Marriage Index
-
darkerhorse
- Master

- Posts: 4006
- Joined: 11 Jun 2020, 18:31
Marriage Index
Can someone find the 1934 or 1935 marriage record for Stephen Guarino and Catherine Sullivan occurring in Queens, NY in the following source: New York, New York, U.S., Marriage License Indexes, 1907-2018.
Re: Marriage Index
Dec 22, 1934 certificate # 7710 Queens
Later, when I'm on my computer, I'll send you a link to the free online indices, but there is no additional info
Erudita
Later, when I'm on my computer, I'll send you a link to the free online indices, but there is no additional info
Erudita
-
darkerhorse
- Master

- Posts: 4006
- Joined: 11 Jun 2020, 18:31
Re: Marriage Index
Thanks. That's very helpful. Does that website also have births and deaths?
Re: Marriage Index
It's a difficult website to navigate-here are some links:
https://archive.org/details/NYC_Geograp ... 5/mode/1up
https://archive.org/details/NYC_Geograp ... b/mode/1up
https://archive.org/details/votersList1924NYCQueens
https://archive.org/details/reclaimtherecords
there is a NYS death index but I don't see indices specifically for NYC. There's also a city of Yonkers death index. Also indices for NJ, should you need those.
https://archive.org/details/nydeathinde ... eek&page=2
on the left side of the page, you can select options to serve as filters under categories such as year, topics and subjects, etc.
Erudita
https://archive.org/details/NYC_Geograp ... 5/mode/1up
https://archive.org/details/NYC_Geograp ... b/mode/1up
https://archive.org/details/votersList1924NYCQueens
https://archive.org/details/reclaimtherecords
there is a NYS death index but I don't see indices specifically for NYC. There's also a city of Yonkers death index. Also indices for NJ, should you need those.
https://archive.org/details/nydeathinde ... eek&page=2
on the left side of the page, you can select options to serve as filters under categories such as year, topics and subjects, etc.
Erudita
Re: Marriage Index
Erudita, the Queens Marriage index lists grooms on the left side of the page and brides on the right side of the page. However, for the same line across both the groom and the bride, the bride does not seem to match up with the groom in terms of dates and numbers. How are you supposed to make sense of this?
Ron
Ron
Re: Marriage Index
Yes, I have seen those in the past, but with these you have to either know both spouses' names, and find those individually under the first two letters of their surnames to match up the certificate numbers, or go through the indices for a particular year and match up the certificate numbers, if you only know one of the spouse's names.
Re: Marriage Index
Typical of the poor record keeping by NYC. They also never show the parents of the bride and the groom which would be very useful information. Parents might help add new information to a tree or confirm that a record is for the right person and not another person with the same name which is especially prevalent for Italian families based on their naming traditions.
Ron
Ron
Re: Marriage Index
For searching New York City birth, marriage, and death records, I have found this website to be very helpful:
https://www.italiangen.org/databases/
Once on it, first select DATABASES. On the next screen click on the down arrow to the right of Select a Database.
Ron
https://www.italiangen.org/databases/
Once on it, first select DATABASES. On the next screen click on the down arrow to the right of Select a Database.
Ron
Re: Marriage Index
Ron
The italiangen website has been around for a long time and now has a new look and updated databases. Unfortunately, even though there is a search engine to search the databases, not everything can be found on there. Try finding the couple that darkerhorse asked about and, although there are people with the same names that do come up by searching, the couple he needed does not. Yet, you supposedly can search marriages for all five boroughs up to 1937, but not by selecting only one of the boroughs. Also since the names have been extracted from the original databases, there are a lot of misspellings. My one grandmother in the bride's index does not come up if you search her with her maiden name which started with the letters, CO, as whoever deciphered the name from the index came up with TE instead. I only know this because I searched my grandfather in the groom's index and her name is shown next to his there. I also don't see the option for the groom's and bride's indices searches for a soundex search to yield names that are misspelled but close sounding. I believe that option used to be there but now it's not.
Erudita
The italiangen website has been around for a long time and now has a new look and updated databases. Unfortunately, even though there is a search engine to search the databases, not everything can be found on there. Try finding the couple that darkerhorse asked about and, although there are people with the same names that do come up by searching, the couple he needed does not. Yet, you supposedly can search marriages for all five boroughs up to 1937, but not by selecting only one of the boroughs. Also since the names have been extracted from the original databases, there are a lot of misspellings. My one grandmother in the bride's index does not come up if you search her with her maiden name which started with the letters, CO, as whoever deciphered the name from the index came up with TE instead. I only know this because I searched my grandfather in the groom's index and her name is shown next to his there. I also don't see the option for the groom's and bride's indices searches for a soundex search to yield names that are misspelled but close sounding. I believe that option used to be there but now it's not.
Erudita