Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
Good news. My uncle Vince came by yesterday. on top of leaving a few nice, old pictures of my grandfather, great-grandfather and great-grandmother (and even 1 of my great-great grandmother and father - talk about creepy looking pictures when they date back that far...almost like they're drawings...) he informed me that my grandfather Leonardo had a brother Peter (Pietro) and a sister Carmen who both lived in Toronto. They were both older and i think they must have come with his father Giuseppe. but i'm not 100%. i couldn't grill him with questions because we were entertaining my baby. AKA trying to prevent him from crying...
Oh yeah...i almost forgot. I think my great-grandfather Giuseppe Giuffre had a brother Francesco Eduardo Giuffre. I'm not 100% about that though. It's so dificult to find out info about Giuseppe. I think his wife Rosaria Vazzana Giuffre passed away 5-10 years after my grandfather Leonardo was born.
-DJ
Ontario, Canada Deaths, 1869-1932
about Francisco Paulo Mattio Giuffre
Name: Francisco Paulo Mattio Giuffre
Death Date: 27 Jun 1913
Death Location: York
Gender: Male
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1862
Birth Location: Italy
this must be a different Francesco. It has his father as Giuseppe. Giuseppe's brother (as far as i know) was a Francesco Eduardo Giuffre and i'm not sure it he came to Canada. I have the feeling that he stayed in Termini...
Guys...re the Martorino; this is what my second Uncle wrote:
---------------------------------------------
We found the information on the manifest stuff a while back. The Martorino you saw, we think is your grandmother's and my father's, Father. We're not certain because, we understand that our grandfather came over under the name of Gus Panofio and took his adoptive brother's name, Guiseppe Martorino. No-One's really sure. If you look at the manifest you'll see both names.
---------------------------------------------------
So that's him...but which one?? the Pandofino above the Martorino or the Martorino?
Alright nuccia...Amodeo connection to the Giuffre's...
This is quoted from my cousin:
"My mom figured out the Amodeo connection. Apparently grampa's (Leonardo Giuffre) brother Peter had a daughter named Rose who married a man with the last name Amodeo. Hope that clears things up."
I have to check that manifest again for a Rose on it...
I just found this. It looks like it has some info i couldn't find before. Namely my ggrandfather's siblings. The (unknown) Giuffre is Leonardo Giuffre (my gggrandfather) and the Giuseppe is my ggrandfather.
DJay75 wrote:I just found this. It looks like it has some info i couldn't find before. Namely my ggrandfather's siblings. The (unknown) Giuffre is Leonardo Giuffre (my gggrandfather) and the Giuseppe is my ggrandfather.
I didn't see this information posted, but if missed, I apologize for repeating.
You can trace the family in Termini Imeresa through the films of the civil registry ( the original birth, marriage, & death acts .for this town that you can get at your locsl LDS Church (Mormons)-Family History Center.
I am working a a giuffre family in Canada and I am hoping there is a connection.
I'm not sure if all of my information is correct as I have just started my research.
My husbands great grandfather came to Canada in 1901 Giuseppe Giuffre (he is named Joseph Giuffre on the 1911 census) He came over on the 10th of June 1901 on the ship Scotia. With him appears to be his sister inlaw and some of her children. She was Liboria Calderone and was married to Matteo Giuffre. On the ship record it says that they are going to Matteo's house in Toronto.
Giuesppe's wife and children do not come over until 1904 and she brings with her 3 children and I believe another child of Matteos. Her name was Maria Caruso (on the 1911 census Mary)going to Matteo's house.
I think that Matteo left the town of Termimi Imerese Palermo Italy in 1892 with two other brothers (Domenico and Salvatore) and I think they first went to Chicago and then Matteo came to Canada in 1894 according to the 1901 census in Canada.
Matteo dies on 27th June 1913 in Toronto. On his death certificate his name reads as Francisco Paulo Mattio Giuffre....so I think he could be Matteo Francesco Paolo Giuffre christened 24th Apr 1860 son of Giuseppe Giuffre and Liboria Pedone...this connects I believe to the birth he gives in the 1901 census of Apr 28th 1860. (I have come to the conclusion that no one really knew their birthdates??
If any of this sounds familiar I would love to here from you.
Giuseppe Giuffre and the last name Calderone are familiar. I'd have to look back into how Calderone is linked to my Giuffre side. In 1904 my grandfather, Leonardo Giuffre, wouldn't have been born yet. His birthdate was 1907 and he came to Canada in 1921. One interesting thing is that my grandfather came here with 2 siblings...do you know Giuseppe's wife's first name or maiden name?
Was your husband's gggrandfather a Leonardo? What's your husbands father's first name? Are they still Giuffre's or did they change thier last name to Jeffrey like my grandfather did?
Ginseppe's wife was Maria Caruso. You found them on the 1911 census they are Mary and Joseph on this census. My husband's granfather was born in Toronto in 1907. He was born Salvatore Matteo. On the 1911 census his name is Samuel....but he was known as Jeff for Giuffre. They did keep the name Giuffre though. If you are looking on the Canadian index Giuffre is spelt very wrong and so are some of the other names it is spelt Jueffre if you would like to see them. I still haven't found the Matteo on the census and there is also a Antonio that should be on the 1911 census.
You mentioned Queen street. Ginseppe was on Queen Street and so was Matteo at some point. The other addresses I have from the beginning of the 1900's are Center Street, Chestnut Street and College street.
Have you looked on the ship records to see what address your Leonardo was going to? It seems like a lot of them let children behind for long periods of time. I think that some travelled back and forth before bringing their wives and children over. What year did your Ginseppe come over?
Hopefullly we can make a connection and help each other out.