Looking for my grandmother's immigration ship manifest

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
Post Reply
ImWalkinHere!
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 19
Joined: 12 Aug 2018, 19:43

Looking for my grandmother's immigration ship manifest

Post by ImWalkinHere! »

Hello all,

I am having a real hard time finding evidence of my grandmother's (Lucia "Lucy" Lobasso) immigration to America. I know from multiple sources she was born in 1938 in Giovinazzo, Italy. I believe she came to America with her sister Rosa or Rosaria and her Mother Francesca Lobasso (born D'Agostino). I have immigration records that list her father and brother on separate ships in separate years, which corroborates family stories.

I have her and her mother's passport records. Both of them have a stamp in 1957. However, Francesca also has a stamp from 1949 and it says "admitted August 15th 1949" from the U.S. DOJ Dept. of Immigration & Naturalization. I have a 1950 U.S. Census Record showing that she was living in NYC in the same household as all of the rest of her siblings and she is 11 years old. She told people she came on the Andrea Doria, but that seems unlikely given that she was in the USA before 1950, before the ship was built. I have looked through the Ellis Island website a lot but can not find any details about Lucy, Rosa or Francesca. Any help would be much appreciated!!!

--Walkin
User avatar
Tessa78
Master
Master
Posts: 18381
Joined: 07 Sep 2009, 18:09

Re: Looking for my grandmother's immigration ship manifest

Post by Tessa78 »

Can you post the documents you referenced in your post?

Or post a link to each? Especially the 1950 Census and the passports.

Regarding your reference to the Andrea Doria...
Could this be your Francesca? (Italian women travel under their maiden name)
This is an arrival manifest for a Francesca D'Agostino in 1955 on the Andrea Doria. Her US address is listed in Connecticut. (Line 18)
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903 ... n&groupId=

T.
deigo1
Elite
Elite
Posts: 441
Joined: 02 Jan 2022, 17:50

Re: Looking for my grandmother's immigration ship manifest

Post by deigo1 »

Based on the 1950 census it looks like the father is Anthony (Antonio):
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903 ... n&groupId=

Possible marriage of Francesca D'Agostino to Antonio Lobasso in Italy in 1926 in Giovinazzo.

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903 ... cc=2043445

Birth of Francesca : https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903 ... cc=2043445

Birth of Antonio: https://antenati.cultura.gov.it/ark:/12 ... 81/LooKqAX
ImWalkinHere!
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 19
Joined: 12 Aug 2018, 19:43

Re: Looking for my grandmother's immigration ship manifest

Post by ImWalkinHere! »

Hi Tessa and Diego,

Thank you for your attention & effort!
Tessa--Here are the documents you were looking for. Regarding the 1955 voyage--I did see that record. That Francesca seems unlikely because I have the names surrounding that Francesca are not familiar to me and it doesn't include her daughters Lucy and Rosa, who I also can not find.
Links: https://www.familysearch.org/en/memorie ... /228657167 (Passport) https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903 ... n&groupId= (1950Census)

Diego--I do have extensive records and a clear picture of the family tree. I just can't for the life of me figure out why I can't find her immigration records, especially because they were in a well-documented era! It is a bit confounding...
User avatar
Tessa78
Master
Master
Posts: 18381
Joined: 07 Sep 2009, 18:09

Re: Looking for my grandmother's immigration ship manifest

Post by Tessa78 »

Sometimes family stories get the facts confused...

Here is a possible Outbound (very rare) manifest for Rosaria Lobasso on the Andrea Doria in September 1954. Sailing from NY to Naples. Her naturalization date is August 15, 1954. Plan is to stay 2 months.
There is a passport # of 27337.

Naturalization papers should give you her arrival information, and Lucia's if they arrived together.
https://www.ancestry.com/search/collect ... cessSource

Possible index listing for Rosaria's naturalization Petition
https://www.ancestry.com/search/collect ... cessSource

Also...possible manifest of brother Nicola in 1947, at age 14
Line 19
search/collections/7488/records/3038296421?tid=&pid=&queryId=5f1de121-57fb-4d40-97ee-b4fea2d08d75&_phsrc=TAK222&_phstart=successSource

And in July 1954?
https://www.ancestry.com/search/collect ... cessSource

Possible naturalization petition index for Nicola
https://www.ancestry.com/search/collect ... cessSource

T.
deigo1
Elite
Elite
Posts: 441
Joined: 02 Jan 2022, 17:50

Re: Looking for my grandmother's immigration ship manifest

Post by deigo1 »

Nice T, the petition for indexes align to the birth dates of the children their father has on his petition below

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903 ... n&groupId=

Their father uses his crossing in 1916 for his petition, where he is going to join his uncle (mother's brother it appears)
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903 ... n&groupId=

Walkin - Do you know if Lucy ever Naturalized?

Given her younger age it looks like it might have been later years than what Ancestry offers. A key way to find it might be to request her naturalization information from the USCIS (https://www.uscis.gov/records/genealogy). The A file as they call it should have the information related to her crossing etc, that you could then cross reference back. If you think Rosa crossed with her, given what T shared you might be able to locate her quicker in that search, and then use that to find the crossing (hoping they came together). It takes a bit longer in my travels if you don't know the number, its essentially two searches one to find the person then to pull the documents.

Other thoughts could they have came with an aunt or grandmother on the original trip? Where their last names could have gotten ditto marked as having a different last name. I saw that their Grandfather (Nicola Lobasso) was still living here in the 1940's with his married daughter Filamena, and his trip here he had put he was coming to stay with his son Tomasso.

D.
ImWalkinHere!
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 19
Joined: 12 Aug 2018, 19:43

Re: Looking for my grandmother's immigration ship manifest

Post by ImWalkinHere! »

Tessa and Diego..thank you so much for the time and effort you put into this case. It means alot to me and my family to get to the bottom of this one, our grandmother was beloved and always near in our hearts.

Tessa--these look like very promising leads. I never heard of a 1954 crossing from Rosaria, which makes sense since I do not have an ancestry account. I do have a distant family member who does tho, next time I am at their house I will copy and paste the links you provided and view the documents there.

Diego--Thank you for helping to corroborate the information that Tessa provided. I did not think about purchasing the A files for my Grandmother. That sounds like most likely path to finding true documentation. Thank you for this idea.

If you guys or anyone has any other ideas or documents, please share! I will do my part from here but I would love any more help or ideas.

Thank you,
Walkin
User avatar
Tessa78
Master
Master
Posts: 18381
Joined: 07 Sep 2009, 18:09

Re: Looking for my grandmother's immigration ship manifest

Post by Tessa78 »

Until you are able to access Ancestry directly, here are the images...

Note: For Rosaria Lobasso this was an OUTGOING ship manifest on the Andrea Doria.
Also... the first name was incorrectly transcribed into Ancestry as Rosario, while the ship manifest is clearly Rosaria.

Rosario(a) Lobasso
in the U.S., Departing Passenger and Crew Lists, 1914-1966
Name Rosario(a) Lobasso
Birth Place Italy
Departure Date 9 Sep 1954
Departure Place New York, New York, USA
Ship ANDREA DORIA

Manifest image - Line 6
Click on the image to enlarge
Image

Naturalization Index Card (date matches the one on the ship manifest)...
NOTE: The A file # is listed on the card. The A file was referenced by diego1 :D above.

Rosaria Lobasso
in the New York, U.S., Index to Petitions for Naturalization filed in New York City, 1792-1989
Name Rosaria Lobasso
Birth Date 12 May 1929
Age 25
Naturalization Date 18 Aug 1954
Residence New York, New York
Title and Location of Court New York Southern District

Click on the image to enlarge.
Image

T.
Post Reply