COMMITO family from Raiano, L'Aquila

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
wldspirit
Staff
Staff
Posts: 5606
Joined: 17 Nov 2004, 00:00
Location: U.S.A.
Contact:

Re: COMMITO family from Raiano, L'Aquila

Post by wldspirit »

Death record of John and Angelo.......

COMMITO ANGELO A
M/W (sex/race)
UNK (age)
0024845 (certificate #)
1944-09-04 (death date)
COOK CHICAGO (county/city)


COMMITO JOHN
M/W
UNK
6016189 (certificate #)
1926-05-05 (death date)
COOK CHICAGO
26-05-07 (date filed)

wldspirit
User avatar
pjdoitnow
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 22
Joined: 24 Jul 2006, 00:00
Location: Phoenix, AZ

Re: COMMITO family from Raiano, L'Aquila

Post by pjdoitnow »

Hi Nuccia,

I have still not been able to find your reference to a sister for Luisa. is it under a different last name?

i have been enjoying all the information you have sent. thank you form my heart.

Pamela
vj
Master
Master
Posts: 8066
Joined: 16 Aug 2002, 00:00

Re: COMMITO family from Raiano, L'Aquila

Post by vj »

Pamela, you asked
"I have still not been able to find your reference to a sister for Luisa. is it under a different last name?"

(Reply for Nuccia)
on the first page of your post, Nuccia has links for the ship manifest
try this page (1 of 2) lines 23-25, then column 11 for sister in Italy.

http://ellisisland.org/EIFile/popup_wei ... &line=0025

Hope this helps! vj
vj
Master
Master
Posts: 8066
Joined: 16 Aug 2002, 00:00

Re: COMMITO family from Raiano, L'Aquila

Post by vj »

Pamela, you said
"i now need to trace them back to Raiano for Lousietta and i have no clue where Grandfather Angelo came from."

It's a good chance your grandfather Angelo Commito (b 1881) was also from Raiano.
Although several of us have been looking for his manifest & 1910 census, it's likely that this is his cousin from Raiano joining him in Chicago in 1910.

manifest for cousin Cesidio COMMITO, 22 (1888), single
SS Koenig Albert, 25 Nov 1910, Naples to NY, line 10
last residence Raiano, Aquila
father in Raiano Antonio
going to Chicago, IL
not in US before
joining cousin Angelo COMMITO at 771 W Taylor St, Chicago
born in Raiano, Aquila
page 1
http://ellisisland.org/EIFile/popup_wei ... &line=0010
page 2
http://ellisisland.org/EIFile/popup_wei ... &line=0010
Hope this helps! vj :)
nuccia
Staff
Staff
Posts: 4606
Joined: 20 Nov 2005, 00:00
Location: Toronto, Canada
Contact:

Re: COMMITO family from Raiano, L'Aquila

Post by nuccia »

I've filled the extract form out..mind you its 2 am so I hope I didn't make too many mistakes..should be getting ready for work...Should have used spreadsheet but hopefully it helps anyway.

Keep in mind, on the original manifest there are some markings which I can't read..the passenger travelling above Louisa..person of interest perhaps..a cousin?

This Sheet is for. passengers List # 211
Extracted information from List or Manifest at Port of Arrival
S.S. Taorimina Other page nums:
Sailing from Naples Arriving at Ellis Island New York
Date Feb 19, 1911 Date Mar 3, 1911
1 Line Number on List 23 24 25
a 2 Name in Full Family Name Fasciani Commito Commito
Given Name Lusia Giuseppa Ida
3 Age Years 29 4
Months 10
4 Sex F F F
5 Married/Single M S S
6 Calling/Occupation Wife - -
7 Able to: Read No No No
Write No No No
8 Nationality Italian Italian Italian
9 Race or People Italian South Italian South Italian South
10 Last Perm. Residence Country Italy Italy Italy
City/Town Raiano Raiano Raiano
11 Name and address of nearest relative/friend in country whence Alien came. Sister Elisa Elisa Elisa
12 Final Destination State Illinois Illinois Illinois
City/Town Chicago Chicago Chicago
13 Line Number on List 23 24 25
14 Ticket to final destination? Yes Yes
15 Who paid passage? Husband Father Father
16 Have $50? If not how much? $20
17 Ever in US before? No No No
If yes: Year or period
Where?
18 Joining a relative/friend? Who and where? Husband Angelo Commito 606 ?
Chicago Illinois Father Angelo Commito 606 ? Chicago Ill Father Angelo Commito
19 Ever in prison, asylum, etc? No No No
20 A polygamist? No No No
21 An Anarchist? No No No
22 Whether coming by reason...
23 Mental and Physical health Good Good Good
24 Deformed/crippled? Nature & cause No No No
25 Height Feet 5 - -
Inches 3 - -
26 Complexion reg reg reg
27 Color of Hair Brown brown brown
Eyes Brown brown brown
28 Marks of Identification none none none
29 Place of birth Country Italy Italy Italy
City/Town Raiano Raiano Raiano
Source info: Extracted by: Extract date:
Title of microfilm publication NARA pub.num
Publisher Microfilm roll #
Was this record was viewed at www.ellisisland.org? Yes No
Page #
The exact spelling of the primary name as indexed:

Copyright 2003 by Lisa Perkins. All Rights Reserved.

I can email you the sheet if you like..easier to read.

Nuccia
User avatar
pjdoitnow
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 22
Joined: 24 Jul 2006, 00:00
Location: Phoenix, AZ

Re: COMMITO family from Raiano, L'Aquila

Post by pjdoitnow »

Nuccia, thank you for the full documentaiton. i have printed outthose forms and will start filling them in. If you want to email the sheet here is my address pjdoitnow@yahoo.com

VJ, I now see where Elisa is listed, I kept missing that there was a second page. Thank you! I think I have the manifest for Angelo from 1909 and he might have missed the census of 1910, and then died in 1918 so he missed the next one in 1920.

on the 1930 census my grandmother shows two boarders...so now I understand who Uncle Pep was (Peppino).

This should make the Italy trip even more fascinating!

Pamela
jcsm400
V.I.P.
V.I.P.
Posts: 2111
Joined: 31 Jan 2006, 00:00
Location: USA

Re: COMMITO family from Raiano, L'Aquila

Post by jcsm400 »

Hi Pamela,

This is possible death certificate for your Angelo Commito who died in 1918.

COMITO ANGELO M/W UNK 6032498 (certificate #) 1918-10-2 (Date of death) COOK CHICAGO 18-10-23 (file date)

If you want to get a copy of thiis record, here is a link to Cindy in Chicago. She only charges $5.00.....I think it's $10.00 through the county clerk....a really nice lady.

http://www.chicagogenealogy.com/deathreq1.html

jcsm
Researching in San Vitaliano, Napoli, Italy & Armento, Potenza, Italy.
nuccia
Staff
Staff
Posts: 4606
Joined: 20 Nov 2005, 00:00
Location: Toronto, Canada
Contact:

Re: COMMITO family from Raiano, L'Aquila

Post by nuccia »

pjdoitnow wrote:Nuccia, thank you for the full documentaiton. i have printed outthose forms and will start filling them in. If you want to email the sheet here is my address pjdoitnow@yahoo.com

VJ, I now see where Elisa is listed, I kept missing that there was a second page. Thank you! I think I have the manifest for Angelo from 1909 and he might have missed the census of 1910, and then died in 1918 so he missed the next one in 1920.

on the 1930 census my grandmother shows two boarders...so now I understand who Uncle Pep was (Peppino).

This should make the Italy trip even more fascinating!

Pamela
Will email you the sheet in the week...On vacation in a few days so I'll have more time. Glad its coming together for you... :D

Nuccia
User avatar
pjdoitnow
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 22
Joined: 24 Jul 2006, 00:00
Location: Phoenix, AZ

Re: COMMITO family from Raiano, L'Aquila

Post by pjdoitnow »

Ciao Nuccia!

I have had much success in the last two years finding family thanks to you and your help in research. I am still doing the genealogy but am stuck. I have ordered my Grandfather's death certificate from Chicago (Cook County) as I had always been told that he died in the Spanish Influenza of 1918. They have no record of his death!
I am wondering if you had ever come across the 1910 census records? I now know he was born in Vittorito, L'Aquila, Abruzzo and I have been to the Comune in Raiano and verified his Marriage record... but still no death.

suggestions?

thank you in advance,

Pamela Commito
nuccia
Staff
Staff
Posts: 4606
Joined: 20 Nov 2005, 00:00
Location: Toronto, Canada
Contact:

Re: COMMITO family from Raiano, L'Aquila

Post by nuccia »

Hi Pamela! Welcome back. I have to re read this whole thread since its been so long. I did find this though:


Cook County, Illinois Death Index, 1908-1988
about Angelo A Commito
Name: Angelo A Commito
Death Date: 4 Sep 1944
Death Location: Cook County, IL
File Number: 24845
Archive collection name: Cook County Genealogy Records (Deaths)
Archive repository location: Chicago, IL
Archive repository name: Cook County Clerk


Cook County, Illinois Death Index, 1908-1988
about Louisa Commito
Name: Louisa Commito
Death Date: 18 Oct 1979
Death Location: Cook County, IL
File Number: 57417
Archive collection name: Cook County Genealogy Records (Deaths)
Archive repository location: Chicago, IL
Archive repository name: Cook County Clerk


Cook County, Illinois Death Index, 1908-1988
about John Commito
Name: John Commito
Death Date: 5 May 1926
Death Location: Cook County, IL
File Number: 6016189
Archive collection name: Cook County Genealogy Records (Deaths)
Archive repository location: Chicago, IL
Archive repository name: Cook County Clerk

Have vistors from Italy right now so I am in and out but I will try to have a look for you and see what else I can find, ok?
nuccia - IG Moderator
Italian Surname Database
Image
User avatar
pjdoitnow
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 22
Joined: 24 Jul 2006, 00:00
Location: Phoenix, AZ

Re: COMMITO family from Raiano, L'Aquila

Post by pjdoitnow »

Ciao Nuccia,

I spoke directly with the genealogy people in Chicago and sent them the # of the record that I had found, and then they found it and have put it in the mail.

The next BIG problem I have I am praying you have some advice. I have my Father's death certificate, Marriage Certificate and my birth certificate: and for his whole life he signed everything Mario Fiore Commito.

this week I received his Birth certificate and his name is listed as: Mario Angelo Giovanni Commito!

Would it have been a common practice to use your Grandfather's name as your middle name, despite your birth record? How do I resolve this with the Comune when I submit my documents for citizenship?

the Angelo you list in your email is my uncle... Nonno died in 1918, Angelo in 1944. The record lists the name as Comito, so it is misspelled. Do you think I can get that corrected, or do I even need to?

as always, any help is appreciated. Pamela
User avatar
pjdoitnow
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 22
Joined: 24 Jul 2006, 00:00
Location: Phoenix, AZ

Re: COMMITO family from Raiano, L'Aquila

Post by pjdoitnow »

And, please, enjoy your visitors, this can wait. :) Pamela
User avatar
pjdoitnow
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 22
Joined: 24 Jul 2006, 00:00
Location: Phoenix, AZ

Re: COMMITO family from Raiano, L'Aquila

Post by pjdoitnow »

Nuccia,

I have not heard back from you. I hope your visitors had a wonderful time!

I was reading the thread again and I see you have not found the Ellis Island record for GF Angelo Commito. I am working on dual-citizenship and am having trouble finding the date he came from Italy to USA. It should have been prior to his wife, who is listed in 1911.

I am leaving for Raiano, Abruzzi on Friday (4 days from now) and wondered if you had ever foudn the manifest? I have the copy of his cousin, Cesidio, but am puzzled about the 1910 Census and the boat records.

Appreciate any help :)

Pamela
vj
Master
Master
Posts: 8066
Joined: 16 Aug 2002, 00:00

Re: COMMITO family from Raiano, L'Aquila

Post by vj »

pjdoitnow wrote:...have not found the Ellis Island record for GF Angelo Commito. I am working on dual-citizenship and am having trouble finding the date he came from Italy to USA. It should have been prior to his wife, who is listed in 1911...
pjdoitnow wrote:... I think I have the manifest for Angelo from 1909 and he might have missed the census of 1910, and then died in 1918 so he missed the next one in 1920...
Pamela, is this the 1909 manifest you found?

15 Oct 1909, SS Mendoza, Naples to NY
Line 17

1909 manifest
page 2
nuccia
Staff
Staff
Posts: 4606
Joined: 20 Nov 2005, 00:00
Location: Toronto, Canada
Contact:

Re: COMMITO family from Raiano, L'Aquila

Post by nuccia »

Hi Pam..

It's been a busy summer and yes, my company has gone home ... sadly! I haven't done much researching though.

Congrats on the success of at least half your search and on being lucky enough to travel to Italy for a few days. Wish I were in your shoes right now! :)

About changing the name - you're looking at most probably quite of bit of time and expense to change the name back to the original spelling. Because the person is already deceased I know it's much harder and has quite a bit of legal issues involved, but I don't know the specifics. I have heard for some, it has taken years. How much truth to this - I'm not sure.
nuccia - IG Moderator
Italian Surname Database
Image
Post Reply