Searching for The Corneto Family

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
User avatar
misbris
Master
Master
Posts: 2258
Joined: 14 Jan 2007, 00:00
Location: NJ

Re: Searching for The Corneto Family

Post by misbris »

Ciao suanj, :lol:

I can't read the brother-in-law's name either, but take a look at the next two names. They are from Messina as well. Do you think all three are traveling together? This might be Letterio's sister and her husband.

Baci
User avatar
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.
Posts: 15251
Joined: 20 Feb 2003, 00:00
Location: Molise region, Italy
Contact:

Re: Searching for The Corneto Family

Post by suanj »

Yes me too have same idea... Montaperto surname... so I read... and you? kisses, suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
User avatar
misbris
Master
Master
Posts: 2258
Joined: 14 Jan 2007, 00:00
Location: NJ

Re: Searching for The Corneto Family

Post by misbris »

Right on, suanj!!!!

Checked the ship's list, Ellis Island has transcribed it as Montaperto also, Concetta and Giovanni.
corneto
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 17
Joined: 16 Jun 2008, 18:43
Contact:

Re: Searching for The Corneto Family

Post by corneto »

misbris wrote:Hey Anthony,

If you look at the ship's manifest I found, it says that Letterio came from Messina. Also, suanj is an expert on Italian names and localities. Believe me, if she says he was from Messina, he was from Messina. :wink:

The FHC has the records for Messina, but you cannot view them on line. :cry: You have to go to a Family History Center to order the microfilm. It costs approximately $6. per roll, take about 3 to 4 weeks to come in, and has to be viewed at the center. Use this link to find a center near you.
http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Library ... et_fhc.asp


You can request the birth certificate from Messina, but you must know the date of birth. That is why suanj suggested that you look for Letterio in the records. Both his first and last name are pretty rare, so you should be able to find him. Once you establish his birthdate you can send for birth records.

Also check other family records, to see if you can find out Frances's (probably Francesca) maiden name. If not, also look for Letterio's marriage record in the microfilm.
Hello to all. I wanted to update you on my search and ask a question. Since I was last here I have found a tremendous amount of important information thanks to everyone's advice. The most important item yet was a reply back with a copy of my great grandfathers naturalization papers from 1936. There was even a picture of him! Along with many missing details most importanly his date of birth and place of birth. They are all notorized and official so hopefully I can use them in my request for citizenship. The other items I have found and ordered will be here soon: his death certificate and his marriage certificate. The one thing I don't have is his birth certificate. I took your advice and went to the Mormon church and requested microfiche for his date of birth and they came in yesterday. I went to the church and found the records for the dates he provided on his naturalization papers:

Letterio Corneto
Born in Messina, Italy
Date of birth: May 17th, 1865
Entry into US from Naples, Italy to NYC, NY Jan 10th 1899 on the SS California

I found the records for Messina on this day and sadly there is no record of his birth. So I am at a dead end here. I was wondering if anyone had any advice from here? Do I hire someone in Italy to see if they could find it? Would they be able to do anything more than what I have done? Who would you guys recommend? You've all been so helpful that I would trust your judgement.

Thanks SO much for your help as always,

Anthony Corneto
User avatar
misbris
Master
Master
Posts: 2258
Joined: 14 Jan 2007, 00:00
Location: NJ

Re: Searching for The Corneto Family

Post by misbris »

Don't just check that one date. His memory could have been off by days, months or even years. I know it can be time consuming, but you should check all the 1860's to be sure. You might even find a sibling.
corneto
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 17
Joined: 16 Jun 2008, 18:43
Contact:

Re: Searching for The Corneto Family

Post by corneto »

I did look around that date a little but checking years wow! I would have to order all those years from the Mormons as well. I could be sitting at the Family History Center every night for weeks or months.
What about hiring someone in Italy? Would that be worth it in that they might be able to find it easier then me? Any advice on who to contact? There are lots of places that offer to find your ancestors birth certificate for a price but I would guess that many of them are not very honest practices.

Thanks,
Tony
User avatar
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.
Posts: 15251
Joined: 20 Feb 2003, 00:00
Location: Molise region, Italy
Contact:

Re: Searching for The Corneto Family

Post by suanj »

well, Letterio Corneto in the trip of 1900 declaring that he was already in USA... I found him ship's manifest of 1899, California ship,
http://img172.imageshack.us/img172/1517 ... 999qx8.gif final destination Boston, and joining at Letterio Casale uncle; as last residence is Messina; birthyear 1865..
First Name: Cozneto ( surname)
Last Name: Letterio ( first name)
Ethnicity: Italian
Last Place of Residence: Metfuis (Messina)
Date of Arrival: Jan 11, 1899
Age at Arrival: 26y ( not: 34 as wrote in the ship's manifest; tailor profession)
Gender: M Marital Status: M
Ship of Travel: California (1872)
Port of Departure: Naples

Manifest Line Number: 0024
regards, suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
corneto
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 17
Joined: 16 Jun 2008, 18:43
Contact:

Re: Searching for The Corneto Family

Post by corneto »

suanj wrote:well, Letterio Corneto in the trip of 1900 declaring that he was already in USA... I found him ship's manifest of 1899, California ship,
http://img172.imageshack.us/img172/1517 ... 999qx8.gif final destination Boston, and joining at Letterio Casale uncle; as last residence is Messina; birthyear 1865..
First Name: Cozneto ( surname)
Last Name: Letterio ( first name)
Ethnicity: Italian
Last Place of Residence: Metfuis (Messina)
Date of Arrival: Jan 11, 1899
Age at Arrival: 26y ( not: 34 as wrote in the ship's manifest; tailor profession)
Gender: M Marital Status: M
Ship of Travel: California (1872)
Port of Departure: Naples

Manifest Line Number: 0024
regards, suanj
Suanj,

You continue to amaze me with your talents and skill in genealogy. Thank you so much.
Would you consider allowing me to hire you to find my great grandfathers birth certificate? You are so well known and respected in this forum I feel like I could trust you. Please let me know,

Thank you,
Anthony Corneto
User avatar
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.
Posts: 15251
Joined: 20 Feb 2003, 00:00
Location: Molise region, Italy
Contact:

Re: Searching for The Corneto Family

Post by suanj »

Hi Anthony, before of anything we must descover more.... because Messina is listed as last residence, maybe also birthplace.... it could be Messina town or some common in Messina province... and so we must descover more.... it is the possibility by italian military enlistment, but for a Messina Archive request, the archivist wish of know the birth common... (!) In the travel of 1900, Letterio was in travel with Concetta sister, married at Giovanni Montaperto... you knew some thing abt this family? I cannot find it in 1910 census....

I found a 1910 census about a possible Corneto in Brooklyn, and some data matching.... Gaetano son, had as second firstname Tommy? Let me know...

more: in the travel of 1899, Letterio joining at Letterio Casale uncle... I believe that this Letterio Casale changed the first name in Louis... he was born in 1849 and decesead in 1900 after census compilation, I'm sure by data online;
death: Casale Letterio Boston 1900 507 169
census:
1900 United States Federal Census about Louis Casale
Name: Louis Casale
Home in 1900: Boston Ward 6, Suffolk, Massachusetts
Age: 51
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1849
Birthplace: Italy
Relationship to head-of-house: Head
Race: White
Occupation: View Image

Immigration Year: 1872
Neighbors: View others on page

Household Members: Name Age
Louis Casale
51
Lawrence Casale
25
Louisa Casale
15
John Casale
13

now my goal is to find Francis Corneto arrival... she must arrived between 1904/5...because Gaetano Corneto born in the 6 April 1906, so Francis was in USA almost 9 months before.... I know not the Francis birth surname... you know? maybe from ship's manifest of Francis we can know right birthplace....
let me know your suggestions, regards, suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
corneto
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 17
Joined: 16 Jun 2008, 18:43
Contact:

Re: Searching for The Corneto Family

Post by corneto »

Raffaella (suanj),

Here is some more information for you. I’ve also scanned the official documents I’ve found so far. I emailed them to you at suanj_it@yahoo.it

• Letterio stated his place of Birth in many places as Messina. This was stated on his naturalization record, two ship manifests, his Ellis Island entry papers and his death certificate.
• I don’t know anything about Concetta the sister of Letterio
• Gaetano had 6 sons:
Leonard, 1925
Thomas, 1927
George, 1935
Richard and Albert were twins, 1937
Walter, 1941
• Frances Corneto facts I got from Letterios Naturalization record:
Married on September 25, 1905
Born in Naples, Italy on October 2nd, 1863
Entered the US in NY in November, 1902
• Francis Corneto facts I got from her death certificate:
Name of Father: Louis Benedoeto (not sure on the spelling)
Name of Mother: Thomasene Ingela (not sure on the spelling)

Thanks!
Anthony Corneto
User avatar
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.
Posts: 15251
Joined: 20 Feb 2003, 00:00
Location: Molise region, Italy
Contact:

Re: Searching for The Corneto Family

Post by suanj »

Yes Anthony, I receveid it...
well I understand that you found not Letterio Corneto birthact... in the microfilms, but better to write directly in Messina common asking the birthact... I found a 1910 census and I believe is abt your Letterio... the first name is Jim and the surname as Carnito, but all other data matching... and in the family was also a Olympia Bened.... niece of Francis, so I'm sure that is letterio 1910 census...

http://img144.imageshack.us/img144/845/ ... etots0.jpg

in the microfilms is possible that some registry lacking ...
the surname in naturalization is Cornetto... but frankly it is hard to understand the right italian spelling... however if you wish I can prepare the italian txt for Messina common...let me know, regards, suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
corneto
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 17
Joined: 16 Jun 2008, 18:43
Contact:

Re: Searching for The Corneto Family

Post by corneto »

Suanj,

Thank you as always. It's amazing what you can find. Yes if you could prepare the text and tell me where to mail it I would be very greatful.

Thanks,
Anthony
User avatar
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.
Posts: 15251
Joined: 20 Feb 2003, 00:00
Location: Molise region, Italy
Contact:

Re: Searching for The Corneto Family

Post by suanj »

Dott. Carmelo Altomonte
Servizi Demografici
Palazzo Zanca - P.zza Unione Europea
98122 Messina (ME)
ITALY

carmelo.altomonte @ comune.messina.it (NO SPACES)

Oggetto: richiesta Estratto atto di nascita-Modello Plurilingue

Gent.mo Dott. Carmelo Altomonte,

mi chiamo………… (your name) e sono cittadino statunitense di origini italiane.
Con la presente –a fini genealogia familiare- cortesemente richiedo quanto in oggetto, relativamente al mio antenato emigrato nel 1899:

-CORNETO Letterio figlio di Gaetano nato a Messina il 17 Maggio 1865.

Il cognome Corneto è la versione americana dell’originale italiano, che non conosco, ma dovrebbe essere simile. Egli fece due viaggi di emigrazione ed in entrame le liste di sbarco il cognome risulta Corneto, ma posso capire che possa essere lievemente differente.
Altresì su tutti i documenti statunitensi la data di nascita è quella succitata, e le invio copia del documento di Dichiarazione di Intenzioni per la naturalizzazione ( please to insert the image 433).

Ringraziando per la cortese attenzione, in attesa di riscontro alla presente, è gradita l’occasione per porgere i più distinti saluti,
……………your name
………………..your address
………….your email
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
corneto
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 17
Joined: 16 Jun 2008, 18:43
Contact:

Re: Searching for The Corneto Family

Post by corneto »

Thank you suanj!
User avatar
francostrangio
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 2
Joined: 23 Jul 2008, 03:35

Re: Searching for The Corneto Family

Post by francostrangio »

My grandfather was duke Giovanni Montaperto, Montaperto is a very ancient siciloian family that has roots back to the beginning of the 11th century. My grandfather married my grandmum simonetta corsini between the 40's and the 50's.
I am trying to get some info on my grandfather and his family as he was always very cagey about his past, he always told my mum and uncle to never ask about sicily and his past, he also said that if they went to sicily they'd get killed.
didi you guys discover anything about giovanni montaperto?
do you know how i can get more info?
thanks
Post Reply