Retiring in Italy from US

General Non-Genealogy Discussions.
Ask questions, chat and talk about anything.
Post Reply
User avatar
cannoli
Rookie
Rookie
Posts: 45
Joined: 08 Jul 2010, 21:31

Retiring in Italy from US

Post by cannoli »

I'm grateful for all the support I had at this site with receiving recognition of my Italian citizenship. Now I'm looking ahead to retiring in citizenship. I'm wondering if anyone can provide resources/tips regarding: housing (rent vs buy), married vs domestic partner (coppie di fatto) eterossessuale, tax considerations, international banking, others that I haven't yet considered. Thanks so much!
User avatar
rp76226
Master
Master
Posts: 2130
Joined: 27 Apr 2010, 17:00

Re: Retiring in Italy from US

Post by rp76226 »

Italy income taxes are high and so is their "hidden" national sales tax (called a Value Added Tax or VAT which most European nations have but is hidden from appearing on your sales receipts). I tried to include a link explaining all of that, but this website won't allow it. Just go to the internet and search for "Italy income tax rates".
williamcorlin
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 4
Joined: 25 Jun 2026, 13:24

Re: Retiring in Italy from US

Post by williamcorlin »

Congratulations on getting your Italian citizenship recognized! I'm still in the planning stage myself, but a few things I'd be looking into before making the move are taxes, healthcare enrollment, and where I actually want to live year-round. From what I've researched, renting for the first year seems like a good idea before committing to buying, especially since different regions can feel very different in terms of cost of living and bureaucracy. If you're not married, I'd also spend some time understanding how a coppia di fatto is recognized locally and whether it affects inheritance, healthcare decisions, or tax matters compared to marriage.
az games
For banking, I'd probably keep accounts in both countries at first and look for a bank that handles international transfers efficiently. I'd also recommend speaking with a professional familiar with both U.S. and Italian tax systems, since U.S. citizens still have filing obligations even while living abroad. I'm curious to hear from people who have already made the move—what was the biggest surprise after settling in Italy full-time?
Post Reply