Visiting my Grandparents towns and need help

Do you need information about a certain town or village in Italy, or do you need help to find it on a map?
This forum will give you a helping hand.
Post Reply
nyrnd1
Rookie
Rookie
Posts: 50
Joined: 04 Feb 2020, 15:57

Visiting my Grandparents towns and need help

Post by nyrnd1 »

I have located where my Grandparents were born and married. I am planning to visit in the fall of this year. My Grandfather was from Cervino and my Grandmother from Montedecoro (Maddaloni hamlet). They married and lived in Maddaloni before immigrating to the USA. I have their birth notice and civil marriage record. I have contacted all three municipalities and Churches in all locations and also in Caserta. I received a response from Maddaloni with the marriage certificate but nothing else so far. Its been a month. I did send all in Italian. I am sure there is still family there and also want to make the most of my visit. Are there any suggestions of things i can do to make contact with family or get more records, etc.

DP
MaddalenaNYC
Veteran
Veteran
Posts: 202
Joined: 27 Feb 2012, 02:02
Location: Brooklyn, NYC

Re: Visiting my Grandparents towns and need help

Post by MaddalenaNYC »

My daughter is traveling to Reggio Emilia in the Fall. She’s a teacher, Montessori trained, here in NYC.

Her private Montessori school is paying for her trip. It’s sort of a work study thing.

She will be just a fifteen minute train ride from her great great grandmother’s home in Parma. She will visit Parma,

I’m kind of knocking my brain looking for any family members still in that area.

I’ve lately resorted to checking local Italian phone books. That’s the only suggestion I have.

Good luck and whether you do or do not find distant relatives in our homeland, the very fact that you are traveling there means everything.
MaddalenaNYC
Veteran
Veteran
Posts: 202
Joined: 27 Feb 2012, 02:02
Location: Brooklyn, NYC

Re: Visiting my Grandparents towns and need help

Post by MaddalenaNYC »

Make that her great grandmother. Jeez, it sometimes gets confusing.
nyrnd1
Rookie
Rookie
Posts: 50
Joined: 04 Feb 2020, 15:57

Re: Visiting my Grandparents towns and need help

Post by nyrnd1 »

I've been to Parma and loved it there. Wishing your Daughter the best on her trip.
erudita74
Master
Master
Posts: 9245
Joined: 27 Aug 2012, 20:26

Re: Visiting my Grandparents towns and need help

Post by erudita74 »

Try contacting the Pro Loco organization in the town, as members are local residents and often know other local residents.

https://www.prolocovalle.com/

There’s an email address at the above link.
User avatar
PippoM
Master
Master
Posts: 5840
Joined: 25 Aug 2004, 00:00
Location: Roma, Italia
Contact:

Re: Visiting my Grandparents towns and need help

Post by PippoM »

If you are on Facebook, register in the groups
Sei di Maddaloni se and
Sei di Cervino se

then explain, in Italian (possibly using a translator) who your GP's were, when they were born, when they lived there, and all possibly useful info, and ask if someone knows some relatives
Giuseppe "Pippo" Moccaldi

Certificate requests and genealogical researches in Italy.
Translation of your (old) documents and letters.
Legal assistance in Italy for your Italian citizenship.
nyrnd1
Rookie
Rookie
Posts: 50
Joined: 04 Feb 2020, 15:57

Re: Visiting my Grandparents towns and need help

Post by nyrnd1 »

Thank you my friends. I have contacted Pro Loco as suggested and have my fingers crossed.
I have registered and approved on the two groups you have suggested: Sei di Maddaloni se and
Sei di Cervino se.
I'll let you know if anything comes of these things.
Post Reply