Can anyone tell whether this website has any information on old vital records (pre-1820) for individual churches in the archdiocese?
https://arcidiocesi.siracusa.it/
Archdiocese of Siracusa
-
darkerhorse
- Master

- Posts: 4006
- Joined: 11 Jun 2020, 18:31
Re: Archdiocese of Siracusa
Or, if I send an email to them, how should it read?
Re: Archdiocese of Siracusa
There are no data online, but it says they have a historical archive
https://arcidiocesi.siracusa.it/archivi ... diocesano/
Here are the rules for accessing the archive
https://arcidiocesi.siracusa.it/wp-cont ... 2024-1.pdf
It doesn't say if they do research on demand, but I think they don't.
I wrote last year, but they never replied.
If you still need info about Melilli, I can write again.
https://arcidiocesi.siracusa.it/archivi ... diocesano/
Here are the rules for accessing the archive
https://arcidiocesi.siracusa.it/wp-cont ... 2024-1.pdf
It doesn't say if they do research on demand, but I think they don't.
I wrote last year, but they never replied.
If you still need info about Melilli, I can write again.
Giuseppe "Pippo" Moccaldi
Certificate requests and genealogical researches in Italy.
Translation of your (old) documents and letters.
Legal assistance in Italy for your Italian citizenship.
Certificate requests and genealogical researches in Italy.
Translation of your (old) documents and letters.
Legal assistance in Italy for your Italian citizenship.
-
darkerhorse
- Master

- Posts: 4006
- Joined: 11 Jun 2020, 18:31
Re: Archdiocese of Siracusa
Yes, I would appreciate if you would write again.PippoM wrote: 12 Dec 2025, 08:44 There are no data online, but it says they have a historical archive
https://arcidiocesi.siracusa.it/archivi ... diocesano/
Here are the rules for accessing the archive
https://arcidiocesi.siracusa.it/wp-cont ... 2024-1.pdf
It doesn't say if they do research on demand, but I think they don't.
I wrote last year, but they never replied.
If you still need info about Melilli, I can write again.
Re: Archdiocese of Siracusa
Yesterday I wrote again. Let's see if they reply.
Giuseppe "Pippo" Moccaldi
Certificate requests and genealogical researches in Italy.
Translation of your (old) documents and letters.
Legal assistance in Italy for your Italian citizenship.
Certificate requests and genealogical researches in Italy.
Translation of your (old) documents and letters.
Legal assistance in Italy for your Italian citizenship.
Re: Archdiocese of Siracusa
They've replied, and said the registers are not there.
"Salve, siamo spiacenti ma in questo archivio non si trova nulla del genere. Queste cose si trovano direttamente nelle parrocchie del comune interessato dalla ricerca"
You have to turn to the Parish.
"Salve, siamo spiacenti ma in questo archivio non si trova nulla del genere. Queste cose si trovano direttamente nelle parrocchie del comune interessato dalla ricerca"
You have to turn to the Parish.
Giuseppe "Pippo" Moccaldi
Certificate requests and genealogical researches in Italy.
Translation of your (old) documents and letters.
Legal assistance in Italy for your Italian citizenship.
Certificate requests and genealogical researches in Italy.
Translation of your (old) documents and letters.
Legal assistance in Italy for your Italian citizenship.
-
darkerhorse
- Master

- Posts: 4006
- Joined: 11 Jun 2020, 18:31
Re: Archdiocese of Siracusa
Thanks for your efforts. At least know I know.PippoM wrote: 17 Dec 2025, 08:36 They've replied, and said the registers are not there.
"Salve, siamo spiacenti ma in questo archivio non si trova nulla del genere. Queste cose si trovano direttamente nelle parrocchie del comune interessato dalla ricerca"
You have to turn to the Parish.
When you say "parish" do you mean the individual church or a regional entity? In the U.S. a "parish" can consistent of multiple churches in a city or region.
Re: Archdiocese of Siracusa
A Parish is literally not a church but an area with a main church called "chiesa parrocchiale".
It may or may not have other churches within.
But sacraments are reported, and registers stored, in the main church, that gives the Parish its name.
In villages or small towns the Parish usually corresponds to the village or town itself.
Cities like Roma or Napoli have tenths of Parishes, that may vary their boundaries in time.
That said, here
https://www.chiesacattolica.it/annuario ... arrocchie/
you can look for Parishes in Italy.
It seems there are 5 parishes in Melilli, one of them is San Nicolò or Nicola
It may or may not have other churches within.
But sacraments are reported, and registers stored, in the main church, that gives the Parish its name.
In villages or small towns the Parish usually corresponds to the village or town itself.
Cities like Roma or Napoli have tenths of Parishes, that may vary their boundaries in time.
That said, here
https://www.chiesacattolica.it/annuario ... arrocchie/
you can look for Parishes in Italy.
It seems there are 5 parishes in Melilli, one of them is San Nicolò or Nicola
Giuseppe "Pippo" Moccaldi
Certificate requests and genealogical researches in Italy.
Translation of your (old) documents and letters.
Legal assistance in Italy for your Italian citizenship.
Certificate requests and genealogical researches in Italy.
Translation of your (old) documents and letters.
Legal assistance in Italy for your Italian citizenship.
-
darkerhorse
- Master

- Posts: 4006
- Joined: 11 Jun 2020, 18:31
Re: Archdiocese of Siracusa
I'm interested in San Nicolo and San Sebastiano.