Photographing cemeteries in Italy

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
Post Reply
miller1969
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 20
Joined: 19 Mar 2008, 20:38

Photographing cemeteries in Italy

Post by miller1969 »

We're leaving in mid-June. We hope to take a day (hire a driver) to take us from Sorrento to Teggiano. I'd like to photograph any family surname stones that I find. But, I read somewhere that it's illegal to photographs graves in Italian cemeteries.

Does anyone know? Does anyone know the name of the cemetery/cemeteries in Teggiano?

Thanks for any help.
User avatar
Seraphina
Veteran
Veteran
Posts: 186
Joined: 25 Apr 2008, 15:32

Re: Photographing cemeteries in Italy

Post by Seraphina »

Hi Miller,

The cemetery doesn't seem to be listed on the website of Teggiano comune, so perhaps there isn't one, or it's in the grounds of one of the churches or the cathedral. If you type in Teggiano comune, you will get 3 or 4 different sites. If you can find an email address, it might be as well to email them, it will be tons quicker for you. You'll have to make the request in Italian, though.

Hope this is of some help.

Seraphina
User avatar
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.
Posts: 15251
Joined: 20 Feb 2003, 00:00
Location: Molise region, Italy
Contact:

Re: Photographing cemeteries in Italy

Post by suanj »

miller1969 wrote:We're leaving in mid-June. We hope to take a day (hire a driver) to take us from Sorrento to Teggiano. I'd like to photograph any family surname stones that I find. But, I read somewhere that it's illegal to photographs graves in Italian cemeteries.

Does anyone know? Does anyone know the name of the cemetery/cemeteries in Teggiano?

Thanks for any help.
yes it is illegal...
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
nuccia
Staff
Staff
Posts: 4606
Joined: 20 Nov 2005, 00:00
Location: Toronto, Canada
Contact:

Re: Photographing cemeteries in Italy

Post by nuccia »

suanj,

I heard though that you can ask permission to take pictures of the stones..is this true? If so, how would one go about it and who would they ask?
nuccia - IG Moderator
Italian Surname Database
Image
User avatar
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.
Posts: 15251
Joined: 20 Feb 2003, 00:00
Location: Molise region, Italy
Contact:

Re: Photographing cemeteries in Italy

Post by suanj »

the special permission must be made to Major, explaining the cause because a people wish made the picture... The Major can to accept it or no.... kisses, suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
nuccia
Staff
Staff
Posts: 4606
Joined: 20 Nov 2005, 00:00
Location: Toronto, Canada
Contact:

Re: Photographing cemeteries in Italy

Post by nuccia »

Thank You Raffaella! :D

Baci! :wink:
nuccia - IG Moderator
Italian Surname Database
Image
miller1969
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 20
Joined: 19 Mar 2008, 20:38

Re: Photographing cemeteries in Italy

Post by miller1969 »

Thanks for all the information. I don't understand why it would be illegal, especially if it's family graves you're taking photos of. But, illegal is illegal and I don't want to end up in an Italian jail.
Post Reply