Fallascoso, Italy to Ellis Island

Do you need information about a certain town or village in Italy, or do you need help to find it on a map?
This forum will give you a helping hand.
User avatar
diginto
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 18
Joined: 20 Aug 2007, 00:00

Re: Fallascoso, Italy to Ellis Island

Post by diginto »

Hi Valerie,

I don't believe he was staying with any of his children. The only town name that I was given was Scranton, PA. I do not have the census records for Scranton.

I know he died in Fallascoso when he was 75 years old.

Sorry I don't have any additional info to make this search easier. He is a mystery man.
vj
Master
Master
Posts: 8066
Joined: 16 Aug 2002, 00:00

Re: Fallascoso, Italy to Ellis Island

Post by vj »

He sure is!
We can double check Scranton again...
edit:added
tried a no name census search for born 1847 +/-2yrs in Italy
and checked the 1890-2 Scranton Directory, no luck

While I was nosing around looking for him...
Is this another son of Mariano DiTollo?

Rinaldo (1883) & brother? Antonio (1879) both widowers
with Rinaldo's children in Cleveland
1920 census

possible 1901 manifest
11 Jul 1901 SS Buenos Aires Naples to NY
line 23 name: Antonio DiLuzio?? 21-22 (abt 1879-80)
- last residence Torricella
- destination Phila
and on the detained page
line 16 name: Antonio Di Tollo
(has reference to main manifest page)
and on the special inquiry page
name: Ant Di Tollo
User avatar
diginto
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 18
Joined: 20 Aug 2007, 00:00

Re: Fallascoso, Italy to Ellis Island

Post by diginto »

Valerie,

You are a genius! !

Rinaldo and Antonio were his sons.

The only interesting fact that I see is that it shows Antonio as being a widower. As far as I knew, he was never married, but maybe he married in Italy and his wife died there.

Mariano DiTollo is still the Mystery Man. I was hoping to find that he came to America with his sons, but no luck. The only clue that I have is that he left his family in Fallascoso around 1885-1886. But where did he go?

This information is so helpful to me in putting the pieces of the puzzle together.
User avatar
diginto
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 18
Joined: 20 Aug 2007, 00:00

Re: Fallascoso, Italy to Ellis Island

Post by diginto »

Valerie,

What is the meaning of "Wait for add" and "Made S.I. 5 day case"
vj
Master
Master
Posts: 8066
Joined: 16 Aug 2002, 00:00

Re: Fallascoso, Italy to Ellis Island

Post by vj »

It appears he was originally detained, then whatever the reason for
detention (Wait for add) could not be resolved.
He then apparently went before the Special Inquiry (S.I.) board and
was admitted (after 5 days?).
from jewish.gen guide to manifest markings

and from ancestry.com
A "Record of Detained Aliens" lists the passengers who
were detained at the immigrant receiving station for
reasons not requiring a hearing by a Board of
Special Inquiry (S.I.)
The "Cause of Detention" is almost always a lack of sufficient
funds that was remedied with a phone call.
These passengers were admitted as soon as money arrived.
User avatar
diginto
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 18
Joined: 20 Aug 2007, 00:00

Re: Fallascoso, Italy to Ellis Island

Post by diginto »

Hi Valerie,

I really don't want to give up on finding some information about Mariano DiTollo, but I think we are at a dead end.

If you can think of any other avenue to explore, please let me know.
User avatar
diginto
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 18
Joined: 20 Aug 2007, 00:00

Re: Fallascoso, Italy to Ellis Island

Post by diginto »

Valerie,

In the 1920 Census that you found, it shows Rinaldo, Antonio (brother) and three children. About 1 or 2 years before, Rinaldo's wife died. Can you give me any information on her. I suppose she would be in the 1915 - 1919 Census.
vj
Master
Master
Posts: 8066
Joined: 16 Aug 2002, 00:00

Re: Fallascoso, Italy to Ellis Island

Post by vj »

Rinaldo Di Tollo
Angela Di Pietrantonio


1913 manifest
page 2
15 October 1913 SS Ancona Naples to Philadelphia
line 20
Angela Di Pietrantonio 33 (abt 1880)
- last residence Falascosa (Fallascoso)
- in Falascosa mother Carmina
- joining husband Rinaldo DiTollo at 1882? ? 120th Street Cleveland
- born in Fallascoso

Angela is listed on Rinaldo's 1918 card
1918 WWI Draft Registration Card
Rinaldo Di Tollo
User avatar
diginto
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 18
Joined: 20 Aug 2007, 00:00

Re: Fallascoso, Italy to Ellis Island

Post by diginto »

Valerie,

All of the information that you have provided me has been so valuable and appreciated by all of our family.

I have one more question.

Rinaldo's brother, Antonio DiTollo was born in allascoso in 1877. I don't have the month and year.

On one of the census or ship manifests, it shows him as a widower. We did not know that he was ever married. Do you know if he married someone in Italy?
vj
Master
Master
Posts: 8066
Joined: 16 Aug 2002, 00:00

Re: Fallascoso, Italy to Ellis Island

Post by vj »

Hi!
I'm so glad the records we found for your family are
correct. Thank you for the update!
Valarie

Antonio Di Tollo
His manifest from 1901 (above), stated he was single.
Couldn't find a later manifest.
He could have had someone from Italy
join him, and married her in the US?
His military draft cards state born
1 Nov 1878 (not always correct :wink: ).
The one from 1918 has nearest relative
as Anna Di Tollo in Chieti, is this his
mother?
1918 WWI Draft Registration Card
1942 WWII Draft Registration Card
page 2
User avatar
diginto
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 18
Joined: 20 Aug 2007, 00:00

Re: Fallascoso, Italy to Ellis Island

Post by diginto »

Hi Val,

It was on the 1920 Census above. It shows that both Rinaldo and Antonio were "W" widowed.
User avatar
diginto
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 18
Joined: 20 Aug 2007, 00:00

Re: Fallascoso, Italy to Ellis Island

Post by diginto »

Valerie,

If the 1920 Census shows that both Rinaldo and Antonio were widowed, who was Antonio married to in Italy?
vj
Master
Master
Posts: 8066
Joined: 16 Aug 2002, 00:00

Re: Fallascoso, Italy to Ellis Island

Post by vj »

If the 1920 Census shows that both Rinaldo and Antonio
were widowed, who was Antonio married to in Italy?


Hi!
The 1920 census may be incorrect.
Who was the 'Anna' in Chieti that Antonio listed on his
WWI Draft Card in 1918?
1918 WWI Draft Registration Card
Valarie
User avatar
diginto
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 18
Joined: 20 Aug 2007, 00:00

Re: Fallascoso, Italy to Ellis Island

Post by diginto »

Valerie,

The Anna listed was his mother, Anna Coladonato.

One of my family members was asking me if Antonio and Rinaldo married two sisters. I know Rinaldo married Angela DiPietrantonio. (You helped me confirm that.) Could Antonio have married Angela's sister, _______ DiPietrantionio?
User avatar
diginto
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 18
Joined: 20 Aug 2007, 00:00

Re: Fallascoso, Italy to Ellis Island

Post by diginto »

Valerie,

On second Thought.....
Antonio's mother's maiden name was Anna Coladonato. She married Mariano DiTollo. I know that women used their maiden names, but Antonio used Anna DiTollo. I guess he is talking about his mother.

If not, maybe their is another Anna that he married in Italy.
Post Reply