Re: Searching for My Family

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
JohnArmellino
Master
Master
Posts: 697
Joined: 09 Jun 2003, 00:00
Location: West New York (NJ)
Contact:

Re: Searching for My Family

Post by JohnArmellino »

Hi Robert - You are quite right when you say that Mirabello Sannitico is part of the Province of Campobasso. However, there is also a Comune of Campobasso, which is the provincial capital. Sometimes this creates a certain degree of confusion. I used Personal Ancestral File (PAF) to create my database, which was substantially drawn from the Registri dello Stato Civile of Campobasso, but also includes data from Busso, Ferrazzano, and Oratino.
John Armellino
User avatar
jtorre
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 16
Joined: 15 Mar 2005, 00:00
Contact:

Re: Searching for My Family

Post by jtorre »

Go to www.torricellapeligna.com It's all about the town and has lots of genealgy data. It is managed by several descendants of the town who are very knowledgeable and visit there often -- one is a Porecca (sp?).

J Torre
User avatar
bob.colleen
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 24
Joined: 08 Jan 2007, 00:00
Location: Las Vegas, Nevada USA

Re: Searching for My Family

Post by bob.colleen »

J Torre:

Thank you for the website information. More importantly, thank you for your time and interest.

I am familiar with this site and visit it quite often.

Robert
User avatar
bob.colleen
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 24
Joined: 08 Jan 2007, 00:00
Location: Las Vegas, Nevada USA

Re: Searching for My Family

Post by bob.colleen »

I received my grandparents translated (Latin) wedding registration from Denver today. It says my grandfather, Antonio Porreco was the son of Pantaleone and Aloysia Fante. I have to say I am confused.

I anticipated the surname De Lillo or Di Lillo. On their first child’s baptismal record it shows the sponsors names as Vincent and Gerarda Lillo. Perhaps these were my grandfather’s parents. (???) I am still waiting for records from the railroad retirement board. I hope I get something more distinct.

Robert
User avatar
Biff83
Master
Master
Posts: 4495
Joined: 02 Jan 2007, 00:00

Re: Searching for My Family

Post by Biff83 »

I believe I've found a possible ship manifest for your grandfather under the name Antonio Fante traveling with mother Luisa to Denver Colorado. Liguria out of Naples arrived NY on 4 Mar 1901. Antonio's yob appox 1889.
Check lines 27 and 26. Last residence sure looks like Torricella Peligna. Joining brother/uncle Angelo.

http://www.ellisisland.org/EIFile/popup ... &line=0027
"Mintammicce impizzu mpizzu ca pue largu minne fazzu sule!"
User avatar
bob.colleen
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 24
Joined: 08 Jan 2007, 00:00
Location: Las Vegas, Nevada USA

Re: Re: Searching for My Family

Post by bob.colleen »

This has possibilities! Thanks for your effort and input!

Robert
jcsm400
V.I.P.
V.I.P.
Posts: 2111
Joined: 31 Jan 2006, 00:00
Location: USA

Re: Searching for My Family

Post by jcsm400 »

bob.colleen wrote:sponsors,Vincent and Gerarda Lillo. Perhaps these were my grandfather’s parents. (???) Robert
Sponsors=godparents

They do not have to be related.

Hope this helps.

:) jcsm
Researching in San Vitaliano, Napoli, Italy & Armento, Potenza, Italy.
User avatar
bob.colleen
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 24
Joined: 08 Jan 2007, 00:00
Location: Las Vegas, Nevada USA

Re: Re: Searching for My Family

Post by bob.colleen »

jcms400: I am aware a sponsor doesnot necessarily have to be related.

Thanks!

Biff83: I do not find a date on the actual manifest.

Robert
User avatar
Biff83
Master
Master
Posts: 4495
Joined: 02 Jan 2007, 00:00

Re: Re: Searching for My Family

Post by Biff83 »

bob.colleen wrote:This has possibilities! Thanks for your effort and input!

Robert
You're welcome. Your grandfather and mine had the same occupation, hostler helper, in 1917. Us railroad folk gotta stick together.
"Mintammicce impizzu mpizzu ca pue largu minne fazzu sule!"
User avatar
Biff83
Master
Master
Posts: 4495
Joined: 02 Jan 2007, 00:00

Re: Re: Searching for My Family

Post by Biff83 »

bob.colleen wrote: Biff83: I do not find a date on the actual manifest.

Robert
It's not uncommon for the date to be missing at the top of a manifest page but I'm sure the date is correct.
"Mintammicce impizzu mpizzu ca pue largu minne fazzu sule!"
User avatar
bob.colleen
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 24
Joined: 08 Jan 2007, 00:00
Location: Las Vegas, Nevada USA

Re: Searching for My Family

Post by bob.colleen »

Biff83: The ship manifest you furnished me was much more than a possibility. It solved the puzzle! This is my great grandmother and her son Antonio... my grandfather. How did you find it so quickly after my post?

Robert
User avatar
Biff83
Master
Master
Posts: 4495
Joined: 02 Jan 2007, 00:00

Re: Searching for My Family

Post by Biff83 »

After you posted the translation of the wedding registration which showed Antonio's father's surname, I did a search on Antonio Fante and bingo. Finding mother Luisa was a bonus verified by the wedding registration showing Aloysia as his mother.

Big thanks to jcsm400 for suggesting you contact the church(es) in the area where your grandparents lived for the wedding info. Without the wedding registration, we'd still be looking.
"Mintammicce impizzu mpizzu ca pue largu minne fazzu sule!"
Post Reply