Ships arriving in New Orleans 1840s
Ships arriving in New Orleans 1840s
Where can I find passenger lists of ships arriving in New Orleans in the mid 1840s. I have the naturalization certificate of my second great grandfather. He became a citizen in 1849. It says he was from Sicily. His name is given as Laurent Winch, not exactly Italian. I have Civil war records with his name . He was in southwest Louisiana after the Civil war where he fathered two children. The courthouse records from that time were lost in a fire. He dies/disappears around 1869. His wife remarried. I would like to track down his birthplace in Sicily and when he arrived in the US.Thanks for any suggestions.
Re: Ships arriving in New Orleans 1840s
You can try this:
https://www.familysearch.org/it/search/ ... on/1916009
Maybe the surname was Vinci? (Just a guess based on how an Italian would "translate" it)
https://www.familysearch.org/it/search/ ... on/1916009
Maybe the surname was Vinci? (Just a guess based on how an Italian would "translate" it)
Giuseppe "Pippo" Moccaldi
Certificate requests and genealogical researches in Italy.
Translation of your (old) documents and letters.
Legal assistance in Italy for your Italian citizenship.
Certificate requests and genealogical researches in Italy.
Translation of your (old) documents and letters.
Legal assistance in Italy for your Italian citizenship.
Re: Ships arriving in New Orleans 1840s
https://www.wikitree.com/wiki/Winch-427
I’m posting this link for reference. His naturalization paper shown at this link indicates that he entered the U.S. in 1846 and was under the age of 18 at the time. I’ve tried searching on the website stevemorse.org, as there are various options there for searching passenger lists to New Orleans not found on family search. Unfortunately, I don’t have a subscription to ancestry.com which you would need to view any potential option. But possibly playing with the search options there might help you. I’ve also tried using some of the variations in spelling on the stevemorse website to search on the family search link provided by Pippo. Even though I can see the passenger lists, I’m not finding anyone who could be the correct person, but page 2 of 27 does yield names for passenger lists with immigrations around 1847.
Erudita
I’m posting this link for reference. His naturalization paper shown at this link indicates that he entered the U.S. in 1846 and was under the age of 18 at the time. I’ve tried searching on the website stevemorse.org, as there are various options there for searching passenger lists to New Orleans not found on family search. Unfortunately, I don’t have a subscription to ancestry.com which you would need to view any potential option. But possibly playing with the search options there might help you. I’ve also tried using some of the variations in spelling on the stevemorse website to search on the family search link provided by Pippo. Even though I can see the passenger lists, I’m not finding anyone who could be the correct person, but page 2 of 27 does yield names for passenger lists with immigrations around 1847.
Erudita
Re: Ships arriving in New Orleans 1840s
Thank you for the link. I don’t have an ancestry subscription, but I will go the library to see the reference what other details there might be

