Italian Dual Citizenship

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
nygren

Italian Dual Citizenship

Post by nygren »

Hello everybody. I want to start off by mentioning that I was a regular here over a decade ago. I deleted my account, long story. I was much younger and was trying to find out about my illegitimate great-grandfather. I am not going to go there, instead I am interested in getting my dual citizenship. This has been something I have been wanting to do for a long time. I was going to pay to have it done but when they came back with an estimate of close to $10,000, I put it on hold. I started doing the research and have learned that I can do the whole thing myself in less than they were going to charge me for just the application fee. I am super excited.
Wendyatskyline

Re: Italian Dual Citizenship

Post by Wendyatskyline »

Hi,

What is the first place of contact to become an Italian Citizen. My grandfather was born in Bari. I have my fathers birth original birth certificate showing he was born in Italy.

Thank you
Wendy Fazio
cedrone
Master
Master

Post by cedrone »

Please explain: was your father born in Italy or the US?
In any case you are Italian citizen, if your grandfather and your father didn't renounce to the Italian citizenship.
First write the date of birth, immigration, death of your grandfather and father.
Look for a possible request of naturalization of your grand-father (= renounce to the Italian citizenship)
If not present, you are Italian.
cedrone
Master
Master

Post by cedrone »

If you are lucky, your grand-father had been registered at the Italian consulate after immigration (and possible later your father).
If so, you need only to present your papers (birth, marriage, (divorce), birth of sons)
If not, the same documents beginning from your grand-father.
nygren

Post by nygren »

Wendyatskyline wrote: 26 Mar 2024, 22:50 Hi,

What is the first place of contact to become an Italian Citizen. My grandfather was born in Bari. I have my fathers birth original birth certificate showing he was born in Italy.

Thank you
Wendy Fazio
You want to find your local Italian Consulate. This might be helpful if you are, like me, in California.

https://conslosangeles.esteri.it/wp-con ... 8.2023.pdf
nygren

Post by nygren »

I have a few questions regarding documentation for dual-citizenship.

1) Is the Certificate of Naturalization required for my great-grandfather? I have never obtained this document.

2) Can a "simple copy" of an Italian record be a copy from the LDS Archives?

This is all for now. Thanks!
cedrone
Master
Master

Post by cedrone »

Details of documents ase on the consulate websites.
You need documents of the naturalization or no naturalization of the ancestor arrived from Italy.
I'll add details later.

2. What is LDS?
Italian documents
cedrone
Master
Master

Post by cedrone »

Details of documents are on the consulate websites.
You need documents of the naturalization or no naturalization of the ancestor arrived from Italy.
I'll add details later.

2. What is LDS?
Italian documents should come from Italy, depending on year and location they can be civil or church acts or certificates, on paper, sent by mail.
Now civil certificates may be sent by e-mail, with a certified digital signature, but it is not yet known if they are accepted by consulates.
nygren

Post by nygren »

cedrone wrote: 02 May 2024, 12:51 Details of documents ase on the consulate websites.
I'll add details later.

2. What is LDS?
Italian documents

1) LDS is Later Day Saints. I am wondering if when the consulate requests a "simple copy" it can be copy printed from the website (familysearch.org) rather than a copy obtained directly from the office of vital records.

2) I have received the declaration of intention, petition for naturalization and oath of allegiance. I was wondering if the consulate requires, in addition, the actually certificate of naturalization, for my great-grandfather who was naturalized or if the other documents are sufficient.
cedrone
Master
Master

Post by cedrone »

I'll write you tomorrow
qualdom
Veteran
Veteran

Post by qualdom »

nygren wrote: 02 May 2024, 19:30 2) I have received the declaration of intention, petition for naturalization and oath of allegiance. I was wondering if the consulate requires, in addition, the actually certificate of naturalization, for my great-grandfather who was naturalized or if the other documents are sufficient.
What I have always read is that the consulates are satisfied with the petition for naturalization and the oath of allegiance as proof of the naturalization date, whereas the courts in Italy for 1948 cases preferred the naturalization certificate.

However, much like a criminal case, you can never have too much evidence for Italian citizenship. Maybe you should request the naturalization certificate too...especially while it's still only $65.
cedrone
Master
Master

Post by cedrone »

From the website of the consulate in New York:

If Italian-born ancestor became a U.S. citizen:

* Certificate of Naturalization: notarized copy. No translation required.

OR one of the following:

* Declaration of intention, Petition for naturalization and Oath of allegiance in certified copy, issued by the National Archives (NARA). No Apostille nor translation required.

* If naturalization took place at a local Court/County, certified copy of Declaration of intention, Petition for naturalization and Oath of allegiance with Apostille. No translation required

* Declaration of intention, petition for naturalization and naturalization certificate issued in photocopy by US Immigration and Naturalization Services (USCIS) along with the envelope the records were sent with. No translation required.
____