WWII POW THORNBURY DEVON - ALBANI/ALBANO - NOT ALBERTO!!!
WWII POW THORNBURY DEVON - ALBANI/ALBANO - NOT ALBERTO!!!
The details I have are vague, however, I am trying to trace some information regarding a WWII Italian POW who I believe was at the Exhibition Field Camp, Holsworthy, Devon UK. For approx two years (circa 1943-45) he worked in the nearby village of Thornbury on a farm run by the Priest family.
He was the only POW working in the village and his first name was Alberto (surname is unknown). I have been told that he was known for his red hair and there is a possibility he remained in the area after the war ended.
I would be grateful if anyone has any information/recollections about this gentleman or alternatively could offer any other assistance to aid my search.
Thanks in advance.
Further to the above message, I have since been provided with some new information and it seems the soldier was known as Albani or possibly Albano, but not Alberto. His surname was Demanico or Domanico. I have additionally been told that he probably moved back to Italy after the war and that his father was a farmer. The nationality of his mother was German.
Any information based on these new leads would be much appreciated.
He was the only POW working in the village and his first name was Alberto (surname is unknown). I have been told that he was known for his red hair and there is a possibility he remained in the area after the war ended.
I would be grateful if anyone has any information/recollections about this gentleman or alternatively could offer any other assistance to aid my search.
Thanks in advance.
Further to the above message, I have since been provided with some new information and it seems the soldier was known as Albani or possibly Albano, but not Alberto. His surname was Demanico or Domanico. I have additionally been told that he probably moved back to Italy after the war and that his father was a farmer. The nationality of his mother was German.
Any information based on these new leads would be much appreciated.
Re: WWII POW THORNBURY DEVON - ALBANI/ALBANO - NOT ALBERTO!!
it could be viceversa? Domenico ALBANO/I? suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery
----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
Re: WWII POW THORNBURY DEVON - ALBANI/ALBANO - NOT ALBERTO!!
suanj wrote:it could be viceversa? Domenico ALBANO/I? suanj
I have managed to speak to the farm owners son who knew the POW. He advised that he was known to all as Albani, however, I am having difficulty confirming this as a forename. He said his surname was Demonico but wasn't sure of the spelling. What makes you think it could be viceversa? Maybe Albini was a nickname? Any ideas or thoughts would be greatly appreciated!
Re: WWII POW THORNBURY DEVON - ALBANI/ALBANO - NOT ALBERTO!!
no Albani is surname and Domenico is first name...suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery
----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
Re: WWII POW THORNBURY DEVON - ALBANI/ALBANO - NOT ALBERTO!!
I suppose as a POW it would make sense the farm owner and his family calling him by his surname. Have you any ideas how I could try to trace him, addresses to write to Italy or websites etc? Thanks.suanj wrote:no Albani is surname and Domenico is first name...suanj
Re: WWII POW THORNBURY DEVON - ALBANI/ALBANO - NOT ALBERTO!!
currently are in Italy, only 8 Domenico ALBANI living, but Albani is a surname of so large presence in Italy... I believe that he was of north Italy... but only a my idea... suanj
PS: if you can find by RED CROSS almost some infos... they must to have.. currently I making a similar search in UK for a polish soldier andthis are the source also in the defense ministre( hoping right in english spell) you can ask, but for first step you can ask to RED CROSS and mentioning the POW camp.. if you can to descover almost the right name spell and the birthdate sure you can find also the birthplace... also in parish archive you can find something... this is a long search but no impossible; the Uk government have the list of italian POW that came back in Italy..
regards, suanj
PS: if you can find by RED CROSS almost some infos... they must to have.. currently I making a similar search in UK for a polish soldier andthis are the source also in the defense ministre( hoping right in english spell) you can ask, but for first step you can ask to RED CROSS and mentioning the POW camp.. if you can to descover almost the right name spell and the birthdate sure you can find also the birthplace... also in parish archive you can find something... this is a long search but no impossible; the Uk government have the list of italian POW that came back in Italy..
regards, suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery
----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
Re: WWII POW THORNBURY DEVON - ALBANI/ALBANO - NOT ALBERTO!!
That's great. I already have the addresses for the Red Cross and also Italian Ministry of Defence so thanks for confirming I am searching in the right direction. Just as a matter of interest how do you know there are only 8 D. Albani alive?suanj wrote:currently are in Italy, only 8 Domenico ALBANI living, but Albani is a surname of so large presence in Italy... I believe that he was of north Italy... but only a my idea... suanj
PS: if you can find by RED CROSS almost some infos... they must to have.. currently I making a similar search in UK for a polish soldier andthis are the source also in the defense ministre( hoping right in english spell) you can ask, but for first step you can ask to RED CROSS and mentioning the POW camp.. if you can to descover almost the right name spell and the birthdate sure you can find also the birthplace... also in parish archive you can find something... this is a long search but no impossible; the Uk government have the list of italian POW that came back in Italy..
regards, suanj
Re: WWII POW THORNBURY DEVON - ALBANI/ALBANO - NOT ALBERTO!!
I believe this may help answer your question...here is a listing from the Italian White Pages for Domenico Albani..
Albani
Hope this helps...

Albani
Hope this helps...
Re: WWII POW THORNBURY DEVON - ALBANI/ALBANO - NOT ALBERTO!!
That's fantasticnuccia wrote:I believe this may help answer your question...here is a listing from the Italian White Pages for Domenico Albani..
Albani
Hope this helps...![]()
Now, sorry to sound a complete idiot but just to make sure as an example.....24042 Capriate San Gervasio (BG) - Via Europa, 18/20 would address???;
18/20 Via Europa
24042
Capriate San Gervasio (BG)
Italia
I suppose there's a possibilty that one of these people could be a relation. Aren't first born sons often named after their father?
Re: WWII POW THORNBURY DEVON - ALBANI/ALBANO - NOT ALBERTO!!
so:
........name
18/20 Via Europa
24042 Capriate San Gervasio (BG)
Italia
........name
18/20 Via Europa
24042 Capriate San Gervasio (BG)
Italia
Envy is the most flattering of flattery
----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
Re: WWII POW THORNBURY DEVON - ALBANI/ALBANO - NOT ALBERTO!!
however you must write for first thing in Defense Ministry of UK, they have the records of italian pows in the camp interested from your search, regards, suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery
----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
Re: WWII POW THORNBURY DEVON - ALBANI/ALBANO - NOT ALBERTO!!
In Italy, often first born sons are named after their paternal grandfather, rarely their fathers...I would probably do as suanj suggests first. It may simplify things for you.I suppose there's a possibility that one of these people could be a relation. Aren't first born sons often named after their father?
Re: WWII POW THORNBURY DEVON - ALBANI/ALBANO - NOT ALBERTO!!
Thanks. I have a letter to go to the Ministry so fingers crossed they will be able to help!
Re: WWII POW THORNBURY DEVON - ALBANI/ALBANO - NOT ALBERTO!!
I am based in Thornbury in Devon and have an interest in the history of the hamlet. I am particularly interested to know about the wartime POWs who came here as one old man mentioned there being a POW camp in the village itself but I cannot find anything about it. Do you know where your relation was housed? The Priests are still big farmers in the area. I would love to hear from you. Meg



