I've attached the birth records of Salvatore Puma and Evangelista Lorusso for reference.
1. Salvatore Puma was born in Racalmuto, Agrigento, Sicily on May 26, 1896. The street where he was born was Via Corso, which no longer exists in Racalmuto. The number of the street is indicated, but I cannot translate it. Need to know that too. My hope is that someone can figure out what street Via Corso is today so that I can go to Google Earth and get a photo of it.
2. Evangelista Lorusso was born in Altamura, Bari, Puglia, Italy on September 18, 1900. The street where he was born was 58 Via Poverta which no longer exists in Altamura. My hope is that someone can figure out what street Via Poverta is today so that I can go to Google Earth and get a photo of it.
Birth streets no longer exist
Re: Birth streets no longer exist
Ron
For via Corso in Racalmuto (al numero senza)- without a number-so no house number on via Corso- I suggest you send an email to the town’s Pro Loco organization which is involved with the tourist industry there. Members of that organization should know the history of the town and about street name changes. I also saw online a Via Corso Garibaldi referred to by this organization which may be the same street as via Giuseppe Garibaldi on current maps.
racalmutoproloco@gmail.com
Erudita
For via Corso in Racalmuto (al numero senza)- without a number-so no house number on via Corso- I suggest you send an email to the town’s Pro Loco organization which is involved with the tourist industry there. Members of that organization should know the history of the town and about street name changes. I also saw online a Via Corso Garibaldi referred to by this organization which may be the same street as via Giuseppe Garibaldi on current maps.
racalmutoproloco@gmail.com
Erudita
Re: Birth streets no longer exist
Thanks Erudita. Three years later his father died at 46 Via Matria in Racalmuto which still exists today and I have a photo of it from Google Earth. So apparently they moved from Via Corso after he was born.
Just looked up the birth certificate of one of his older brothers born in 1892. He was born at 51 Via Corso. Pretty sure, that must be the same address where Salvatore Puma was born.
Ron
Just looked up the birth certificate of one of his older brothers born in 1892. He was born at 51 Via Corso. Pretty sure, that must be the same address where Salvatore Puma was born.
Ron
Re: Birth streets no longer exist
The "Corso" was the main street of a town.
It usually did not had have a name.
I'd bet it's now via Garibaldi.
It usually did not had have a name.
I'd bet it's now via Garibaldi.
Giuseppe "Pippo" Moccaldi
Certificate requests and genealogical researches in Italy.
Translation of your (old) documents and letters.
Legal assistance in Italy for your Italian citizenship.
Certificate requests and genealogical researches in Italy.
Translation of your (old) documents and letters.
Legal assistance in Italy for your Italian citizenship.
Re: Birth streets no longer exist
Thanks for the clarification about Corso, Pippo.PippoM wrote: 07 Nov 2023, 11:01 The "Corso" was the main street of a town.
It usually did not had have a name.
I'd bet it's now via Garibaldi.
Erudita
Re: Birth streets no longer exist
Interesting enough, in addition to no street number for Via Corso on his birth record, there were birth records of his older siblings with Via Corso as the street with different numbers - 51, 45, and 30. I'm sure that the family did not move all those times so close together. Just witnesses incorrectly guessing at the street number when asked by the town officials. Also, right next to 45, 47, and 49 numbered doors on Garibaldi today is a store with the word "Corso" and other words I can't translate on its sign.
Those words are Edicola Del Corso on one line. Tabacchi above it. Cartolibreria Articola Da Regato Profumeria below it.
Ron
Those words are Edicola Del Corso on one line. Tabacchi above it. Cartolibreria Articola Da Regato Profumeria below it.
Ron
