In the margin, what happened in 1916?

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
Post Reply
User avatar
warriorrabbit
Elite
Elite
Posts: 284
Joined: 28 Nov 2007, 18:05
Location: San Diego

In the margin, what happened in 1916?

Post by warriorrabbit »

AngelaGrace56
Master
Master
Posts: 8078
Joined: 16 Oct 2012, 10:54

Re: In the margin, what happened in 1916?

Post by AngelaGrace56 »

This is what I’m reading: By a judgment dated 25 August 1916, this Civil Court ordered the rectification of the birth record of Francesco Macdonald—in which the surname was written as "La Rocca Fama" instead of the correct "Fama"—...

So basically it is rectifying an error made in Francesco Macdonald’s Birth Record re his mother’s surname. Her surname has been written as “La Rocca Fama’” but the correct surname should read “Fama’”.

(He possibly married in 1916? ...WW1?)

The second annotation made on 5 March 1979 is saying that he died in Messina on 23 September 1978, Act No 829.

Angela
User avatar
warriorrabbit
Elite
Elite
Posts: 284
Joined: 28 Nov 2007, 18:05
Location: San Diego

Re: In the margin, what happened in 1916?

Post by warriorrabbit »

He married in 1909 in Catania, but I guess he could have remarried in 1916, I’ll have to check.
Thanks!
AngelaGrace56
Master
Master
Posts: 8078
Joined: 16 Oct 2012, 10:54

Re: In the margin, what happened in 1916?

Post by AngelaGrace56 »

That's interesting. How was mother's surname written on the 1909 Catania Marriage Record?

Angela
User avatar
warriorrabbit
Elite
Elite
Posts: 284
Joined: 28 Nov 2007, 18:05
Location: San Diego

Re: In the margin, what happened in 1916?

Post by warriorrabbit »

La Rocca
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903 ... Id=2043496

On birth act, La Rocca Tama. I have also seen Tama La Rocca, and just plain Tama.
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903 ... -GTW2-9QWC
AngelaGrace56
Master
Master
Posts: 8078
Joined: 16 Oct 2012, 10:54

Re: In the margin, what happened in 1916?

Post by AngelaGrace56 »

Thanks for posting those records.

It's interesting because in the annotation on the birth record, I am reading the surname as Fama not Tama. In the actual Birth Record, however, it can be read as either or. The letter "F" in Francesco doesn't look that much different to Fama/Tama in the body of the birth record. Both surnames Fama and Tama appear in the town.

It would be good if someone else takes a look at what is written in the margin in case I have misinterpreted. To me it all seems non-conclusive at the moment. I would appreciate one of the other translators taking a look.

Angela
User avatar
warriorrabbit
Elite
Elite
Posts: 284
Joined: 28 Nov 2007, 18:05
Location: San Diego

Re: In the margin, what happened in 1916?

Post by warriorrabbit »

I am sure it is Tama, she’s actually the one I am chasing down but I have to take the long way through her husband’s family because I was unable to find her (or the person I’m really looking for, who I think is her brother). Although tbf I’ve never looked for him under La Rocca. I’ve also seen two Tamas, years apart, have to correct their records later as they were recorded initially as Dama. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
User avatar
warriorrabbit
Elite
Elite
Posts: 284
Joined: 28 Nov 2007, 18:05
Location: San Diego

Re: In the margin, what happened in 1916?

Post by warriorrabbit »

And here’s a Fama corrected to Tama. Possibly one of mine? Who knows.

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903 ... -G5NS-9GBG
AngelaGrace56
Master
Master
Posts: 8078
Joined: 16 Oct 2012, 10:54

Re: In the margin, what happened in 1916?

Post by AngelaGrace56 »

Both Record No 688 and 689 have got the Fama to Tama going on there. Record No 688 has the same parents as the first Birth Record you first posted. These last two records are clearly changing the surname Fama to Tama.


Angela
User avatar
warriorrabbit
Elite
Elite
Posts: 284
Joined: 28 Nov 2007, 18:05
Location: San Diego

Re: In the margin, what happened in 1916?

Post by warriorrabbit »

Yeah I meant the other one, the actual Fama/Tama surname, not the Macdonald mother. Possibly related, but… I don’t know how yet.
Perhaps no Famas are Fama!
AngelaGrace56
Master
Master
Posts: 8078
Joined: 16 Oct 2012, 10:54

Re: In the margin, what happened in 1916?

Post by AngelaGrace56 »

"The Macdonald mother"?

Angela
Post Reply