putting record data in context

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
Post Reply
User avatar
elmosgirl
Veteran
Veteran
Posts: 121
Joined: 13 May 2010, 17:19

putting record data in context

Post by elmosgirl »

My research has always involved efforts to learn about much more than names and dates for the families I've studied.

I'd appreciate having context for a word in a record I have.

A 33 year old paternal GreatGreatUncle was a witness to an 1824 wedding held in the small comune of Scisciano outside Naples. The comune had less than 2000 people living there in 1861 so I can only imagine what the population might have been 40 years earlier.

The record reports his
professione
as
Benetante regni solo.
I can translate the words, but would really like to learn the social context they capture.

Who might he have been in that small place when characterized that way?

Knowing this would tell me so much more about my family's history, and thank you for your replies!
User avatar
mmogno
Master
Master
Posts: 4676
Joined: 14 Mar 2016, 22:29

Re: putting record data in context

Post by mmogno »

Maybe "Benestante regnicolo"
Emilio Lussu: “Che ne sarebbe della civiltà del mondo, se l’ingiusta violenza si potesse sempre imporre senza resistenza?”
🇺🇦 Slava Ukraine! 🇺🇦
🇮🇱תחי ישראל🇮🇱
User avatar
elmosgirl
Veteran
Veteran
Posts: 121
Joined: 13 May 2010, 17:19

Re: putting record data in context

Post by elmosgirl »

Thank you for your reply. The words don't add to what I asked for though.

Why would a comune's citizen be described this way? What did it say about the person?

It isn't a description I've found in other records.

Doesn't mean it isn't there! Just that I haven't come across it!
User avatar
PippoM
Master
Master
Posts: 5840
Joined: 25 Aug 2004, 00:00
Location: Roma, Italia
Contact:

Re: putting record data in context

Post by PippoM »

"regnicolo" just means that he was a citizen of the Kingdom of Two Sicilies.
"Benestante", "Civile", "Proprietario", "Possidente" are different degrees of higher level social status, that are esteemed to be about 10% of the population of that time.
Giuseppe "Pippo" Moccaldi

Certificate requests and genealogical researches in Italy.
Translation of your (old) documents and letters.
Legal assistance in Italy for your Italian citizenship.
User avatar
elmosgirl
Veteran
Veteran
Posts: 121
Joined: 13 May 2010, 17:19

Re: putting record data in context

Post by elmosgirl »

Thank you so much PippoM!

This adds to my understanding of,and appreciation
for,my paternal family.

Even about those who lived 200 years ago!
Post Reply