HELP...In Search of 3 family Surnames...

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
User avatar
Biff83
Master
Master
Posts: 4495
Joined: 02 Jan 2007, 00:00

Re: HELP...In Search of 3 family Surnames...

Post by Biff83 »

Hi, Valarie :D !

Great find on the 1899 manifest for Anna with siblings and mother.

Still trying to noodle out the name of the last residence.

Biff
"Mintammicce impizzu mpizzu ca pue largu minne fazzu sule!"
vj
Master
Master
Posts: 8066
Joined: 16 Aug 2002, 00:00

Re: HELP...In Search of 3 family Surnames...

Post by vj »

Paganussi/Paganuzzi

This is probably Sadie’s Naturalization Index Card
Note how she spelled her name, it could be the original
spelling or the ‘americanized’ version

From footnote
Index Card
vj
Master
Master
Posts: 8066
Joined: 16 Aug 2002, 00:00

Re: HELP...In Search of 3 family Surnames...

Post by vj »

Paganussi/Paganuzzi

Sadie’s Naturalization paperwork from footnote.com
Note: watch for witnesses names too :wink:

Declaration
Petition
Oath
vj
Master
Master
Posts: 8066
Joined: 16 Aug 2002, 00:00

Re: HELP...In Search of 3 family Surnames...

Post by vj »

Biff83 wrote:Hi, Valarie :D !

Great find on the 1899 manifest for Anna with siblings and mother.

Still trying to noodle out the name of the last residence.

Biff
It's a tough one Biff!
Maybe it's clearer on one of Serafina Cavagnaro's son's manifests
(before 1899?)
User avatar
Biff83
Master
Master
Posts: 4495
Joined: 02 Jan 2007, 00:00

Re: HELP...In Search of 3 family Surnames...

Post by Biff83 »

"The village of Minassi belongs to the municipality of Varsi, in the province of Parma, region Emilia-Romagna."
http://italia.indettaglio.it/eng/emilia ... nassi.html

A possibility or am I stretching it?

Biff
"Mintammicce impizzu mpizzu ca pue largu minne fazzu sule!"
User avatar
BillieDeKid
Master
Master
Posts: 1207
Joined: 29 Jul 2007, 00:00
Location: Illinois

Re: HELP...In Search of 3 family Surnames...

Post by BillieDeKid »

Hi Biff and VJ see if this fits for last residence.

Muravera, province: Cagliari - region: Sardegna
vj
Master
Master
Posts: 8066
Joined: 16 Aug 2002, 00:00

Re: HELP...In Search of 3 family Surnames...

Post by vj »

Biff83 wrote:"The village of Minassi belongs to the municipality of Varsi, in the province of Parma, region Emilia-Romagna."
http://italia.indettaglio.it/eng/emilia ... nassi.html

A possibility or am I stretching it?

Biff
Hey Biff & Elizabeth :D
Not necessarily a relative, but a clue to last residence on the 1899 manifest?
1903 Andrea Casazza

My guesses :wink: :
Villages near Varsi
Manini (5,32 km), Michelotti (8,26 km), Minassi (5,11 km)

If it is a village belonging to the comune of Varsi, won't the records
be in Varsi?
User avatar
stewey75
Rookie
Rookie
Posts: 95
Joined: 16 Jun 2008, 19:28

Re: HELP...In Search of 3 family Surnames...

Post by stewey75 »

The writing looks more like Muravera..I'll keep looking as well!
User avatar
Biff83
Master
Master
Posts: 4495
Joined: 02 Jan 2007, 00:00

Re: HELP...In Search of 3 family Surnames...

Post by Biff83 »

Per the Andrea Casazza manifest Valarie posted, the more I look at the 1899 manifest the more I'm seeing:
Moconesi, province of Genoa in the region of Liguria.

Even though Anna Maria Casazza and daughter Serafina's 1905 manifest showed last residence as Varsi that might not be where she, her mother and her siblings were born. She may have just returned there with her husband after they were married.

Biff
"Mintammicce impizzu mpizzu ca pue largu minne fazzu sule!"
User avatar
stewey75
Rookie
Rookie
Posts: 95
Joined: 16 Jun 2008, 19:28

Re: HELP...In Search of 3 family Surnames...

Post by stewey75 »

Biff: that could be right..I'm still a "rookie" when it comes to the regions but talking with my Dad this afternoon he said that his Grandmother (Anna) came from Genoa. I know that could be generic but I hope that helps.
vj
Master
Master
Posts: 8066
Joined: 16 Aug 2002, 00:00

Re: HELP...In Search of 3 family Surnames...

Post by vj »

Biff83 wrote:Per the Andrea Casazza manifest Valarie posted, the more I look at the 1899 manifest the more I'm seeing:
Moconesi, province of Genoa in the region of Liguria.

Even though Anna Maria Casazza and daughter Serafina's 1905 manifest showed last residence as Varsi that might not be where she, her mother and her siblings were born. She may have just returned there with her husband after they were married.

Biff
Hey Biff!
I think you're right :D .
Valarie
vj
Master
Master
Posts: 8066
Joined: 16 Aug 2002, 00:00

Re: HELP...In Search of 3 family Surnames...

Post by vj »

Short Location Summary:

SOLARI

1905 Passport Application
Quilico Solari
Born in Casarza (Casarza Ligure, Genoa, Liguria)

1906 Manifest
Quilico Solari
Born in Genoa

Quilico’s mother Maria Unknown
Born in Genoa
Last residence Casarza (Casarza Ligure, Genoa, Liguria)


PAGANUSSI/PAGANUZZI
CASASSA/CASAZZA
CAVAGNARO

1899 manifest
Antonio Casazza
Mother Serafina Cavagnaro
Daughter Maria Casazza
Daughter Anna Casazza
Last residence: best guess Moconesi, Genoa, Liguria

1905 manifest
Giovanni Paganuzzi
Last residence: Varsi (Varsi, Parma, Emilia Romagna)

1905 manifest
Maria (Anna) Casazza Paganuzzi
Last residence Varsi (Varsi, Parma, Emilia Romagna)
Daughter Serafina Paganuzzi

1910 daughter’s birth record
Giovanni Paganussi/Paganuzzi
Born in Palma (Parma?)
Anna Casassa
Born in Genoa

1926-9 naturalization paperwork
Sarafina Maria Paganuzzi/Paganussi
Born in Parma (Emilia Romagna)
User avatar
stewey75
Rookie
Rookie
Posts: 95
Joined: 16 Jun 2008, 19:28

Re: HELP...In Search of 3 family Surnames...

Post by stewey75 »

I found this on Ellis Island Records. Do you think this matches Anna Maria Paganuzzi?

First Name: Anna Maria
Last Name: Paganuzzi
Ethnicity: Italian
Last Place of Residence: Piacenza
Date of Arrival: Oct 10, 1897
Age at Arrival: 22y Gender: F Marital Status: S
Ship of Travel: La Bretagne
Port of Departure: Havre
Manifest Line Number: 0030
vj
Master
Master
Posts: 8066
Joined: 16 Aug 2002, 00:00

Re: HELP...In Search of 3 family Surnames...

Post by vj »

stewey75 wrote:I found this on Ellis Island Records. Do you think this matches Anna Maria Paganuzzi?

First Name: Anna Maria
Last Name: Paganuzzi
Ethnicity: Italian
Last Place of Residence: Piacenza
Date of Arrival: Oct 10, 1897
Age at Arrival: 22y Gender: F Marital Status: S
Ship of Travel: La Bretagne
Port of Departure: Havre
Manifest Line Number: 0030
We'll take a look.
Since this is before her marriage in 1904, it may not be your 'Anna'
but it could be a relative of Giovanni's?
Valarie

Appears to be 3 siblings joining an unnamed brother in NY
1897 manifest
User avatar
stewey75
Rookie
Rookie
Posts: 95
Joined: 16 Jun 2008, 19:28

Re: HELP...In Search of 3 family Surnames...

Post by stewey75 »

that is true..I did see the 1897 manifest you noted..When I saw destination was NY, I just figured that it was the same Anna Maria. I hope I'm not confusing things. :)
Post Reply