
Nunoots.
-
AngelaGrace56
- Master

- Posts: 8078
- Joined: 16 Oct 2012, 10:54
Re: Nunoots.
Hi
Yes it does mean grandfather. I have seen grandfather written as “Nunoots” in an obituary and I can’t find it now. I think that maybe it should really read “Nonnuzz(o)” which is sort of like a term of endearment or it can mean “little grandfather”. Because the vowel has not been included at the end of the name “nunoots” my thinking is that it is more likely to be Southern Italia.
So you’ve tried searching San Pietro in Guarano, Consenza, Calabria which is written there as a birth place for Caterina?
Angela
Yes it does mean grandfather. I have seen grandfather written as “Nunoots” in an obituary and I can’t find it now. I think that maybe it should really read “Nonnuzz(o)” which is sort of like a term of endearment or it can mean “little grandfather”. Because the vowel has not been included at the end of the name “nunoots” my thinking is that it is more likely to be Southern Italia.
So you’ve tried searching San Pietro in Guarano, Consenza, Calabria which is written there as a birth place for Caterina?
Angela
Re: Nunoots.
Thank you Angela. Yes I have researched Caterina Panza in San Pietro, and looked to see if maybe Francesco was from there as well.AngelaGrace56 wrote: 17 May 2026, 07:04 Hi
Yes it does mean grandfather. I have seen grandfather written as “Nunoots” in an obituary and I can’t find it now. I think that maybe it should really read “Nonnuzz(o)” which is sort of like a term of endearment or it can mean “little grandfather”. Because the vowel has not been included at the end of the name “nunoots” my thinking is that it is more likely to be Southern Italia.
So you’ve tried searching San Pietro in Guarano, Consenza, Calabria which is written there as a birth place for Caterina?
Angela
-
AngelaGrace56
- Master

- Posts: 8078
- Joined: 16 Oct 2012, 10:54
Re: Nunoots.
You are very welcome.
I’m wondering whether Francesco may have been from the town of Lauro in Caserto. While the name Carmine/di Carmine doesn’t seem to appear there the surname Camino does. It’s just a suggestion. I notice that Pippo also mentioned this town in a related thread, so you may have already searched there.
Angela
I’m wondering whether Francesco may have been from the town of Lauro in Caserto. While the name Carmine/di Carmine doesn’t seem to appear there the surname Camino does. It’s just a suggestion. I notice that Pippo also mentioned this town in a related thread, so you may have already searched there.
Angela
Re: Nunoots.
Lauro is definitely a good idea, it sounds a lot like Laori. I checked all the Nati records for the 1860s, since I believe Francesco to be born ~1865, but nothing matched. I am in contact with a descendant and trying to get in contact with a couple of the few remaining grandchildren. Hopefully the grandchildren will have info.AngelaGrace56 wrote: 18 May 2026, 07:33 You are very welcome.
I’m wondering whether Francesco may have been from the town of Lauro in Caserto. While the name Carmine/di Carmine doesn’t seem to appear there the surname Camino does. It’s just a suggestion. I notice that Pippo also mentioned this town in a related thread, so you may have already searched there.
Angela
-
AngelaGrace56
- Master

- Posts: 8078
- Joined: 16 Oct 2012, 10:54
Re: Nunoots.
Yes, Lauro, sounding like Lauri was my thinking too, when I saw the name of the town amongst the Antenati records for the Province.
Like you I also went through the 1860's records and that is where I saw the surname Camino so wondered whether that might be another option for searching.
Best to you with making contact with the grandchildren. Hopefully they might have leads for you.
Angela
Like you I also went through the 1860's records and that is where I saw the surname Camino so wondered whether that might be another option for searching.
Best to you with making contact with the grandchildren. Hopefully they might have leads for you.
Angela
