Need a look up in New York

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
User avatar
anjgi
Rookie
Rookie
Posts: 31
Joined: 10 Nov 2008, 12:29

Re: Need a look up in New York

Post by anjgi »

I have found a Luigi Carotonuto (slightly different spelling) who is described in the Ellis Island records as a Confectioner, age 23 arrived 27 Feb 1893 on the Cheribon from Naples. This man could be the Luigi I am looking for but without further info on him I can't tell.

I have info that the Luigi, who was the father of Gaetanno and Giuseppina was an ice cream vendor/storekeeper. This might fit with the 'confectioner' description.
PeterTimber
Master
Master
Posts: 6811
Joined: 16 Dec 2007, 18:57
Location: Yonkers NY

Re: Need a look up in New York

Post by PeterTimber »

There is something wrong wioth the seplling even though the manifest clearly shows Carotonuto. There is no other record for the surname as spelledin NYC or anywhere else inthe USA including the social security death index. There is a Luisa Carotenuto in the Bronx but I await your comments. =Peter=
User avatar
anjgi
Rookie
Rookie
Posts: 31
Joined: 10 Nov 2008, 12:29

Re: Need a look up in New York

Post by anjgi »

I think, if this is the man I'm after, that he left the US and went to live first in Italy, then in the UK and ended his days in Belgium.

That might explain why there's no other mention of him anywhere. sometimes people didn't register their children. My partner's mother has no birth certificate. She wasn't registered. I know when she was born because it's her 90th birthday today and I've just been to see her!

I'd like to find a death certificate for his wife. But without a name I don't know who it might be or where.

Luisa might be a female?
PeterTimber
Master
Master
Posts: 6811
Joined: 16 Dec 2007, 18:57
Location: Yonkers NY

Re: Need a look up in New York

Post by PeterTimber »

That is a female name. =Peter=
User avatar
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.
Posts: 15251
Joined: 20 Feb 2003, 00:00
Location: Molise region, Italy
Contact:

Re: Need a look up in New York

Post by suanj »

anjgi wrote:I have found a Luigi Carotonuto (slightly different spelling) who is described in the Ellis Island records as a Confectioner, age 23 arrived 27 Feb 1893 on the Cheribon from Naples. This man could be the Luigi I am looking for but without further info on him I can't tell.

I have info that the Luigi, who was the father of Gaetanno and Giuseppina was an ice cream vendor/storekeeper. This might fit with the 'confectioner' description.
This Luigi mentioned coming from Ottaviano town no far from San Giuseppe Vesuviano town..
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
User avatar
anjgi
Rookie
Rookie
Posts: 31
Joined: 10 Nov 2008, 12:29

Re: Need a look up in New York

Post by anjgi »

This is much closer to where the family live today in San Giuseppe Vesuviano than Boscotrecase. I think this is him! Well, I hope this is him.
User avatar
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.
Posts: 15251
Joined: 20 Feb 2003, 00:00
Location: Molise region, Italy
Contact:

Re: Need a look up in New York

Post by suanj »

but when you started the topic, saying that you was searching Luigi Carotenuto married at Carmela and all name children and also death record of Raffaele Carotenuto died in 1953;all coming from Boscotrecase.... now this new record.... 8O !!!
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
User avatar
anjgi
Rookie
Rookie
Posts: 31
Joined: 10 Nov 2008, 12:29

Re: Need a look up in New York

Post by anjgi »

The person I was looking for was Gaetano Carotenuto, who I knew to have a sister called Giuseppina. I knew that his father was named Luigi Carotenuto because I have Gaetano's marriage certificate and he names his father as Luigi.

Luigi married to Carmela was, at the time, the best candidate for being his father. They lived in the area. They went to Brooklyn. They went back to Italy. It all appeared to fit. I needed more information on them to be able to say positively that this was the Luigi I was looking for.

You found me that information - many thanks for that - but Gaetano and Guiseppina were not amongst their children and, on the face of it, looked as if they were not their children after all.

I continued to search for the 'right' Luigi - and believe that the best candidate now is this new Luigi Carotenuto who came from Ottaviano, which is very very close to San Guiseppe Vesuviano, where the family live today.

I have found a Luigi Carotenuto's marriage record in London in 1917 to a Congetta Di Mascio (we know he was married several times) and when I have applied for the certificate I will be able to say what his father's name was.

Hope this makes sense.
User avatar
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.
Posts: 15251
Joined: 20 Feb 2003, 00:00
Location: Molise region, Italy
Contact:

Re: Need a look up in New York

Post by suanj »

ah ok, so Concetta Di Mascio was the wife in UK? and the mother of Gaetano, what was her name??? so you supposed that Luigi Carotenuto was your ancestor, but you are not sure... and because nobody Gaetano and Giuseppina are on the 1900 census( just they must be if born in 1898!!! right??) you are not sure abt the right Luigi Carotenuto...
Well, for Luigi Carotenuto coming from Boscotrecase and family we have found all possible, because from ship's manifest we know the family members.. and all is right, but you are searching not more this but a Luigi Carotenuto that had 2 twins born in New York: Gaetano and Carolina.. I'm sorry that I cannot find this births in NYC database... hoping more luck!
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
User avatar
anjgi
Rookie
Rookie
Posts: 31
Joined: 10 Nov 2008, 12:29

Re: Need a look up in New York

Post by anjgi »

Yes. Gaetano and Guiseppina born in New York (or so they always said) in 1898. They were taken to Italy when they were babies and brought up by their Aunt. I do not know who their mother was, but we do know she died when they were babies. Their father married at least once, possibly twice more.

Gaetano and Guiseppina births may not have been registered. it is more likely that their mother's death was recorded, if in New York but i do not know her name. She may have died in childbirth but it is more likely that she died a year or so later. Unable to cope with the children, Luigi took them back to Italy.

It's a mystery
User avatar
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.
Posts: 15251
Joined: 20 Feb 2003, 00:00
Location: Molise region, Italy
Contact:

Re: Need a look up in New York

Post by suanj »

this is another Luigi Carotenuto with 2 children born in NYC, but they are no thwins:
1900 United States Federal Census
about Louie Cardenudo
Name: Louie Cardenudo
[Louie Cardenndo]
Home in 1900: Brooklyn Ward 26, Kings, New York
Age: 32
Birth Date: Jan 1868
Birthplace: Italy
Race: White
Ethnicity: American
Immigration Year: 1893

Relationship to head-of-house: Head
Father's Birthplace: Italy
Mother's Birthplace: Italy
Spouse's Name: Rosie
Marriage Year: 1892
Marital Status: Married
Years Married: 8
Residence : New York City, Kings, New York
Occupation: View Image
Neighbors: View others on page
Household Members: Name Age
Louie Cardenudo 32
Rosie Cardenudo 27
Josie Cardenudo 5
Thomas Cardenudo 2

Charley Destefno 35
Joseph Destefno 30
Alfred Julian 18
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
User avatar
anjgi
Rookie
Rookie
Posts: 31
Joined: 10 Nov 2008, 12:29

Re: Need a look up in New York

Post by anjgi »

Now this is an interesting family. Two children, both born in New York. Josie could be the Anglicised version of Giuseppina as in the UK she was always called Jessie. Thomas though... no way can you make Gaetano into Thomas. The others in the house... they were also Italians but also had Anglicised first names. This makes me think that either the census taker 'translated' everyone to an English name or that whoever stood on the doorstep giving the information called everyone by English names.
User avatar
anjgi
Rookie
Rookie
Posts: 31
Joined: 10 Nov 2008, 12:29

Re: Need a look up in New York

Post by anjgi »

Do you think I could look at the original page for that Luigi? You gave me a link to the other one that was very useful. If I could look at this new Luigi I could check out other stuff on the page.
thanks
User avatar
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.
Posts: 15251
Joined: 20 Feb 2003, 00:00
Location: Molise region, Italy
Contact:

Re: Need a look up in New York

Post by suanj »

suanj wrote:this is another Luigi Carotenuto with 2 children born in NYC, but they are no thwins:
1900 United States Federal Census
about Louie Cardenudo
Name: Louie Cardenudo
[Louie Cardenndo]
Home in 1900: Brooklyn Ward 26, Kings, New York
Age: 32
Birth Date: Jan 1868
Birthplace: Italy
Race: White
Ethnicity: American
Immigration Year: 1893

Relationship to head-of-house: Head
Father's Birthplace: Italy
Mother's Birthplace: Italy
Spouse's Name: Rosie
Marriage Year: 1892
Marital Status: Married
Years Married: 8
Residence : New York City, Kings, New York
Occupation: View Image
Neighbors: View others on page
Household Members: Name Age
Louie Cardenudo 32
Rosie Cardenudo 27
Josie Cardenudo 5
Thomas Cardenudo 2

Charley Destefno 35
Joseph Destefno 30
Alfred Julian 18
here the link... sometimes I found the Gaetano first name changed in thomas also... by month and birthyear you can know if they are the same of your ancestors...

http://img239.imageshack.us/my.php?imag ... igifx9.jpg
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
User avatar
anjgi
Rookie
Rookie
Posts: 31
Joined: 10 Nov 2008, 12:29

Re: Need a look up in New York

Post by anjgi »

thank you for that. It answers some questions.
firstly I should tell you that I've just had a conversation with Netta - my partner's sister (it is my partner's family) and Gaetano was often called Tom or tommie by relatives. He was known as Tonino when he was little. Fits with the Thomas name.

Also, the enumerator (the man who went round writing everything down in 1900) couldn't even spell Italy. He spelled it as Itlay down the entire page. So it is no wonder he got names mixed up!

amazingly, in this house at 272 Elton Street there were at least six families (may be more on next page) comprising at least 29 people. Cramped living!

I think this is the right family. I'm off to check ellis island records for the wife's entry. I notice that quite often the wives gave their maiden names but then referred to their husband's name in another section.

thanks again
Angela
Post Reply