Passenger List US to Italy

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
Post Reply
demari18
Elite
Elite
Posts: 288
Joined: 21 Apr 2012, 15:12

Passenger List US to Italy

Post by demari18 »

Greetings,
I am researching my husband's aunt, Maria Santa Liberatore and recently found her birth record that she was born in Providence, RI. I knew her and she spoke broken English so I always thought she was born in Italy.
Seems she was born in 1904 to Bernardino Liberatore and Regina DiTomasa and is not listed in the 1910 or 1920 US census. She next appears on a passenger list from 1924 coming from Naples to New York at the age of 19. (Line 5)

https://www.ancestry.com/imageviewer/co ... 4028123927

Is there a place to search passenger lists from the US to Italy between 1900 and 1920? I am curious to find out way she and perhaps her family left the US.

The immigration passenger list states her father as the closest relative in Italy and she was traveling to be with her uncle Antonio Liberatore in Providence, RI. She lived in Cagnano Amiterno L'Aquila Italy.

Thank you, DeMari
erudita74
Master
Master
Posts: 9245
Joined: 27 Aug 2012, 20:26

Re: Passenger List US to Italy

Post by erudita74 »

Unfortunately, there are no passenger lists from US to Italy for that time period.

Erudita
darkerhorse
Master
Master
Posts: 4006
Joined: 11 Jun 2020, 18:31

Re: Passenger List US to Italy

Post by darkerhorse »

Do you have her passport application?
demari18
Elite
Elite
Posts: 288
Joined: 21 Apr 2012, 15:12

Re: Passenger List US to Italy

Post by demari18 »

I do not have her passport application but that gives me a place to look that I hadn't thought about. Thank you very much! DeMari
User avatar
PippoM
Master
Master
Posts: 5840
Joined: 25 Aug 2004, 00:00
Location: Roma, Italia
Contact:

Re: Passenger List US to Italy

Post by PippoM »

Maybe I'm wrong, but it seems weird that she was listed as Italian in 1924.
As she was born in the USA, she should have had American citizenship.
Also, I see a lot of homonimies for people coming from that area of Italy.
Are you sure taht the birth record you have is actually hers?
Giuseppe "Pippo" Moccaldi

Certificate requests and genealogical researches in Italy.
Translation of your (old) documents and letters.
Legal assistance in Italy for your Italian citizenship.
demari18
Elite
Elite
Posts: 288
Joined: 21 Apr 2012, 15:12

Re: Passenger List US to Italy

Post by demari18 »

Thank you! I will check again which is always best! DeMari
Post Reply