How would a fondling born in 1895 come to know their parents?

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
lyn1982
Elite
Elite

How would a fondling born in 1895 come to know their parents?

Post by lyn1982 »

I'm really confused and curious - my great grandfather was a fondling, but judging from my dna results he had at least some bio family who lived in the same small NY town, Lyons, NY, that he immigrated to in 1914. To me this means that he had to have been in touch with his family. I know he was likely taken in by another family who may or may not be related (cannot get their lines back to check) and his surname was never changed, but could there be a record of them (bio family( claiming him in some way and if so how could I find it? I know I had his military draft from Italy and it had his parents as unknown. He did name his father as being a Domenico, though with the same fake surname that he was given as a fondling. And he put his mother as either Maria Paris or Pavis.

I feel like I'm blindly shooting in the dark here and like I'm not going to progress further on the line without getting some sort of information. I just don't know what exactly to look for or where. He was born in Rome and has at least one if not both parents who were born In Porto Empedocile, Sicily or a nearby town. I would think I have a break in my tree but it turns out I have dna matches to the brother of a man who immigrated from PE to Rome and dna matches to another separate family from PE who have a member or perhaps more who immigrated to Rome.
darkerhorse
Master
Master

Re: How would a fondling born in 1895 come to know their parents?

Post by darkerhorse »

...has at least one if not both parents who were born In Porto Empedocile, Sicily or a nearby town.

Just wondering how you know that?
lyn1982
Elite
Elite

Re: How would a fondling born in 1895 come to know their parents?

Post by lyn1982 »

darkerhorse wrote: 23 May 2024, 20:51 ...has at least one if not both parents who were born In Porto Empedocile, Sicily or a nearby town.

Just wondering how you know that?
Thats what DNA indicates and I did a bunch more research when I discovered some of the dna matches with decendents where my ggf immigrated. This dude https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:7N6J-KPN2 at least has a brother whose decedents I have as DNA matches. But there's other surnames that I have for dna matches that are from PE and in Rome. This imbro is another surname I have dna matches to but I don't know how to place it, https://antenati.cultura.gov.it/detail- ... d=33655659