Hello!
I'm looking for any information about my great-grandfather.
His Name is Gerolamo Tolenti and his birth cerficate provided by the the Comune di Genova states that he was born in in Genova (GE) Vico Nuevo N.6 di Ponticello back in July 20th 1877. Unknown Parents.
But I had a another birth certificate in paper original one I am 99% sure that states :
Ospizio per l'infanzia abbandonata del circondario di Genova. Certificato di nascita e d'inscrizione nei registri dell'infante.
Gerolamo Tolenti figli di: genitori ignoti.
Batezzato 21 Luglio 1877 nella capella interna dell ospizio (last word can't figure it out but I assume is ospizio)
Was he born and then brought to this ospizio mabye? Is it vico nuevo N.6 di poncitello a hospital or and address? There is none Tolenti in italy currently. 13 years ago I talked to a ma'am named "Tanzi-Tolenti. The funniest thing is that she has the double surname because her great-great-grandfather was an orphan and was in Mr. Tanzi's orphanage when he was adopted by Mr. Tolenti who she have never found, no info ...we are talking about around 1800.
Any answer to one of my questions or any information will be appreciated. I guess any information about any Tolenti will be helpfull.
"Italia, Genova, Stato Civile (Archivio di Stato), 1796-1812, 1838-1859, 1866-1899"
Thank you so much in advance.
I attached the document from I think di Archivio di Stato above, the Certificate of Birth provided by the Comuna di Genova and what I think it's the original one I have from 1877 ( it's inside an Argentinian Folio birth Certificate from 1912)
Looking for Tolenti in Italy.
-
Luciano Tolenti
- Newbie

- Posts: 9
- Joined: 04 Nov 2024, 07:19
Looking for Tolenti in Italy.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
-
AngelaGrace56
- Master

- Posts: 8078
- Joined: 16 Oct 2012, 10:54
Re: Looking for Tolenti in Italy.
Hi Luciano
Welcome to the forum and I’m sorry it has taken so long for you to receive a response. (It seems like there has been many new forumers join up of late and my thinking is that it took a while to clear their first posts.)
See my replies in blue below where I’ll try and clarify some things. Hopefully someone else might be able to share more with you about the institution that your Gerolamo was sent to ie Ospizio per L’Infanzia Abbandonata del Circondario di Genova (basically a foundling home).
I hope this helps. If you have any other questions just ask.
Angela
Welcome to the forum and I’m sorry it has taken so long for you to receive a response. (It seems like there has been many new forumers join up of late and my thinking is that it took a while to clear their first posts.)
See my replies in blue below where I’ll try and clarify some things. Hopefully someone else might be able to share more with you about the institution that your Gerolamo was sent to ie Ospizio per L’Infanzia Abbandonata del Circondario di Genova (basically a foundling home).
Luciano Tolenti wrote: 04 Nov 2024, 08:37 Hello!
I'm looking for any information about my great-grandfather.
His Name is Gerolamo Tolenti and his birth cerficate provided by the the Comune di Genova states that he was born in in Genova (GE) Vico Nuovo N.6 di Ponticello back in July 20th 1877. Unknown Parents.
The Civil Birth Record was registered by the midwife, Angela Dacia. I am reading that she reported that at 12 o’clock on 20 July 1877 “in the house” in Vico Nuovo di Ponticello, No 6, from a woman who did not consent to be named, was born a baby boy of male sex who she did not present to the official (referring to the baby), and to who was given the name of Gerolamo and the surname of Tolenti. Then there is a note at the bottom to say that for a valid reason the Official exempted the midwife from presenting the child (as was normally done) because he had otherwise been convinced of the truth of the birth.
But I had a another birth certificate in paper original one I am 99% sure that states :
Ospizio per l'infanzia abbandonata del circondario di Genova. Certificato di nascita e d'inscrizione nei registri dell'infante.
Gerolamo Tolenti figli di: genitori ignoti.
Batezzato 21 Luglio 1877 nella capella interna dell ospizio (last word can't figure it out but I assume is ospizio)
I wouldn’t call it a “birth” certificate per se. This is what I am understanding that it says:
It is declared and certified that in the Registers of infants admitted to the Ospizio in the year 1877, under the number 367 Letter B, the male infant born on 20 July 1877, son of unknown parents, was registered in the birth certificates of the Civil Status of Genoa under the name of Gerolamo and the surname of Tolenti.
The infant was baptized on 21 July 1877 in the Ospizio’s Chapel.
Dated Genoa 7 November 1900
Was he born and then brought to this ospizio maybe? Is it vico nuovo N.6 di ponticello a hospital or and address?
This is what I am understanding. He was born in the house in Vico Nuovo di Ponticello, No 6 and then transferred to the foundling home. It’s really strange though that there is no indication in the Civil Birth Record that the midwife was to take the baby to the foundling home, which is what I have noted in other such records, so she obviously must have taken the baby to the Ospiti already?
There is none Tolenti in italy currently. 13 years ago I talked to a ma'am named "Tanzi-Tolenti. The funniest thing is that she has the double surname because her great-great-grandfather was an orphan and was in Mr. Tanzi's orphanage when he was adopted by Mr. Tolenti who she have never found, no info ...we are talking about around 1800.
That's interesting because generally the surnames that were given to children of unknown parents were invented. They were suppose to be unique, I think to prevent any negative stigma. I can't quite remember when things changed because initially all little ones born without known parents were given quite demeaning names which they had to carry around with them for the rest of the their lives.
Any answer to one of my questions or any information will be appreciated. I guess any information about any Tolenti will be helpfull.
"Italia, Genova, Stato Civile (Archivio di Stato), 1796-1812, 1838-1859, 1866-1899"
Thank you so much in advance.
I attached the document from I think di Archivio di Stato above, the Certificate of Birth provided by the Comuna di Genova and what I think it's the original one I have from 1877 ( it's inside an Argentinian Folio birth Certificate from 1912)
I hope this helps. If you have any other questions just ask.
Angela
-
Luciano Tolenti
- Newbie

- Posts: 9
- Joined: 04 Nov 2024, 07:19
Re: Looking for Tolenti in Italy.
Hello Angela,
Thank you so much for taking the time and dedication to help me. I’m really sorry for the delay in replying — I wanted to come back once I had the chance to go through everything more carefully.
Your help truly meant a lot to me. It clarified many things and really helped illuminate my research. It also opened my mind and allowed me to organize the information in a much clearer way.
I sincerely appreciate your generosity and the knowledge you shared.
Thank you again!
Thank you so much for taking the time and dedication to help me. I’m really sorry for the delay in replying — I wanted to come back once I had the chance to go through everything more carefully.
Your help truly meant a lot to me. It clarified many things and really helped illuminate my research. It also opened my mind and allowed me to organize the information in a much clearer way.
I sincerely appreciate your generosity and the knowledge you shared.
Thank you again!
-
AngelaGrace56
- Master

- Posts: 8078
- Joined: 16 Oct 2012, 10:54
Re: Looking for Tolenti in Italy.
Hi Luciano
You are very welcome for the help. Looking at your other post: https://www.italiangenealogy.com/forum/topic/56868 it seems I have the midwife’s surname incorrect, so I am pleased you have reposted and that mmogno has given the correct surname. I remember being unsure about what was written after Angela at the time as it wasn’t clear to me, and would have checked her signature where it is signed Angela Dacca’ (not Dacia) (her husband’s surname, which is unusual given that Italian women retain their “maiden” names after marriage.) The wording there is “Angela Ghisalberti in Dacca’.
Best to you with your research.
Angela
You are very welcome for the help. Looking at your other post: https://www.italiangenealogy.com/forum/topic/56868 it seems I have the midwife’s surname incorrect, so I am pleased you have reposted and that mmogno has given the correct surname. I remember being unsure about what was written after Angela at the time as it wasn’t clear to me, and would have checked her signature where it is signed Angela Dacca’ (not Dacia) (her husband’s surname, which is unusual given that Italian women retain their “maiden” names after marriage.) The wording there is “Angela Ghisalberti in Dacca’.
Best to you with your research.
Angela