Marchese, St. Nicola, Calabria

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
Post Reply
User avatar
bmarchese
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 2
Joined: 26 Nov 2006, 00:00
Location: Toronto, Ontario Canada

Marchese, St. Nicola, Calabria

Post by bmarchese »

My ex husband was born in St. Nicola, in the province of Calabria. His family emigrated to Toronto, Canada.

They travelled to Rome by train and took a cruise ship from Rome to Halifax, in the early 50's.

How do I find out more information on shipping lines during that time period.

Brenda :?: :?:
wldspirit
Staff
Staff
Posts: 5606
Joined: 17 Nov 2004, 00:00
Location: U.S.A.
Contact:

Re: Marchese, St. Nicola, Calabria

Post by wldspirit »

Immigration records are available thru the 1950's, at Ancestry.com......if you would like help locating a record, please provide further details.
I was able to pull up more than one immigration record for the surname Marchese going to Canada.
wldspirit
wldspirit
Staff
Staff
Posts: 5606
Joined: 17 Nov 2004, 00:00
Location: U.S.A.
Contact:

Re: Marchese, St. Nicola, Calabria

Post by wldspirit »

If you are interested in the history of a particular ship or ships, then you may find this site of interest:

http://www.immigrantships.net/

http://www.theshipslist.com/

wldspirit
nuccia
Staff
Staff
Posts: 4606
Joined: 20 Nov 2005, 00:00
Location: Toronto, Canada
Contact:

Re: Marchese, St. Nicola, Calabria

Post by nuccia »

My mom arrived through Halifax's Pier 21 as well in 1960. I have looked through this website a few times although it hasn't helped me at all....it may however be useful to you.

You can write away for the actual info though. There is a number to call on the website (sorry but I've packed everything away to prepare for the holidays so I don't have it handy at the moment). If you call them, they will send you paperwork where you can write away for the actual manifest for your family under the Freedom of Information Act.

http://www.pier21.ca/

I'll try and dig it out for you this week.

By the way..I'm in Toronto as well... :D :D
nuccia - IG Moderator
Italian Surname Database
Image
nuccia
Staff
Staff
Posts: 4606
Joined: 20 Nov 2005, 00:00
Location: Toronto, Canada
Contact:

Re: Marchese, St. Nicola, Calabria

Post by nuccia »

There does seem to be one Marchese family on that site..

http://www.pier21.ca/Marchese_Family__G ... ]=marchese
Hope it helps you!
nuccia - IG Moderator
Italian Surname Database
Image
Post Reply