Surname Velleca
Surname Velleca
Hi, I am looking for information on my grear-grandfather Francesco Velleca.
From what I already know, I think he was born around 1862 in Scafati, Salerno, Campania. His wife's name was Theresa, maiden name Langello. He left Italy alone around 1893, and his wife left 3 years later, with their children. I am trying to locate a ship manifest with his name, as I have not been able to find one. I am not sure where he went, Ellis Island or Boston, but he settled in Rhode Island with his family.
Anyways, any help is greatly appreciated, as I have been trying to locate this for a while now. Thanks a lot!
From what I already know, I think he was born around 1862 in Scafati, Salerno, Campania. His wife's name was Theresa, maiden name Langello. He left Italy alone around 1893, and his wife left 3 years later, with their children. I am trying to locate a ship manifest with his name, as I have not been able to find one. I am not sure where he went, Ellis Island or Boston, but he settled in Rhode Island with his family.
Anyways, any help is greatly appreciated, as I have been trying to locate this for a while now. Thanks a lot!
Re: Surname Velleca
What US documentation have you located so far??
wldspirit
wldspirit
Re: Surname Velleca
thanks for replying, just the US censuses from 1920 and 1930. His name in those was listed as Frank. I think that he is from Scafati, because his son, Henry put Scafati as his birthplace around 1888. I wrote to the registry office in Scafati, but have not had a reply and it has been almost a year.
thanks again!
thanks again!
Re: Surname Velleca
Is this the correct family on the 1900 census:
1900 United States Federal Census
Name: Henry Vallaga
Home in 1900: Bristol, Bristol, Rhode Island
Age: 10
Estimated birth year: abt 1890
Birthplace: Italy
Relationship to head-of-house: Son
Father's name: Frank
Mother's name: Treasa
Race: White
Immigration year: 1896
Household Members: Name Age
Frank Vallaga 39
Treasa Vallaga 30
Henry Vallaga 10
James Vallaga 1
Sophie Vallaga 2
Tony Vallaga 8
Fathers immigration is listed as 1893, consistent with your findings.
We can post the image if needed.
wldspirit
1900 United States Federal Census
Name: Henry Vallaga
Home in 1900: Bristol, Bristol, Rhode Island
Age: 10
Estimated birth year: abt 1890
Birthplace: Italy
Relationship to head-of-house: Son
Father's name: Frank
Mother's name: Treasa
Race: White
Immigration year: 1896
Household Members: Name Age
Frank Vallaga 39
Treasa Vallaga 30
Henry Vallaga 10
James Vallaga 1
Sophie Vallaga 2
Tony Vallaga 8
Fathers immigration is listed as 1893, consistent with your findings.
We can post the image if needed.
wldspirit
Re: Surname Velleca
Possible manifest:
http://ellisisland.org/EIFile/popup_wei ... &line=0426
I also checked documentation on Henry, he as well as other Velleca's list the town of birth as Scafati, not that many Velleca's listed in Rhode Island.
Here is further info on address, fax and email:
The City Hall is located in Piazza Municipio 1, phone +39 081 8571111, fax +39 081 8571111; the E-Mail address is sindaco@comune.scafati.sa.it.
wldspirit
http://ellisisland.org/EIFile/popup_wei ... &line=0426
I also checked documentation on Henry, he as well as other Velleca's list the town of birth as Scafati, not that many Velleca's listed in Rhode Island.
Here is further info on address, fax and email:
The City Hall is located in Piazza Municipio 1, phone +39 081 8571111, fax +39 081 8571111; the E-Mail address is sindaco@comune.scafati.sa.it.
wldspirit
Re: Surname Velleca
Was your request in Italian? Did you include a self addressed return envelope? A copy of your photo ID? International reply coupons?
If you did all this, then send a follow-up letter. By law, they are suppose to reply within 30 to 60 days.
http://www.circolocalabrese.org/resourc ... /index.asp
jcsm
If you did all this, then send a follow-up letter. By law, they are suppose to reply within 30 to 60 days.
http://www.circolocalabrese.org/resourc ... /index.asp
jcsm
Researching in San Vitaliano, Napoli, Italy & Armento, Potenza, Italy.
- goldhunter
- Rookie

- Posts: 27
- Joined: 13 Apr 2005, 00:00
- Contact:
Re: Surname Velleca
Hi,
There is a record at the Castle Garden website for a Francesco Velleca, Dec 16, 1893 from Scafati.
http://www.castlegarden.org/
Jay
There is a record at the Castle Garden website for a Francesco Velleca, Dec 16, 1893 from Scafati.
http://www.castlegarden.org/
Jay
Re: Surname Velleca
It is the same manifest as I already provided above......
wldspirit
wldspirit
Re: Surname Velleca
Sorry, Lisa, I didn't check yours.
Just assumed they were different.
jcsm
jcsm
Researching in San Vitaliano, Napoli, Italy & Armento, Potenza, Italy.
Re: Surname Velleca
That's what I figured.....
Lisa
Lisa
Re: Surname Velleca
Just wondering.....maybe you didn't recieve anything in way of documentation because the town may fall under the jurisdiction of a nearby town....ran into this problem with my town of origin. Talamello did not hold the records, a nearby town, Novafeltria, held all the records of that comune.....thanks to Suanj.....we were finally able to get my documents.
If after following Jcms instructions, you still do not recieve a reply, you may want to look into the nearby towns, just a suggestion....
wldspirit
If after following Jcms instructions, you still do not recieve a reply, you may want to look into the nearby towns, just a suggestion....
wldspirit
Re: Surname Velleca
Thank You to all who helped! I will try the suggestions. The photo ID, can that just be a copy of a drivers license? I did not know that I was supposed to include that. And I was just wondering what size self addressed return envelope should i include? thanks again.
Re: Surname Velleca
I was also just wondering, how would I go about finding if Scafati may fall under the jurisdiction of a nearby town? Could I email them to get faster results? thanks!
Re: Surname Velleca
That I'm not sure of...Suanj discovered this info for me...but I had sent several request over several months.....never even recieved a reply stating that they no longer held the records
I would have given up if not for Suanj.....try emailing them, and ask about the records, if they have them and if not, where would you send for them.....maybe Suanj or another one of our Italian posters will see this and give you better direction....
wldspirit
I would have given up if not for Suanj.....try emailing them, and ask about the records, if they have them and if not, where would you send for them.....maybe Suanj or another one of our Italian posters will see this and give you better direction....
wldspirit


