montfort

Do you need information about a certain town or village in Italy, or do you need help to find it on a map?
This forum will give you a helping hand.
Post Reply
User avatar
jolynn
Elite
Elite
Posts: 270
Joined: 15 Apr 2007, 00:00
Location: grimsby england

montfort

Post by jolynn »

hello all, can anyone tell me if there is or was an area in italy which was connected to the duchy or duke of montfort, when my grandmother came to england between 1901 -1908 she brought with her a pair of glasses with a crest on them with the name duke of montfort. i wondered if this might be the area where she came from. thankyou, regards john
vj
Master
Master
Posts: 8066
Joined: 16 Aug 2002, 00:00

Re: montfort

Post by vj »

John, with a little different spelling - at least 3

Monteforte Cilento, comune: Monteforte Cilento,
province: Salerno, region: Campania

Monteforte d'Alpone, comune: Monteforte d'Alpone,
province: Verona, region: Veneto

Monteforte Irpino, comune: Monteforte Irpino,
province: Avellino, region: Campania
User avatar
elba
V.I.P.
V.I.P.
Posts: 739
Joined: 15 Feb 2006, 00:00
Location: The Alps - N.Italy

Re: montfort

Post by elba »

This is the only Italian coat of arms I could find for Moteforte.
Is this like the crest you have?
>monteforte-italian<

But the De Montfort's were a French family from Brittany who did become involved with the Italian court. Wikipedia speaks of this but I can only find it in Italian.
If you think education is expensive - try ignorance!
"Gente di Mare Genealogy"
User avatar
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.
Posts: 15251
Joined: 20 Feb 2003, 00:00
Location: Molise region, Italy
Contact:

Re: montfort

Post by suanj »

maybe it could be MONFORTE... suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
User avatar
jolynn
Elite
Elite
Posts: 270
Joined: 15 Apr 2007, 00:00
Location: grimsby england

Re: montfort

Post by jolynn »

hello all, thanks for that, i have afeeling they came from the avellino area, it has been mentioned by another member of the family recently, how do i check this out when i come to italy? is there a archives locally , thankyou all regards john
Post Reply