Where Do I Look

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
vj
Master
Master
Posts: 8066
Joined: 16 Aug 2002, 00:00

Re: Where Do I Look

Post by vj »

BlackHeartNY wrote: Wow, wOw, Wow! That's wild! This record is THE closest I've come to any ship's manifest! May I ask you where you found this one? I have searched ellisisland.org but never saw this one! :D
It is a really neat record isn't it :D .
I found it on ancestry. com using a partial name search:

ann* bar*
born 1883 +/- 2yrs
immig 1911 +/- 1 yr

Got lucky on the 1st try

Valarie
User avatar
BlackHeartNY
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 16
Joined: 10 Jan 2009, 22:26
Location: Arizona

Re: Where Do I Look

Post by BlackHeartNY »

vj wrote:Alfonso’s probable manifest

Feb 1912
page 2

2 Feb 1912 SS Germania, Marseilles to NY
Line 22
Alfonso Femmiani 22
- married
-mason
- last residence Nocera Inferiore
- in Nocera Inferiore, wife Anna
- destination Brooklyn
- joining uncle Antonio Coppola
- born in Nocera Inferiore
I've had this manifest saved on ellisisland.org for a long time. I now believe that THIS manifest is the CORRECT one, although I still have a problem with the spelling of the last name on this manifest. The places all match (along with Anna "Barba" and "Raffaele Fimiani"), but the name just doesn't match. Although on Anna Barba's ship's manifest it says that she was coming to be with her husband, "Alfonso Fimiani." :D I'm really very happy to know now that I am a FIMIANI!

Now, how do I dig back to Italy and find those ancestors?

PS: You guys are great! I appreciate your help.
User avatar
Essgee
Master
Master
Posts: 777
Joined: 12 Mar 2004, 00:00
Contact:

Re: Where Do I Look

Post by Essgee »

Great job vj! I stopped to watch Hellboy II and you found all the family secrets!

BlackHeart...the names from Nocera Inferiore are Fimiani and Barbera, Barbaria or Barba...so the original spelling might be one of these. You will have to write to the comune to get the records. While some city records are on microfilm, this city has not yet been filmed and the only way to obtain the info is to write to the comune. The postal code is Nocera Inferiore, Salerno (SA), Campania, 84014.

Good luck and enjoy the journey! Thanks to vj, you are well on your way to getting the answers to your questions.
User avatar
BlackHeartNY
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 16
Joined: 10 Jan 2009, 22:26
Location: Arizona

Re: Where Do I Look

Post by BlackHeartNY »

Essgee wrote:Great job vj! I stopped to watch Hellboy II and you found all the family secrets!

BlackHeart...the names from Nocera Inferiore are Fimiani and Barbera, Barbaria or Barba...so the original spelling might be one of these. You will have to write to the comune to get the records. While some city records are on microfilm, this city has not yet been filmed and the only way to obtain the info is to write to the comune. The postal code is Nocera Inferiore, Salerno (SA), Campania, 84014.

Good luck and enjoy the journey! Thanks to vj, you are well on your way to getting the answers to your questions.
Essgee, or anyone else who would know, would I be able to use one of the following websites to write to them?

http://www.comune.nocera-inferiore.sa.it/it/

or

http://www.comuni.it/pbase/?IDcom=2784

And... WHO would I write to within the comune? I'm also assuming the letter or request would have to be in Italian - am I correct? - I'm a dead duck there, I can understand spoken Italian, but can't read or write it. What is it exactly that I could write to them about? Would there be birth certificates? Would I be able to find out about my GREAT Grandparents (such as birth dates/death dates/where buried)?

Thank you, thank you, thank you all! :D
User avatar
Essgee
Master
Master
Posts: 777
Joined: 12 Mar 2004, 00:00
Contact:

Re: Where Do I Look

Post by Essgee »

You write to the State Archive Official

Ufficio di Stato Civile
Comune di Nocera Inferiore
84014 Nocera Inferiore (SA)
Italia

Go to this web site:
http://www.angelfire.com/ok3/pearlsofwi ... tools.html

It has a lot of letters that you can copy and fill in your information.
Remember, a request for birth information is a request for a birth extract, not a birth certificate. If you ask for the certificate they give date of birth and the child's name...no more. The extract gives parents name and sometimes additional information.

I am not as familiar with writing as others here, so maybe they will step in and give more accurate information. You can do this, it may just take time! If you have a nearby library, look for Italian Genealogical Records by Trafford Cole or for Discovering you Italian Ancestors by Lynn Nelson. Both are terrific guides to the records and what can be found in them. (They are also available for purchase on line at various places.)

As for E-mail...others can let you know the success rate here.

Ask any questions you might have and someone here will be able to help.

Have a great evening......
wldspirit
Staff
Staff
Posts: 5606
Joined: 17 Nov 2004, 00:00
Location: U.S.A.
Contact:

Re: Where Do I Look

Post by wldspirit »

Added street to Essgee's info:

Ufficio di Stato Civile
Comune di Nocera Inferiore
Piazza Diaz
84014 Nocera Inferiore (SA)
Italia

Anna Russo is in charge of the Ufficiale Anagrafe and Stato Civile.

Telefono : 081 - 3235111
Fax : 081 - 3235279
E-mail : anagrafe@comune.nocera-inferiore.sa.it
Sito Web : http://www.comune.nocera-inferiore.sa.it

As for email, doesn't hurt to try, sometimes you get a response and sometimes you don't..... :wink:

wldspirit
___________________________

"Cambiano i suonatori ma la musica è sempre quella."
User avatar
BlackHeartNY
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 16
Joined: 10 Jan 2009, 22:26
Location: Arizona

Re: Where Do I Look

Post by BlackHeartNY »

Thank you both for the replies! LOL - funny thing is, "Anna Russo" is the name of my Maternal Grandmother!
Post Reply