Struggling to find info on Italian ancestors

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
Wintertime

Struggling to find info on Italian ancestors

Post by Wintertime »

Hey, everyone. My ancestry is overwhelmingly English and Irish, so I don't even know where to begin with my Irish ancestors. I was hoping someone here could advise me on how I can find out more.

All I know is:

- Gaetano Somma was born circa 1867 in Gragnano, Naples.

- Gaetano married Maria Cuoma, who was born circa 1872 somewhere in Italy. I can't find a marriage record in England, so I presume they married in Italy.

- By 1891, Gaetano & Maria had emigrated to England. They can be found at West Street, West Ham, Essex in the 1891 England census as visitors in the household of Domenico Togneri (born circa 1862 in Italy).

- Between 1891-1895, Gaetano and Maria have three children in West Ham, Essex: Leopoldo in 1891, Angelo in 1893, and Annunziata AKA Annie in 1895. According to the General Register Office, the mother's maiden name of all three children is CUOMA. These are the only sources I have for Maria's maiden name.

- In 1897, Maria dies at the age of 25 in West Ham, Essex.

- In 1898, Gaetano remarries to Maddalena Romano in Holborn, London. As far as I can tell, they had no children.

- By the time of the 1901 census, the family had moved to Bradford, Yorkshire.

- In the 1911 census, the family are still living in Bradford, and all their names are mistranscribed. Someone whose name is transcribed as "Caked Somms", born circa 1887 in Naples, Italy, is listed as a relative of Gaetano. "Anny Romeman", born circa 1890 in Naples, Italy, and "Andrew Romeman", born circa 1894 in Naples, Italy, are two other "relatives" living with the family.

- In the 1921 census, Gaetano & Maddalena are living at the same address in Bradford, with their nephew Alfonso Romano aged 13 years and 8 months born in London. It is written that both of Alfonso's parents were still alive at the time of the census.

- In 1926, Gaetano dies in Bradford, Yorkshire.
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Re: Struggling to find info on Italian ancestors

Post by suanj »

Originally the surname was Di Somma but the "Di" was eliminated over time.
IF you are pretty sure that your ancestor was born in Gragnan, I can say you that the civil records of Gragnano available online end in 1865 (Antenati website) and start again on the familysearch website from 1901. So with the years of birth provided it is not possible to search, but I can tell you that a Gaetano was born on August 7, 1865 son of Angelo, 26 years old, macaroni maker, and Angela Perrotti, 24 years old.
https://antenati.cultura.gov.it/ark:/12 ... 50/5GbkN2z
The maiden name of Maria right spelling is CUOMO

Abt Romano line:
I can say you that the Family coming from Scala, Salerno, IT.
Naples is the capital of Campania region. Campania region has many province, like Napoli/Naples (town province and capital of region) and Salerno (town and province)

Andrea/Andrew Romano was born in Scala on 26 Jun 1894 son of Alfonso and Angelarosa Rispoli.
birth record: https://antenati.cultura.gov.it/ark:/12 ... 77/LadNEyK

Francesco Romano was born in Scala on 28 jun 1881 son of Alfonso and Angelarosa Rispoli
birth record: https://antenati.cultura.gov.it/ark:/12 ... 64/Lm8j1eK

Maddalena Romano born in Scala on 5 dec 1873 daughter of Alfonso and Angela Rosa Rispoli
birth record: https://antenati.cultura.gov.it/ark:/12 ... 56/5G2QYlv

Maria Romano born in Scala on 20 Aug 1886 daughter of Alfonso and Angelarosa Rispoli
birth record: https://antenati.cultura.gov.it/ark:/12 ... 69/58KrQ7O
Anna Romano born in Scala on 6 sep 1890 daughter of Alfonso and Angela Rosa Rispoli
birth record: https://antenati.cultura.gov.it/ark:/12 ... 73/0ZGny2o

hoping helpful,
suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
Wintertime

Post by Wintertime »

suanj wrote: 11 Jun 2023, 09:40 Originally the surname was Di Somma but the "Di" was eliminated over time.
IF you are pretty sure that your ancestor was born in Gragnan, I can say you that the civil records of Gragnano available online end in 1865 (Antenati website) and start again on the familysearch website from 1901. So with the years of birth provided it is not possible to search, but I can tell you that a Gaetano was born on August 7, 1865 son of Angelo, 26 years old, macaroni maker, and Angela Perrotti, 24 years old.
https://antenati.cultura.gov.it/ark:/12 ... 50/5GbkN2z
Thank you very much. It looks like it could be my Gaetano, who did name his second son Angelo, maybe after a close male relative as customary. But was Angelo a common name back then?
All the records I have for my Gaetano say he was born between 1866 & 1871. It's not too big of a difference, but enough to make me pause.
I could order Gaetano & Maddalena's marriage certificate to find his father's name. If I find out my Gaetano's father's name was indeed Angelo through that marriage certificate, would you say there is a good chance he is the Gaetano born 7 Aug 1865 to Angelo Di Somma & Angela Perrotti?
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

I believe no just good probability but certainty!
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
ToniRomanoHoward

Post by ToniRomanoHoward »

Hi,
My grandfather is Alfonso Romano, born 1904. The dates don’t quite match up but he lived in Yorkshire (apparently born there but I don’t know that for sure).
I don’t know where in Yorkshire he lived? I’m trying to get his birth certificate but I’m not sure where to start?
Wintertime

Post by Wintertime »

ToniRomanoHoward wrote: 18 Feb 2024, 20:13 Hi,
My grandfather is Alfonso Romano, born 1904. The dates don’t quite match up but he lived in Yorkshire (apparently born there but I don’t know that for sure).
I don’t know where in Yorkshire he lived? I’m trying to get his birth certificate but I’m not sure where to start?
Hi! Sorry for the delay in reply. I have only just seen this.

To find his birth certificate, it's best to use the GRO website (https://www.gro.gov.uk/). You should be able to order a digital copy for £2.50.

I searched the GRO index and the only birth registration I can see of anyone called Alfonso Romano born in England/Wales from 1904-1908 was in July-September 1905 in Greenwich. His mother's maiden surname is left blank, indicating he was illegitimate (i.e. born to an unmarried mother).

I have a copy of the image of Gaetano Somma's household in the 1921 census (at 16 Jury Street, Bradford) and it says his nephew Alfonso Romano was born at Seymour St, London. Google Maps leads me to believe there is a Seymour St in Greenwich but it does happen to be a very common street name in London.
celemtine

Post by celemtine »

ToniRomanoHoward wrote: 18 Feb 2024, 20:13 Hi,
To obtain your grandfather's birth certificate, you can start your search at the General Register Office (GRO) in England and Wales. They keep records of births, marriages and deaths. You can search the online database or request a duplicate birth certificate through their website.

If you are unsure of your grandfather's exact place of birth, you may need to search a wider area within Yorkshire. Gathering as much information as possible about your grandfather's family history will also help your search.