Finding a Name Change Record

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
Post Reply
nyrnd1
Rookie
Rookie
Posts: 50
Joined: 04 Feb 2020, 15:57

Finding a Name Change Record

Post by nyrnd1 »

My Grandfather was born in Cervino as Francesco DeLucia. In 1910 his name was changed legally to Francesco DiLucia Sposito. I have researched and believe the Sposito goes back to his Grandfather and I also have an understanding of the Foundlings. I've attached the birth notice and i think the notation deals with changing his name. Does anyone know where i can find the petition document or any document dealing with the details of the name change? He was born in Cervino as i mentioned and was married in 1914 in Maddaloni to my Grandma. The civil marriage record does use the Sposito surname. So, would I look in Cervino, Maddaloni, both?
Thanks as always.

Dennis
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
AngelaGrace56
Master
Master
Posts: 8078
Joined: 16 Oct 2012, 10:54

Re: Finding a Name Change Record

Post by AngelaGrace56 »

Because Francesco’s birth was registered in Cervino, and that is where the notice of the rectification was sent, then my thinking is that is where the copy of the notification should be filed. (I don’t think that it is online though?) Therefore, I am wondering whether it might be better to write to the State Archive of Caserta (Archivio di Stato di Caserta” who would hold a duplicate copy of the deed from the Civil Tribunale of Santa Maria Capua Vetere where the rectification was actioned. This isn't really my area of expertise so hopefully someone else might chime in if they know better.

Best to you with this.

Angela
nyrnd1
Rookie
Rookie
Posts: 50
Joined: 04 Feb 2020, 15:57

Re: Finding a Name Change Record

Post by nyrnd1 »

Thank you. I will send to them today. I'm visiting Cervino for the first time soon and perhaps i could also visit an office in person. I know its a rather small town. I appreciate your help and will post the results of your suggestion.

Dennis
AngelaGrace56
Master
Master
Posts: 8078
Joined: 16 Oct 2012, 10:54

Re: Finding a Name Change Record

Post by AngelaGrace56 »

I hope you receive an informative reply from your letter, Dennis.

All the best to you for your visit to Cervino. Very exciting!!!

Angela
nyrnd1
Rookie
Rookie
Posts: 50
Joined: 04 Feb 2020, 15:57

Re: Finding a Name Change Record

Post by nyrnd1 »

Thank you Angela. Caserta responded in 24 hours. The gave me a couple of documents to fill out and return. There is also a small payment. I appreciate your help.

Dennis
AngelaGrace56
Master
Master
Posts: 8078
Joined: 16 Oct 2012, 10:54

Re: Finding a Name Change Record

Post by AngelaGrace56 »

nyrnd1 wrote: 14 Aug 2026, 22:54 Thank you Angela. Caserta responded in 24 hours. The gave me a couple of documents to fill out and return. There is also a small payment. I appreciate your help.

Dennis
Hello

Good to hear that Caserta responded so quickly.

Angela
Post Reply