Website Design / HTML
Re: Website Design / HTML
View the Index.htm file in the Site Folder ... don't select any of the links because those files have not been modified yet ...
[hr]
Here's what it should look like ...
http://bob.fornal.org/Genealogy/code/Site/Index.htm
[hr]
Here's what it should look like ...
http://bob.fornal.org/Genealogy/code/Site/Index.htm
Bob Fornal
http://www.podcastgenealogy.com
http://www.podcastgenealogy.com
Re: Website Design / HTML
Not sure why....but I have the same notebook binder going down the
right side of my page as well as the left!!!!!!!
Lisa
right side of my page as well as the left!!!!!!!
Lisa
Re: Website Design / HTML
That brings up a good point ...
The image used as a background is tiled in place, and if the image is too narrow, you get to see it repeat on the right side if the screen.
The duplication that you are seeing is a combination of a narrow background image and your screen resolution ... what we try to do is make the image so wide that it doesn't matter when someone views it.
Save this version of the file ... it is much wider:
http://bob.fornal.org/Genealogy/code/Si ... _image.gif
... if you use <right-click> Save Taget As... you can actually save the file without having to view it ...
The image used as a background is tiled in place, and if the image is too narrow, you get to see it repeat on the right side if the screen.
The duplication that you are seeing is a combination of a narrow background image and your screen resolution ... what we try to do is make the image so wide that it doesn't matter when someone views it.
Save this version of the file ... it is much wider:
http://bob.fornal.org/Genealogy/code/Si ... _image.gif
... if you use <right-click> Save Taget As... you can actually save the file without having to view it ...
Bob Fornal
http://www.podcastgenealogy.com
http://www.podcastgenealogy.com
Re: Website Design / HTML
That was easy.........my page looks like it should!!!
Lisa
Lisa
Re: Website Design / HTML
COOL! Let's make a modification to the file in the Citizenship Folder: Index.htm ...
<html>
<head>
<title>Genealogy Site: Citizenship</title>
<link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="../site.css">
</head>
<body>
<h1>Citizenship</h1>
<a href="..\Index.htm">BACK</a>
<p>Here is a listing of where Our Ancestors came from along with any other information.</p>
<table width="100%" border=1>
<tr>
<td width="20%"><b>Name</b></td>
<td width="20%"><b>Emigrated From</b></td>
<td width="20%"><b>Immigrated To</b></td>
<td width="20%"><b>Ship</b></td>
<td width="20%"><b>Date Arrived</b></td>
</tr>
<tr>
<td>SAMPLE, Name</td>
<td>Italy</td>
<td>America</td>
<td>Big'Boat</td>
<td>01 Jan 2006</td>
</tr>
</table>
</body>
</html>
[hr]
Notice this line ...
<link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="../site.css">
... in particular, look at the difference from the Site Index.htm: href="site.css" that states href="../site.css". The ../ within the quotes tells the file to look in the Folder one level up, which is the Site Folder ...
[hr]
Once you've viewed these files, remove the border=1 in the Table Tag and view it again!

<html>
<head>
<title>Genealogy Site: Citizenship</title>
<link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="../site.css">
</head>
<body>
<h1>Citizenship</h1>
<a href="..\Index.htm">BACK</a>
<p>Here is a listing of where Our Ancestors came from along with any other information.</p>
<table width="100%" border=1>
<tr>
<td width="20%"><b>Name</b></td>
<td width="20%"><b>Emigrated From</b></td>
<td width="20%"><b>Immigrated To</b></td>
<td width="20%"><b>Ship</b></td>
<td width="20%"><b>Date Arrived</b></td>
</tr>
<tr>
<td>SAMPLE, Name</td>
<td>Italy</td>
<td>America</td>
<td>Big'Boat</td>
<td>01 Jan 2006</td>
</tr>
</table>
</body>
</html>
[hr]
Notice this line ...
<link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="../site.css">
... in particular, look at the difference from the Site Index.htm: href="site.css" that states href="../site.css". The ../ within the quotes tells the file to look in the Folder one level up, which is the Site Folder ...
[hr]
Once you've viewed these files, remove the border=1 in the Table Tag and view it again!
Bob Fornal
http://www.podcastgenealogy.com
http://www.podcastgenealogy.com
Re: Website Design / HTML
I like the border=1 better than no border......so there must be a point to removing it?? Everything is still smooth sailing......so far......
Lisa
Just had a thought......James.....are you still following this??
How did you deal with tables given the vast info on your site??
Lisa
Just had a thought......James.....are you still following this??
How did you deal with tables given the vast info on your site??
Re: Website Design / HTML
Sorry, had a major power outage in the area from 2p yesterday to 11a today ... just got back.
More soon (got 40+ emails to cover) ...
More soon (got 40+ emails to cover) ...
Bob Fornal
http://www.podcastgenealogy.com
http://www.podcastgenealogy.com
Re: Website Design / HTML
Modification to Citizenship Folder Index.htm
I've bolded the lines that are already present ... add what is in between ...
<td>01 Jan 2006</td>
</tr>
</table>
<p>This type of table allows for comments to be added easier, but limits the number of records
per page (ease of viewing groups of records).</p>
<table width="100%" border=1>
<tr>
<td width="20%"><b>Name</b></td>
<td width="80%">SAMPLE, Name</td>
</tr>
<tr>
<td><b>Emigrated From</b></td>
<td>Italy</td>
</tr>
<tr>
<td><b>Immigrated To</b></td>
<td>America</td>
</tr>
<tr>
<td><b>Ship</b></td>
<td>Big'Boat</td>
</tr>
<tr>
<td><b>Date Arrived</b></td>
<td>01 Jan 2006</td>
</tr>
<tr>
<td valign=top><b>Comments</b></td>
<td>Wow ... cool record here!<br>
Allows for more information to be added as needed ...</td>
</table>
</body>
[hr]
More soon ... let me know how it goes ...
I've bolded the lines that are already present ... add what is in between ...
<td>01 Jan 2006</td>
</tr>
</table>
<p>This type of table allows for comments to be added easier, but limits the number of records
per page (ease of viewing groups of records).</p>
<table width="100%" border=1>
<tr>
<td width="20%"><b>Name</b></td>
<td width="80%">SAMPLE, Name</td>
</tr>
<tr>
<td><b>Emigrated From</b></td>
<td>Italy</td>
</tr>
<tr>
<td><b>Immigrated To</b></td>
<td>America</td>
</tr>
<tr>
<td><b>Ship</b></td>
<td>Big'Boat</td>
</tr>
<tr>
<td><b>Date Arrived</b></td>
<td>01 Jan 2006</td>
</tr>
<tr>
<td valign=top><b>Comments</b></td>
<td>Wow ... cool record here!<br>
Allows for more information to be added as needed ...</td>
</table>
</body>
[hr]
More soon ... let me know how it goes ...
Bob Fornal
http://www.podcastgenealogy.com
http://www.podcastgenealogy.com
Re: Website Design / HTML
Got some thing cool in the works for the next post or two !!! 
Bob Fornal
http://www.podcastgenealogy.com
http://www.podcastgenealogy.com
Re: Website Design / HTML
Up to date now. Had to take care of sick hubby......
and really praying that I don't get what he got!!!
Ready to proceed when you are........
Lisa
and really praying that I don't get what he got!!!
Ready to proceed when you are........
Lisa
Re: Website Design / HTML
Our prayers are with you ...
I should be on to post the next two segments in about 5 hours or so.
I should be on to post the next two segments in about 5 hours or so.
Bob Fornal
http://www.podcastgenealogy.com
http://www.podcastgenealogy.com
Re: Website Design / HTML
Don't feel bad...I have to start from scratch again...got lost along the way. Then Jen had an accident and sliced her foot open last night!
Is it me or is this board gone whacko??? I don't see the shocked smilie but I see the word...and I can't view any other emotions!
I killing all the forums today!
nuccia
Ok..its back...I just had to refresh.
Is it me or is this board gone whacko??? I don't see the shocked smilie but I see the word...and I can't view any other emotions!
I killing all the forums today!
nuccia
Ok..its back...I just had to refresh.
Re: Website Design / HTML
Hope the foot is ok!! Had more than my fair share of stitches with all these boys........they turned it into a game.....who had the running total for the most stitches.....
.....they still compare battle scars and laugh.....
still somewhat intimidated by the prospect of doing a family website, in a way it is easy....but there have been hiccups along the way......still, it is great fun learning!!!!!! had to start from scratch a while back.....nothing like trial and error.....
Lisa
still somewhat intimidated by the prospect of doing a family website, in a way it is easy....but there have been hiccups along the way......still, it is great fun learning!!!!!! had to start from scratch a while back.....nothing like trial and error.....
Lisa
Re: Website Design / HTML
Jen is ok now Lisa...Thanks for asking!
I heard her screaming from across the street where I had just gone for a few minutes to give a neighbour something and her and her brother got into it. Of course, she ran up the stairs and must have caught on a staple or something in the rug...not really sure. So blood all over the new carpet and a screaming nine year old. Always fun when that happens.
I really don't know how you survived all those boys in one house!! Hope your hubby's feeling better too. Lots of strange bugs going around...beware!
I've finished up all my other projects (including stevemorse) and really want to try this. You'll do fine with your own family website...I have faith in you. You're one smart cookie so don't give up! Then you'll have to post the link so we can see it.
By the way...Hi Bob!!! Thanks again for doing this for us and for letting me vent on your thread!
I heard her screaming from across the street where I had just gone for a few minutes to give a neighbour something and her and her brother got into it. Of course, she ran up the stairs and must have caught on a staple or something in the rug...not really sure. So blood all over the new carpet and a screaming nine year old. Always fun when that happens.
I really don't know how you survived all those boys in one house!! Hope your hubby's feeling better too. Lots of strange bugs going around...beware!
I've finished up all my other projects (including stevemorse) and really want to try this. You'll do fine with your own family website...I have faith in you. You're one smart cookie so don't give up! Then you'll have to post the link so we can see it.
By the way...Hi Bob!!! Thanks again for doing this for us and for letting me vent on your thread!
Re: Website Design / HTML
Sounds like you needed the vent ... I was just getting ready to vent about a lack of air conditioning ... 85+ degrees in the apartment and we just got a fan running.
If it's OK, I'll post something in a few more hours ... I want to wait for the temp to drop a bit ... the LCD panels REALLY generate heat.
[hr]
Background
What you can do in the meantime is find a background that you want to use for the site you are creating ... it should have an image of some sort on the left side and a solid on the right (look at the bg_image.gif to get an idea of the style we are looking for.
When you have something, post it here and I'll let you know if it's OK.
If it's OK, I'll post something in a few more hours ... I want to wait for the temp to drop a bit ... the LCD panels REALLY generate heat.
[hr]
Background
What you can do in the meantime is find a background that you want to use for the site you are creating ... it should have an image of some sort on the left side and a solid on the right (look at the bg_image.gif to get an idea of the style we are looking for.
When you have something, post it here and I'll let you know if it's OK.
Bob Fornal
http://www.podcastgenealogy.com
http://www.podcastgenealogy.com

