Guidotti Plaster Figure maker from Lucca?

Do you need information about a certain town or village in Italy, or do you need help to find it on a map?
This forum will give you a helping hand.
Post Reply
cbuehrer
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 3
Joined: 05 Jun 2024, 20:10

Guidotti Plaster Figure maker from Lucca?

Post by cbuehrer »

Hi,
I'm currently researching the Guidotti family in the UK (London, Oxford, and later Birmingham) and their ties to Italy. The head of the family: Vincenzo (Vincent) Guidotti is listed as a "figure and medallion maker", and "figure maker" on several historical records/documents (including censuses). He was born sometime around 1811 (according to UK documents), and emigrated from Italy sometime before marrying in the UK in 1833. Italy is listed always as his birthplace, but never a specific town. It is my understanding that during this period Italian plaster figure makers usually immigrated to the UK from villages in the mountains north of Lucca or generally around the Lucca area. Does anyone have any advice on how to tackle this?

(General curiosity is appreciated as well, I can answer any further questions anyone has)

I was planning on using https://www.cognomix.it/ as a guide for which areas to look through first but should I just look through every mountainous commune by Lucca (including those in southern Emilia-Romagna)? Honestly the records are pretty difficult to decipher so contemplating hiring someone professional if I have too much trouble.

Thanks for taking the time to read this :)
mjclayton1
Elite
Elite
Posts: 441
Joined: 01 Jun 2014, 18:11
Location: Peninsula, San Francisco Bay Area

Re: Guidotti Plaster Figure maker from Lucca?

Post by mjclayton1 »

It seems like a DNA test would be a really good start. Have you done that? There are just so many clues/leads possible from that type of information.
Post Reply