Through some deducing, I’ve realized that my grandparents were not married in NYC, as the family had thought, rather, they had to have been married in Italy.
I’m looking for their marriage act.
All I have to go on is the birth act for their first child who died in infancy.
Here is the birth act.
Giovanni Carpentieri (the transcription states Carpentiero)
Born December 26, 1911
San Nazzaro Calvi, Benevento, Campania
Father: Pasquale Carpentieri (o)
Mother: Maddalena Casazza
This all fits as although Pasquale came to NYC in 1902, he sort of disappeared from NYC records from 1904 for a few years.
I did find him and Maddalena Carpentieri and Maddalena’s brother, Vincenzo Casazza coming to NYC in 1912.
Pasquale returned to Italy to marry. They had a child who tragically died and then came together to the new world in 1912 where they remained until they died.
Maddalena’s parents were Antonio Casazza and Carmela Barletta.
This forum has done so much for me over the years. You’re all terrific.
Thank you.
Maddalena (yes, I was named after my grandmother)
Carpentieri and Casazza
-
MaddalenaNYC
- Veteran

- Posts: 202
- Joined: 27 Feb 2012, 02:02
- Location: Brooklyn, NYC
Re: Carpentieri and Casazza
Hello,
On Giovanni’s birth act it is stated that Pasquale and Maddalena were not civilly married at the time.
For reference, here’s the link to the birth act:
https://antenati.cultura.gov.it/ark:/12 ... 49/Ly8zql9
EDIT:
From Maddalena Casazza birth act we can see (from the marginal note) that they got married in 1912, March 28, shortly before travelling to the States.
Unfortunately marriage records for that year are not available online.
https://antenati.cultura.gov.it/ark:/12 ... 33/04rvxxZ
Here’s also Pasquale’s birth. (Just in case you haven’t got it)
https://antenati.cultura.gov.it/ark:/12 ... 53/5vEeEnq
On Giovanni’s birth act it is stated that Pasquale and Maddalena were not civilly married at the time.
For reference, here’s the link to the birth act:
https://antenati.cultura.gov.it/ark:/12 ... 49/Ly8zql9
EDIT:
From Maddalena Casazza birth act we can see (from the marginal note) that they got married in 1912, March 28, shortly before travelling to the States.
Unfortunately marriage records for that year are not available online.
https://antenati.cultura.gov.it/ark:/12 ... 33/04rvxxZ
Here’s also Pasquale’s birth. (Just in case you haven’t got it)
https://antenati.cultura.gov.it/ark:/12 ... 53/5vEeEnq
-
MaddalenaNYC
- Veteran

- Posts: 202
- Joined: 27 Feb 2012, 02:02
- Location: Brooklyn, NYC
Re: Carpentieri and Casazza
You are amazing. Thank you so much.
-
MaddalenaNYC
- Veteran

- Posts: 202
- Joined: 27 Feb 2012, 02:02
- Location: Brooklyn, NYC
Re: Carpentieri and Casazza
I never knew my Carpentieri grandparents, Pasquale and Maddalena,
as they had both died before I was born.
I have a few photographs and the stories that my mother had told to me.
It’s interesting that I do look a lot like Maddalena.
My mother’s first cousin, Jennie Carpentieri, used to put her hands on my face, and say to me, ‘You look just like Mama,” meaning my grandmother, Maddalena.
The research you have done for me means so much.
My grandmother, Maddalena, should know that her name lives on in me, and in great grandchildren.
So many thanks again,
as they had both died before I was born.
I have a few photographs and the stories that my mother had told to me.
It’s interesting that I do look a lot like Maddalena.
My mother’s first cousin, Jennie Carpentieri, used to put her hands on my face, and say to me, ‘You look just like Mama,” meaning my grandmother, Maddalena.
The research you have done for me means so much.
My grandmother, Maddalena, should know that her name lives on in me, and in great grandchildren.
So many thanks again,
Re: Carpentieri and Casazza
Happy to help.
Kind regards
Kind regards
-
MaddalenaNYC
- Veteran

- Posts: 202
- Joined: 27 Feb 2012, 02:02
- Location: Brooklyn, NYC
Re: Carpentieri and Casazza
I’m probably asking for too much now, but is there a death act for Giovanni Carpentieri born in December of 1911?
I’m assuming that my grandparents’ first child died in infancy and that might have been the trigger for Maddalena to return to New York with Pasquale.
It’s terribly sad that my family did not know that Pasquale and Maddalena had not had seven children, but ten.
I have the NYC death records of their second born, Maria, who died as having been born prematurely in 1912 in the Bronx. Then a boy, Arturo, who also had died at a few weeks old in the Bronx in 1920.
The Italian naming patterns are key.
Some people might think it odd that subsequent children born are named after those children who had died.
It must relate to the naming pattern.
Thank you so much again for all you have done for my family.
I’m assuming that my grandparents’ first child died in infancy and that might have been the trigger for Maddalena to return to New York with Pasquale.
It’s terribly sad that my family did not know that Pasquale and Maddalena had not had seven children, but ten.
I have the NYC death records of their second born, Maria, who died as having been born prematurely in 1912 in the Bronx. Then a boy, Arturo, who also had died at a few weeks old in the Bronx in 1920.
The Italian naming patterns are key.
Some people might think it odd that subsequent children born are named after those children who had died.
It must relate to the naming pattern.
Thank you so much again for all you have done for my family.
Re: Carpentieri and Casazza
MaddalenaNYC wrote: 22 Jul 2026, 22:29 I’m probably asking for too much now, but is there a death act for Giovanni Carpentieri born in December of 1911.
No,
unfortunately marriages and death records online stop in 1860 and resume in 1931.
Only birth records go through until 1915.
-
MaddalenaNYC
- Veteran

- Posts: 202
- Joined: 27 Feb 2012, 02:02
- Location: Brooklyn, NYC
Re: Carpentieri and Casazza
Thank you for your reply. As I can find no further record of the first Giovanni (my Uncle John was the second Giovanni born in the Bronx circa 1917), I can only rightly presume that the first Giovanni had died soon after his birth.
It saddens me that my grandparents had endured the death of three young children.
But it gladdens me that they continued to care for their living seven children.
We truly have much to learn from our ancestors’ lives.
Stay strong might have been their motto.
It saddens me that my grandparents had endured the death of three young children.
But it gladdens me that they continued to care for their living seven children.
We truly have much to learn from our ancestors’ lives.
Stay strong might have been their motto.
