The Italian Consulate General in Houston sent me this email:
gentile sig. pizzo
le inviamo le nostre linee guida. Il documento che dimostra che una persona non si e' mai naturalizaata e' una dichiarazione dell'INS e del NARA di "no records of naturalization in the name of...."
cordialita'
Dr. Susanna Sgoifo
Consular Agent
Has anybody done this? Who do I call, write, visit?
Honestly, I do not know if my grandparents were naturalized, but in the event that they were, could I "cheat" the system?
For example, my grandfather was born Gaetano Rizzo and died as John Miller after a name change. If he was naturalized under Gaetano, than INS would not have a record of John, or vice versa.
"No records" document from the INS
I called the National Archives and spoke with a Cynthia Fox. She said that she has had this request several times (and only from people applying for Italian citizenship!!).
Basically, since my family arrived in America before 1906, I have a lot of work to do. After that year, all records were sent to the archives. Apparently, I have to go to every county courthouse where my family lived between their arrival in America until there death and get documents from them. Then I have to get a letter from the INS. And so on and so on. I thought the Italian documents would be hard to get, but this appears to be impossible.
Does anybody have a recomendation on a person I could hire to do this??
Basically, since my family arrived in America before 1906, I have a lot of work to do. After that year, all records were sent to the archives. Apparently, I have to go to every county courthouse where my family lived between their arrival in America until there death and get documents from them. Then I have to get a letter from the INS. And so on and so on. I thought the Italian documents would be hard to get, but this appears to be impossible.
Does anybody have a recomendation on a person I could hire to do this??
no documents
I have been trying to find my grandfathers documents for naturlization. If you check the census your grandfather should say what year he was naturlized. If their is an AL after his name then at that time he was not a citizen. If an NA appears then you only have to write to the county courthouse in which he lived or the local court house. I would ask to have them look for both names..good luck..i hope this is some help
www.archives.gov/facilities for the regional offices. Peter



