Requesting church records

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
Post Reply
thesle
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 3
Joined: 05 Apr 2023, 19:49

Requesting church records

Post by thesle »

Hello,

I am about to request some baptism records from a church (Casella, Liguria, Genova) since my ancestor was born in 1806/1807 and there are no other sources.

My question is, since this is for citizenship paperwork should I ask for just a copy or some sort of certified official copy?

If its the latter, what is the process to do so?

Thanks in advance
User avatar
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.
Posts: 15251
Joined: 20 Feb 2003, 00:00
Location: Molise region, Italy
Contact:

Re: Requesting church records

Post by suanj »

You must request the: "certificate of baptism with endorsement by the Curia for the use of Italian citizenship - ius sanguinis."
The Curia of Genoa has provided for this form
https://view.officeapps.live.com/op/vie ... ttachment- for-request-historical-baptism-deeds.doc&wdOrigin=BROWSELINK
and here you can find the explanations:
https://www.chiesadigenova.it/archivios ... rocchiali/
Regards,
suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
thesle
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 3
Joined: 05 Apr 2023, 19:49

Re: Requesting church records

Post by thesle »

Thanks a lot! It seems that Casella is now under the Diocesi of Tortona so unless that work for the whole Archidiocesi I might need to look for another way to contact them.

Thanks again!
cedrone
Master
Master
Posts: 627
Joined: 23 Feb 2020, 22:01

Re: Requesting church records

Post by cedrone »

You may use the same form to ask the certificate to the parish, then it will be sent to the diocese of Tortona for the legalization.
I'll look if there are additional instructions on the website of the diocese.
User avatar
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.
Posts: 15251
Joined: 20 Feb 2003, 00:00
Location: Molise region, Italy
Contact:

Re: Requesting church records

Post by suanj »

The priest of parish makes the legalization- endorsement more appropriately, directly. He goes to the Curia of the Diocese, by appointment, and he must sign the baptism certificate in presence of Bishop or the Vicary, or in presence of a delegate of Bishop in the Curia and then the parish priest can send the baptism certificate to you. This is the procedure.
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
Post Reply