Hi all,
I will apply for IDC through the paternal line all the way to my GGF.
I just obtained my grandfather's (his son's) birth certificate from Mansfield, MA. The surname for him and father is spelled wrong. Also, the wife/mother's name and surname are spelled wrong.
I was told you cannot change information on a BC, especially when it dates all the way back to 1911.
Is this true? Also, since I'm applying from my GGF and his BC is correct, would this even matter?
Thanks,
Luca
Can you change a BC?
Re: Can you change a BC?
Difficult to answer your question since it very much depends on the consulate. It also depends on the error. Is it a simple transposition of letters? an "e" replaced by an "i"? an apostrophe omitted? a double consonant where there should be a single one? These simple transcription errors are likely to pass muster, but, as I noted earlier, only the consulate can make that determination.
- Italysearcher
- Master

- Posts: 3470
- Joined: 06 Jan 2008, 19:58
- Location: Sora, Italy
- Contact:
Re: Can you change a BC?
I helped someone with a similar problem and we had the town office (in Italy) make a written declaration that the two documents referred to the same person. Do you have any church or other documents with the right spelling?
Ann Tatangelo
http://angelresearch.net
Dual citizenship assistance, and document acquisition, on-site genealogical research in Lazio, Molise, Latina and Cosenza. Land record searches and succession.
http://angelresearch.net
Dual citizenship assistance, and document acquisition, on-site genealogical research in Lazio, Molise, Latina and Cosenza. Land record searches and succession.
Re: Can you change a BC?
Whether or not you can change a birth record depends upon the state. Who told you you could not change your grandfather's birth certificate? Most states allow such things to be changed with a court order. You just need proof of the error-- for example, a marriage record, death record, school record, baptismal record, etc.
