16th century Female Name Rota?

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
Post Reply
charmaine
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 9
Joined: 04 May 2025, 05:33

16th century Female Name Rota?

Post by charmaine »

Hi,

I'm searching in the Opera di Santa Maria del Fiore baptism records for Florence. I keep coming across the name what looks like Rota, usually as a second or middle name. I've never seen it before. I may be misreading the "t" in the script. Below is a screen shot. And here is the link to the page
https://battesimi.duomo.firenze.it/registri/227 Carte 18r
Rota.JPG
Thanks for any help you can give!

Charmaine
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
User avatar
PippoM
Master
Master
Posts: 5840
Joined: 25 Aug 2004, 00:00
Location: Roma, Italia
Contact:

Re: 16th century Female Name Rota?

Post by PippoM »

Might it be a reference to the fact that they were found in the R(u)ota=Wheel?
Giuseppe "Pippo" Moccaldi

Certificate requests and genealogical researches in Italy.
Translation of your (old) documents and letters.
Legal assistance in Italy for your Italian citizenship.
charmaine
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 9
Joined: 04 May 2025, 05:33

Re: 16th century Female Name Rota?

Post by charmaine »

PippoM,

What does that mean, being found in the wheel?

Here is another snippet. To me, it looks like it would be a middle name.
Rota.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
User avatar
mmogno
Master
Master
Posts: 4676
Joined: 14 Mar 2016, 22:29

Re: 16th century Female Name Rota?

Post by mmogno »

PippoM wrote: 23 Jun 2025, 13:21 Might it be a reference to the fact that they were found in the R(u)ota=Wheel?
Non credo, perché c'è anche la paternità.
Emilio Lussu: “Che ne sarebbe della civiltà del mondo, se l’ingiusta violenza si potesse sempre imporre senza resistenza?”
🇺🇦 Slava Ukraine! 🇺🇦
🇮🇱תחי ישראל🇮🇱
charmaine
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 9
Joined: 04 May 2025, 05:33

Re: 16th century Female Name Rota?

Post by charmaine »

I agree mmogno. It has to be a name, but I don't recognize it, unless it's an abbreviation.
Post Reply