I think you have everything correct,
he may have been indicating on the
census that he was in the process?
markings
Another great website on markings
(scroll down a bit)
Lou Alfano's Site
D'Onofrio or Denefrio from Dragoni?
Re: D'Onofrio or Denefrio from Dragoni?
It could be that his citizenship papers had been lost and then re-issued.
I know my grandfather's papers went missing and he had to request copies. All of this was because he was on a jury and he had to prove his citizenship. He had to fill in paperwork with all sorts of info. While I never saw the paperwork, I found a piece of paper, in his hand, attached to his copy of his re-issued citizenship papers. Without that paper, I am not sure I would have ever known where his father had been born! It was a gold mine.
If you figure it out, let us know!
I know my grandfather's papers went missing and he had to request copies. All of this was because he was on a jury and he had to prove his citizenship. He had to fill in paperwork with all sorts of info. While I never saw the paperwork, I found a piece of paper, in his hand, attached to his copy of his re-issued citizenship papers. Without that paper, I am not sure I would have ever known where his father had been born! It was a gold mine.
If you figure it out, let us know!
Re: D'Onofrio or Denefrio from Dragoni?
I found out today that on the 1920 census under naturalization it has 1907 and then AL. 1907 only means the year they came here. AL is for alien. So now I am back to searching for naturalization records from 1939 in Schenectady. At least I am narrowing it down 

