Need help finding census records for my Great Grandparents.
Re: Need help finding census records for my Great Grandparen
Maria Oliverio 1913 Ship Manifest showing mother as Barbera Allevato in San Giovanni as mother
Vessel--Konig Albert
Arrival--NYC on 8 Mar 1913
Passenger Maria Oliverio, age 21, single
Joining brother Luigi in WV
Closest relative in Italy, Barbera Allevato in San Giovanni
Note does not show her in the states previously and there is immigration info pencilled in.
At this point, we can stop searching records for Franceso Oliverio since the previous possible manifest posted which showed father as Francesco is probably incorrect.
Can someone post link for JimmySal?
Vessel--Konig Albert
Arrival--NYC on 8 Mar 1913
Passenger Maria Oliverio, age 21, single
Joining brother Luigi in WV
Closest relative in Italy, Barbera Allevato in San Giovanni
Note does not show her in the states previously and there is immigration info pencilled in.
At this point, we can stop searching records for Franceso Oliverio since the previous possible manifest posted which showed father as Francesco is probably incorrect.
Can someone post link for JimmySal?
Re: Need help finding census records for my Great Grandparen
Biff, great manifest
. vj
1913 oliverio manifest
page 2
line 22
also, appears to have naturalization notations
1913 oliverio manifest
page 2
line 22
also, appears to have naturalization notations
Re: Need help finding census records for my Great Grandparen
1920 Census Redux
In reviewing the 1920 census record posted previously for Sal and Maria there's a discrepancy with Maria's age on the census versus her age on the ship manifest as well as her year of immigration which is shown as 1908. But the daughters' names and approximate birth years seem to verify. If this is the correct census record and Maria's marital status as single on the 1913 ship manifest is also correct, Maria and Sal married shortly after her arrival in WV.
Just finished a wild card search of the WV state marriage records using first names only as "Sa*" and "Ma*" and found no probables.
In reviewing the 1920 census record posted previously for Sal and Maria there's a discrepancy with Maria's age on the census versus her age on the ship manifest as well as her year of immigration which is shown as 1908. But the daughters' names and approximate birth years seem to verify. If this is the correct census record and Maria's marital status as single on the 1913 ship manifest is also correct, Maria and Sal married shortly after her arrival in WV.
Just finished a wild card search of the WV state marriage records using first names only as "Sa*" and "Ma*" and found no probables.
Re: Need help finding census records for my Great Grandparen
Biff83, I think this 1920 census record is the right one, maybe her age and arrival date are a miscommunication there are to many other consistencies. The 1913 ship manifest for Maria Oliverio is definitely the right one assuming Barbara Allevato is her mother. It does'nt make any sense why we can't find a marriage certificate for Sal and Maria in W. Virginia, maybe they did'nt get married "Officially" until they moved to Philadelphia. I'll see what I can dig up. It can get a bit confusing, there are so many Iaquintos and Oliverios in W. Virginia, as Wldspirit stated earlier.
Again, thank you guys for spending the time to help me. 
Re: Need help finding census records for my Great Grandparen
Hey guys,
Good news, I found a basic pedigree chart in my dad's records. I could not believe I found it. It has Salvatore Iaquinto born 2/19/1889, his parents are Francesco Jaquinta born 12/29/1856 and Rosa Perri born 03/23/1851. I don't know were Jaquinta comes from, but thats what is says. It has Maria Oliverio born 06/?/1892, her parents are Francesco Oliverio born 05/04/1851 and Barbara Allevato born 02/28/1855. It even goes a generation further, but I save that for later to avoid confusion.
Good news, I found a basic pedigree chart in my dad's records. I could not believe I found it. It has Salvatore Iaquinto born 2/19/1889, his parents are Francesco Jaquinta born 12/29/1856 and Rosa Perri born 03/23/1851. I don't know were Jaquinta comes from, but thats what is says. It has Maria Oliverio born 06/?/1892, her parents are Francesco Oliverio born 05/04/1851 and Barbara Allevato born 02/28/1855. It even goes a generation further, but I save that for later to avoid confusion.
Re: Need help finding census records for my Great Grandparen
Do you know if Francesco Oliverio and/or Barbara Allevato emigrated to West Virginia? Might need to revist other records posted previously to re-evaluate, i. e. 1910 Census for Francesco Oliverio posted by Joyce and the earlier ship manifest for Maria. Does the chart show Maria's grandmothers' names?JIMMYSAL wrote:Hey guys,
Good news, I found a basic pedigree chart in my dad's records. I could not believe I found it. It has Salvatore Iaquinto born 2/19/1889, his parents are Francesco Jaquinta born 12/29/1856 and Rosa Perri born 03/23/1851. I don't know were Jaquinta comes from, but thats what is says. It has Maria Oliverio born 06/?/1892, her parents are Francesco Oliverio born 05/04/1851 and Barbara Allevato born 02/28/1855. It even goes a generation further, but I save that for later to avoid confusion.
Re: Need help finding census records for my Great Grandparen
Hey Wldspirit, those two birth records you found for Giovanni Yaquinto and Antonio Yaquinto from W. Virginia are my two Great uncles John and Anthony. I just got of the phone with my great uncle Sal, he is the only child still alive from Salvatore and Maria Iaquinto and he confirmed the birth dates. I am going to meet with him tommorow and share info. I think he might have old birth certificates from Italy for Maria or Sal. I'm so excited to see what he has.
I'll post any new info I recieve from him.
JIMMYSAL
JIMMYSAL
Re: Need help finding census records for my Great Grandparen
Biff83, I'm not sure if Francesco or Barbara ever immigrated and it does have Maria's grandparents. They are Giovanni Oliverio and Antonia Spadafora parents to Francesco Oliverio and Antonio Allevato and Antonia Madia parents to Barbara Allevato. I not 100% sure the names are correct and it has no birth dates for the grandparents. 
Re: Need help finding census records for my Great Grandparen
Since neither of Maria's grandmothers' first names is Rosa, we can eliminate the 1907 ship manifest. It's fortunate you found the pedigree chart to help sort out the confusion we were all encountering due to the name and destination similarities in the multitude of online records.
Re: Need help finding census records for my Great Grandparen
Jimmy......That's fantastic, not only the chart, but Uncle Sal.....
While digging thru old documents, don't overlook photos, which may contain clues on the back, and check to see if maybe there are any old obituary clippings from newspapers, they most generally list tons of info........keep us posted!!!
Happy Hunting,
wldspirit
While digging thru old documents, don't overlook photos, which may contain clues on the back, and check to see if maybe there are any old obituary clippings from newspapers, they most generally list tons of info........keep us posted!!!
Happy Hunting,
wldspirit
___________________________
"Cambiano i suonatori ma la musica è sempre quella."
"Cambiano i suonatori ma la musica è sempre quella."
Re: Need help finding census records for my Great Grandparen
Jimmy,
If you're interested in learning a bit about the working and living conditions for WV miners and union activities, there's a link below. Just as they did in the anthracite region of Northeastern PA where my grandfather and his brothers settled, the coal operators brought in Eastern European and Italian immigrants beginning in the 1880s to replace "trouble makers" who talked of unionizing. Company stores, payment in scrip, patch towns were common in both the bituminous and anthracite fields.
If you haven't seen the movie Matewan, you might want to rent a copy or borrow one from your local library.
http://www.wvculture.org/hiStory/minewars.html
If you're interested in learning a bit about the working and living conditions for WV miners and union activities, there's a link below. Just as they did in the anthracite region of Northeastern PA where my grandfather and his brothers settled, the coal operators brought in Eastern European and Italian immigrants beginning in the 1880s to replace "trouble makers" who talked of unionizing. Company stores, payment in scrip, patch towns were common in both the bituminous and anthracite fields.
If you haven't seen the movie Matewan, you might want to rent a copy or borrow one from your local library.
http://www.wvculture.org/hiStory/minewars.html
Re: Need help finding census records for my Great Grandparen
Hey Biff83, this is so exciting to learn where and when my ancestors lived and worked. I will definitely take a look at that site and rent Matewan to find out more about working in a coal mine. It must have been tough work our relatives did!
Re: Need help finding census records for my Great Grandparen
Jimmy,
It does more than portray the conditions of working in a mine in the early 20th century, it details a watershed moment in the unionization of the mines in Mingo county. Not completely historically accurate but a great film nonetheless. If you want any suggestions on other books, films, etc. which detail the history of coal mining, you can PM me so we don't clutter the board.
It does more than portray the conditions of working in a mine in the early 20th century, it details a watershed moment in the unionization of the mines in Mingo county. Not completely historically accurate but a great film nonetheless. If you want any suggestions on other books, films, etc. which detail the history of coal mining, you can PM me so we don't clutter the board.
"Mintammicce impizzu mpizzu ca pue largu minne fazzu sule!"
Re: Need help finding census records for my Great Grandparen
Oh no you don't..you go ahead and clutter the board if you have somelike good to share.
I also have family that went to West Va...and besides, I love history so books and movies I'm in to.
Please, feel free to post a new topic under the Italian History & Culture or off topic board..I'm sure others would be as interested as I am to hear about what you know. I'm sure others would also like to contribute...
Thanks John...great topic. Oh.. I got the invite. Great job with your Tree and wonderful pictures! Will look it over more carefully this weekend when I jot everything down.
Please, feel free to post a new topic under the Italian History & Culture or off topic board..I'm sure others would be as interested as I am to hear about what you know. I'm sure others would also like to contribute...
Thanks John...great topic. Oh.. I got the invite. Great job with your Tree and wonderful pictures! Will look it over more carefully this weekend when I jot everything down.



