Goggio/Leva from Bassignana
- mattismom03
- Newbie

- Posts: 10
- Joined: 21 Feb 2007, 00:00
Goggio/Leva from Bassignana
I am looking for any information on Goggio or Leva families from Bassignana in Northern Italy. I seem to have hit a dead end.
Looking specifically for Emilia Leva Goggio with mother's name Clementina Leva.
AND
Francesco Goggio with father's name Luigi Goggio.
Any information is appreciated.
THANKS!!!!!
Looking specifically for Emilia Leva Goggio with mother's name Clementina Leva.
AND
Francesco Goggio with father's name Luigi Goggio.
Any information is appreciated.
THANKS!!!!!
Re: Goggio/Leva from Bassignana
I'm guessing you have seen the ship manifests for both Francesco and Emilia since father/mother names are listed on them. If not, let us know and we can post. Destination shown was Memphis TN.
Based on ship manifests
Pesaro arrived 5 Jan 1921
Francesco Goggio, yob about 1893
Dante Alighieri arrived 30 Dec 1921
Emilia Leva wife, yob about 1884
Teresina, daughter, yob about 1913
Luigi, son, yob about 1916
Giovanni, son, yob about 1919
Are the above correct? Are you looking for US records (ie census, draft cards) or civil and/or parish records from Italy?
Based on ship manifests
Pesaro arrived 5 Jan 1921
Francesco Goggio, yob about 1893
Dante Alighieri arrived 30 Dec 1921
Emilia Leva wife, yob about 1884
Teresina, daughter, yob about 1913
Luigi, son, yob about 1916
Giovanni, son, yob about 1919
Are the above correct? Are you looking for US records (ie census, draft cards) or civil and/or parish records from Italy?
"Mintammicce impizzu mpizzu ca pue largu minne fazzu sule!"
- mattismom03
- Newbie

- Posts: 10
- Joined: 21 Feb 2007, 00:00
Re: Goggio/Leva from Bassignana
I did get information from the ship manifests. I guess I am looking for more information on the father and mother, Emilia from Italy. I have not been able to find anything else, but I'm probably not looking in the right places, either.
Thanks!!!!!
Thanks!!!!!
- mattismom03
- Newbie

- Posts: 10
- Joined: 21 Feb 2007, 00:00
Re: Goggio/Leva from Bassignana
I am relatively new at this...where are the best places/best methods to find civil (or other relevant) records in Italy?
Thanks for your help!
Thanks for your help!
Re: Goggio/Leva from Bassignana
You've verified that Franceso's father was Luigi and that Emilia's mother was Clementina, both living in Bassignana, and that both Francesco and Emilia's birthplace was Bassignana. Since Emilia listed her mother as the closest relative in Italy, her father may have been deceased. Their actual dates of birth, however, are only approximate, and are probably plus or minus one year. We're not sure of their marriage date but if Teresina was their first child, then their marriage would have been before about 1913. There's also the chance that Emilia was widowed and remarried to Francesco. Just a possibility.
In doing a quick check it appears that there are no microfilmed records for Bassignana available at LDS. So, you would need to write the commune or the church(es) for copies of the civil and church records.
Hopefully, one or two of the regulars can provide more information.
In doing a quick check it appears that there are no microfilmed records for Bassignana available at LDS. So, you would need to write the commune or the church(es) for copies of the civil and church records.
Hopefully, one or two of the regulars can provide more information.
"Mintammicce impizzu mpizzu ca pue largu minne fazzu sule!"
- mattismom03
- Newbie

- Posts: 10
- Joined: 21 Feb 2007, 00:00
Re: Goggio/Leva from Bassignana
Thanks so much for the insight. I appreciate your help!!!
S
S
Re: Goggio/Leva from Bassignana
Mattismom3,
I'm checking the 1930 census records. Do you know if the Goggio family lived in Memphis in 1930 or did they relocate elsewhere? Did they have any other children and, if so, do your know their names, dates of birth, places of birth?
I'm checking the 1930 census records. Do you know if the Goggio family lived in Memphis in 1930 or did they relocate elsewhere? Did they have any other children and, if so, do your know their names, dates of birth, places of birth?
"Mintammicce impizzu mpizzu ca pue largu minne fazzu sule!"
Re: Goggio/Leva from Bassignana
1930 Census Record for Francesco and Emilia
Tennesse, Shelby, Memphis
Address looks like 5 Lamar St
Frank Goggio (on Ancestry as Frank Gaggis), age 38, fruit packer
Amelia, wife, age 36 which makes yob about 1894
Theresa, daughter
Louis, son
Johnie, son
Frankie, son
Marriage year calculates to about 1912/1913 based on age at marriage.
http://img510.imageshack.us/img510/1990 ... 930ad4.jpg
Note Emilia's age on census. Did the person typing the ship manifest create a typo by hitting a 3 instead of a 2 showing her age as 37 when it should have been 27?
Tennesse, Shelby, Memphis
Address looks like 5 Lamar St
Frank Goggio (on Ancestry as Frank Gaggis), age 38, fruit packer
Amelia, wife, age 36 which makes yob about 1894
Theresa, daughter
Louis, son
Johnie, son
Frankie, son
Marriage year calculates to about 1912/1913 based on age at marriage.
http://img510.imageshack.us/img510/1990 ... 930ad4.jpg
Note Emilia's age on census. Did the person typing the ship manifest create a typo by hitting a 3 instead of a 2 showing her age as 37 when it should have been 27?
"Mintammicce impizzu mpizzu ca pue largu minne fazzu sule!"
Re: Goggio/Leva from Bassignana
Hi mattismom03,
You can trace your families through the LDS Church (Mormons) films for the town of Bassignana. They have filmed the civil records (birth, marriage, & death acts) for the years 1866 through 1925. Here is a link to the available films.>
http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Library ... ato+civile++
These films can be ordered/rented at your local LDS-Family History Center. To locate your nearest FHC.>
http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Library ... et_fhc.asp
Here is additional information on obtaining these films.>
http://italiangenealogy.tardio.com/Foru ... =2581.html
Your FHC may have an Italian-English dictionary that you can use, but I also recommend purchasing their Italian-English genealogical word list. It helps with translating the records.
If you prefer to write the town for the records, please let us know & we can provide you with the address & additional information.
Also, if you have any questions, need anything else, etc., at anytime, please don't hesitate to ask.
Hope this helps & happy hunting!
jcsm
You can trace your families through the LDS Church (Mormons) films for the town of Bassignana. They have filmed the civil records (birth, marriage, & death acts) for the years 1866 through 1925. Here is a link to the available films.>
http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Library ... ato+civile++
These films can be ordered/rented at your local LDS-Family History Center. To locate your nearest FHC.>
http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Library ... et_fhc.asp
Here is additional information on obtaining these films.>
http://italiangenealogy.tardio.com/Foru ... =2581.html
Your FHC may have an Italian-English dictionary that you can use, but I also recommend purchasing their Italian-English genealogical word list. It helps with translating the records.
If you prefer to write the town for the records, please let us know & we can provide you with the address & additional information.
Also, if you have any questions, need anything else, etc., at anytime, please don't hesitate to ask.
Hope this helps & happy hunting!
Researching in San Vitaliano, Napoli, Italy & Armento, Potenza, Italy.
Re: Goggio/Leva from Bassignana
Mattismom03, Don't know if you've seen the following which contains a little information on Bassignana and a few nice pictures.
http://www.ilmonferrato.info/cs/bassig/bassig1.htm
http://www.ilmonferrato.info/cs/bassig/bassig1.htm
"Mintammicce impizzu mpizzu ca pue largu minne fazzu sule!"
- mattismom03
- Newbie

- Posts: 10
- Joined: 21 Feb 2007, 00:00
Re: Goggio/Leva from Bassignana
You guys are INVALUABLE!!!
That census record is exactly what I was looking for.
I have just started looking into my genealogy since the birth of my child, I guess I feel like I want her to know where she came from. Unfortuately, my grandfather passed away a few years back and never talked about any of this with my mom. She only knows bits and pieces.
Here's what I know...Emilia (Amelia) came over in 1921. We couldn't find a reason why she was 10 years older than her husband, but after seeing the census, we now know that it just had to be an error in her age on the ship's manifest. She died before my mother was born in 1941, but I can't find a record of it on the SS death index, or anywhere else for that matter. I've tried every possible variation of spelling of her name I can think of and nothing is coming up. So we know now that it had to be between 1930 and 1941. Any ideas for where else to look?
Thanks!
That census record is exactly what I was looking for.
I have just started looking into my genealogy since the birth of my child, I guess I feel like I want her to know where she came from. Unfortuately, my grandfather passed away a few years back and never talked about any of this with my mom. She only knows bits and pieces.
Here's what I know...Emilia (Amelia) came over in 1921. We couldn't find a reason why she was 10 years older than her husband, but after seeing the census, we now know that it just had to be an error in her age on the ship's manifest. She died before my mother was born in 1941, but I can't find a record of it on the SS death index, or anywhere else for that matter. I've tried every possible variation of spelling of her name I can think of and nothing is coming up. So we know now that it had to be between 1930 and 1941. Any ideas for where else to look?
Thanks!
Re: Goggio/Leva from Bassignana
Shelby County?
Vital Records Shelby
Vital Records Shelby
Re: Goggio/Leva from Bassignana
Valarie, way to go! Not only is there a record but there's a link to the actual document. Amelia Goggio, age 40, year of death 1933.
Mattismom03, if you have trouble finding, pm me. I will not post a direct link to the image here unless you want me to.
If anyone in the family became naturalized, the site also provides address/phone number information where you could write/phone to determine the procedures for obtaining same. As of the 1930 census, all family members, except son Frankie who was born in Tennessee, are listed as aliens.
Mattismom03, if you have trouble finding, pm me. I will not post a direct link to the image here unless you want me to.
If anyone in the family became naturalized, the site also provides address/phone number information where you could write/phone to determine the procedures for obtaining same. As of the 1930 census, all family members, except son Frankie who was born in Tennessee, are listed as aliens.
"Mintammicce impizzu mpizzu ca pue largu minne fazzu sule!"
- mattismom03
- Newbie

- Posts: 10
- Joined: 21 Feb 2007, 00:00
Re: Goggio/Leva from Bassignana
Thank you, thank you, thank you! You have been so helpful!
I did get to the link. This is really interesting b/c it lists her cause of death as glomerulonephritis...kidney disease. My mom has been suffering from kidney problems for a few years but had no idea there was a family link.
Thanks again. I'm sure I'll have more questions!
I did get to the link. This is really interesting b/c it lists her cause of death as glomerulonephritis...kidney disease. My mom has been suffering from kidney problems for a few years but had no idea there was a family link.
Thanks again. I'm sure I'll have more questions!
Re: Goggio/Leva from Bassignana
Don't get discouraged by the SSDI, deaths from that era will not be listed.She died before my mother was born in 1941, but I can't find a record of it on the SS death index,
For further reading:
http://www.rootsweb.com/~rwguide/lesson10.htm
wldspirit
___________________________
"Cambiano i suonatori ma la musica è sempre quella."
"Cambiano i suonatori ma la musica è sempre quella."


