WWI research

General Non-Genealogy Discussions.
Ask questions, chat and talk about anything.
Post Reply
User avatar
Debid76
Rookie
Rookie
Posts: 51
Joined: 10 Apr 2008, 03:22

WWI research

Post by Debid76 »

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone has done any research on WWI and the Italian Army. Know of any good websites??? Books???

I am wanting to look into my great-grandfather's service during WWI and want to see of I can find out info regarding their units... where they fought, etc.

Any ideas, suggestions are much appreciated!!

Thank you,

Deb
PeterTimber
Master
Master
Posts: 6811
Joined: 16 Dec 2007, 18:57
Location: Yonkers NY

Re: WWI research

Post by PeterTimber »

Your fathers army records are available in the provincial offices from where he was conscripted. Request his discharge Records (foglio di Congedo illimitato) which contains biographical, physical descruiption, vocation and education. They also give information regarding the date and place of draft length of service, transfers, campaigns, medals and wounds.
Please advise. =Peter=
MauroMags
Veteran
Veteran
Posts: 112
Joined: 07 Oct 2005, 00:00
Location: New Jersey

Re: WWI research

Post by MauroMags »

Hi Peter

Is the document you refer to (foglio di Congedo illimitato) much different than the (foglio matricolare)? Or are they the same document?

thank you,
Mauro
User avatar
Debid76
Rookie
Rookie
Posts: 51
Joined: 10 Apr 2008, 03:22

Re: WWI research

Post by Debid76 »

Peter,

Thank you for your advice. I looked through my papers and found I do have those for both my great-grandfathers.

http://img401.imageshack.us/img401/756/ ... erskk8.jpg
http://img401.imageshack.us/img401/479/ ... rs2yq2.jpg

I have not had them translated, so do not know how much information they provide. I have tried before to look up their regiments on the computer to see what I could find out, but really wasn't getting anywhere.

So, I was wondering if anyone else has gone in that direction and if they found any good sources in their research.

Thank you,

Deb :D
nuccia
Staff
Staff
Posts: 4606
Joined: 20 Nov 2005, 00:00
Location: Toronto, Canada
Contact:

Re: WWI research

Post by nuccia »

Contact member Biff who is amazing finding out about War information. He helped me out about a year ago.

As a side note...those document are pretty old so perhaps you may want to have them preserved to keep them from deteriorating any further. Use archival paper which can be found at many office supply stores and maybe art shops.
nuccia - IG Moderator
Italian Surname Database
Image
PeterTimber
Master
Master
Posts: 6811
Joined: 16 Dec 2007, 18:57
Location: Yonkers NY

Re: WWI research

Post by PeterTimber »

The registro di foglie matricolare (draftee resume of service record) includes details of the mans military service,including such items as promotions. This registro appears to be more of a resume that a factual compilation that the Foglio di Congedo illimitato(Discharge Records) would contain. =Peter=
PeterTimber
Master
Master
Posts: 6811
Joined: 16 Dec 2007, 18:57
Location: Yonkers NY

Re: WWI research

Post by PeterTimber »

You might wish to e-mail The Italian Army central document office at cedoc_roma@esercito.difesa.it and ask them for an english version source for your inquiry and/or write to the Biblioteca Miltare Centrale, Uffico Storico, Via XX Setttembre 00192, Roma, Italy.

You might wish to go to www.mangeruca.com if you wish a form letter to assist you in your inquiry to the military library since it is tailored for milityary document requests. =Peter=
User avatar
Debid76
Rookie
Rookie
Posts: 51
Joined: 10 Apr 2008, 03:22

Re: WWI research

Post by Debid76 »

Peter & Nuccia,

Thank you both for your responses and advice!! :D

Deb
Post Reply