In my searches I've come across a number of current street addresses in Agnone, IS, containing the word "Contrada." However, whenever I try to map those addresses they come back as "unobtainable."
I'm trying to narrow my search area and would like to know where some of these addresses are located in relation to my ancestors' home parishes. Is there anyone out there who can help me figure out how to locate any of the following roads in Agnone?
Contrada Montagna
Contrada San Quirico
Contrada Rigaini
Contrada Fontesambuco
Contrada San Onofrio
Thanks,
Beth
"Contrada" in addresses - Agnone, IS
- BillieDeKid
- Master

- Posts: 1207
- Joined: 29 Jul 2007, 00:00
- Location: Illinois
Re: "Contrada" in addresses - Agnone, IS
Hi Beth,
Contrada means "district" so I don't believe it's an actual street address. So it would be :
District of Montagna
District of San Quirico
etc.
Don't know if this helps or not.
Contrada means "district" so I don't believe it's an actual street address. So it would be :
District of Montagna
District of San Quirico
etc.
Don't know if this helps or not.
Re: "Contrada" in addresses - Agnone, IS
I thought about that too. However - and I forgot to mention this in the original post - the addresses are given with a street number in exactly the same format as any other street address. For example "Contrada Montagna, 63" and "Via Cavour, 6". I can map the Via Cavour address but not the Contrada Montagna address.
I also thought about the possibility that the Pagine Bianche site isn't equipped to deal with Contrada addresses and so puts them into a default format. However, in searching around I have found a couple of business listings elsewhere who give their addresses in the "Contrada Montagna, #" form.
Thanks,
Beth
I also thought about the possibility that the Pagine Bianche site isn't equipped to deal with Contrada addresses and so puts them into a default format. However, in searching around I have found a couple of business listings elsewhere who give their addresses in the "Contrada Montagna, #" form.
Thanks,
Beth
- Italysearcher
- Master

- Posts: 3470
- Joined: 06 Jan 2008, 19:58
- Location: Sora, Italy
- Contact:
Re: "Contrada" in addresses - Agnone, IS
In my area CONTRADA is usually a road and the word following designates the group of houses or section of the road that identifies the house. Contrada seems to have been used more outside the town and when the houses were not numbered.
Ann Tatangelo
http://angelresearch.net
Dual citizenship assistance, and document acquisition, on-site genealogical research in Lazio, Molise, Latina and Cosenza. Land record searches and succession.
http://angelresearch.net
Dual citizenship assistance, and document acquisition, on-site genealogical research in Lazio, Molise, Latina and Cosenza. Land record searches and succession.
