Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
First, I should say hi, glad to find this place.
Now, I'll ask y'all for some advice.I've done a ton of research and found piles of information, both good and useless, in my family history research. I am stuck, however, on what the meaning of my last name could possibly be. I have learned that names ending in "ini" may have meant small. But small what? The closest I can find to Fig is figa...and we won't go there with what could mean (lets just say I found figa in the alternative Italian dictionary). Any help would be greatfully appreciated! And, am I off base is thinking that Fig may mean something? Could the name mean nothing? If it helps any we are from the Como/Lomazzo area and there are a ton of Figinis there...none will respond to my emails or snail mail though...Thanks again
Bec
Eat seafood? Use bait? Thank a commercial fisherman.
FIGINI
FIGINO Figini è specifico dell'areqa che comprende le province di Milano, Varese, Como e Lecco, con un ceppo, forse secondario, nell'alessandrino, Figino è assolutamente rarissimo e potrebbe trattarsi di una forma arcaica del primo, dovrebbero derivare dal toponimo Figino Serenza (CO) o Figino (MI), come si può ipotizzare facilmente da un atto del 1200 scritto a Milano e così firmato: "Ego Paganus de Figino notarius civitatis Mediolani porte Cumane iussu suprascripti notarii scripsi.". Tracce di questa cognomizzazione si trovano a Milano nella seconda metà del 1400 con Pietro Figino, un ricco e potente commerciante che fece costruire nel 1472 il famoso Coperto dei Figini in piazza del Duomo a Milano. Personaggio famoso con questo cognome è stato il pittore Giovanni Ambrogio Figino (1553-1608).
Can I say L'amo with out it being too weird. I have never found anything like that...although I have heard of the artist Figinio...
May I ask where you found that?
Thank you sooooo much
Eat seafood? Use bait? Thank a commercial fisherman.
as already said ricbru, the surname is very ancient.. I can to add:
that Figini and various version become yes from Figino Serenza name town where it was a ancient Figino noble family that after the town are called Figino as the castle family and this before of 1000 year.... sure the Figino( Figini is a version of Figino) was also in the MATRICOLA NOBILIUM ( the noble families of Milano ) in the 1227 http://xoomer.alice.it/ecalc/Calchi/documenti.htm
second another version the Figino/Figini surname could be a surname that
coming from " officina" aka in latin "fundus figlinus ", meaning a argillaceous land where it was clay's products working... http://www.gerenzanoforum.it/pagine_web ... omi_II.htm
regards, suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery
----------------------------------------------
Visit my website: ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
Thank you so much...I have been searching forever and I cannot believe that in less than 24 hours you all have helped me find this information! I don't speak or read or write Italian very well...I can make some sense of it, but I forwarded it to my aunt who does read so hopefully all of the information you have sent me will make more sense in a few days! Thanks again. There is no way to show how much I appreciate your help Or if there is let me know
Eat seafood? Use bait? Thank a commercial fisherman.