Vaccaro in Avellino
Vaccaro in Avellino
I have a couple questions for which I hope someone can help.
First, I am trying to find my Great Grandfather's birth in Italy. His Petition for Naturalization in the states shows his birthplace as Avellino. I do not know if he is referring to the town of, the Province of or the area around Avellino. His name in Francesco Vaccaro born Oct 1, 1892. Has anyone come across the Vaccaro name specifically in Avellino in the 1890's?
Second, are church and/or civil birth, marriage and death records for the cities/towns/villages sent to a central location within the respective Province?
Thanks in advance.
First, I am trying to find my Great Grandfather's birth in Italy. His Petition for Naturalization in the states shows his birthplace as Avellino. I do not know if he is referring to the town of, the Province of or the area around Avellino. His name in Francesco Vaccaro born Oct 1, 1892. Has anyone come across the Vaccaro name specifically in Avellino in the 1890's?
Second, are church and/or civil birth, marriage and death records for the cities/towns/villages sent to a central location within the respective Province?
Thanks in advance.
-
PeterTimber
- Master

- Posts: 6811
- Joined: 16 Dec 2007, 18:57
- Location: Yonkers NY
Re: Vaccaro in Avellino
Chances are he was born in Avellino since records in Italy are in the city,town or village of origin whichis where the primary BMD records are archived. Duplicate copies are located inthe provincial offices as well and would be a source if these records were not available locally.
Currently there are no Vaccaro listed inthe city of Avellino. If you go to www.paginebianche.it website (Vaccaro first line and Avellino second line and click CERCA. If you want provincial listings then replace Avellino with AV for all 7 Vaccaro in the province of Avellino).
Go to http://www.angelfire.com/ok3/pearlsofwi ... tters.html for form letters to send to the City of Avellino for family birth.marriage or death rfecords. =Peter=
Currently there are no Vaccaro listed inthe city of Avellino. If you go to www.paginebianche.it website (Vaccaro first line and Avellino second line and click CERCA. If you want provincial listings then replace Avellino with AV for all 7 Vaccaro in the province of Avellino).
Go to http://www.angelfire.com/ok3/pearlsofwi ... tters.html for form letters to send to the City of Avellino for family birth.marriage or death rfecords. =Peter=
-
PeterTimber
- Master

- Posts: 6811
- Joined: 16 Dec 2007, 18:57
- Location: Yonkers NY
Re: Vaccaro in Avellino
...further to your e-mail, since you wish to expedite this matter perhaps you might wish to write an e-mail, in iTALIAN, to the Avellino provincial offices explaining that you wish to confirm that his birth is in the city of Avellino. The e-mail address is AS-AV@beniculturali.it
Since you are sending a letter to Avellino you should send along form letters to each of the other towns just in case to cover your butt. The website www.nonsolocap.it will give you the current location of these other towns.
I don't wish you to get bogged down so this should set the parameters of your research once the replies come back. The e-mail response should be helpful since they MAY just come up with the town if it is other than the comune of Avellino.
Go to www.angelfire.com/ok3/pearlsofwisdom/saviello2.html which will direct your efforts. =Peter=
Since you are sending a letter to Avellino you should send along form letters to each of the other towns just in case to cover your butt. The website www.nonsolocap.it will give you the current location of these other towns.
I don't wish you to get bogged down so this should set the parameters of your research once the replies come back. The e-mail response should be helpful since they MAY just come up with the town if it is other than the comune of Avellino.
Go to www.angelfire.com/ok3/pearlsofwisdom/saviello2.html which will direct your efforts. =Peter=
Re: Vaccaro in Avellino
Thank you very much Peter. I will proceed as suggested and keep my fingers crossed. Ideally, it would be great to actually visit the provincial archives.
-
PeterTimber
- Master

- Posts: 6811
- Joined: 16 Dec 2007, 18:57
- Location: Yonkers NY
Re: Vaccaro in Avellino
They are pretty good at checking records and if they come back negative then you can also check for any military records from the military district archives in Avellino which is also at the provincial archive level. =Peter=
Re: Vaccaro in Avellino
I've already written the email to the Avellino provincial archives. It is being translated into Italian as we speak.
Regarding the form letters to the various communes you suggested in your jan 6 post, should I send them after I receive a response back to my email to the archives or concurrently?
To clarify...I should send the communes letters and not email? Also, I understand you to say that those are to request specifically the death extract.
Have you been to any off the provincial archives? My mouth is watering thinking about what a day at one could be like for finding records. Of course, the Italian would be challenging.
Did the Italians document departures and arrivals?
Regarding the form letters to the various communes you suggested in your jan 6 post, should I send them after I receive a response back to my email to the archives or concurrently?
To clarify...I should send the communes letters and not email? Also, I understand you to say that those are to request specifically the death extract.
Have you been to any off the provincial archives? My mouth is watering thinking about what a day at one could be like for finding records. Of course, the Italian would be challenging.
Did the Italians document departures and arrivals?
-
PeterTimber
- Master

- Posts: 6811
- Joined: 16 Dec 2007, 18:57
- Location: Yonkers NY
Re: Vaccaro in Avellino
I said Birth marriage or death records or BMD not just death records.
Sending the letters or waiting for Archivio di Stato Prfovincial reply is up to you. You have nothing to lose either way since you can forward the letters anytime.
Each individuals shipping company maintained its own passenger lists and most have been lost or destroyed. The receiving nation (our ellisisland.org website) is more likely to keep track as well as Argentina and Brazil.
If an alien returns to his town of origin the local census (anagrafe) office may pick him up upon his return as a result of his reintevgrating himself into community life. =Peter=
Sending the letters or waiting for Archivio di Stato Prfovincial reply is up to you. You have nothing to lose either way since you can forward the letters anytime.
Each individuals shipping company maintained its own passenger lists and most have been lost or destroyed. The receiving nation (our ellisisland.org website) is more likely to keep track as well as Argentina and Brazil.
If an alien returns to his town of origin the local census (anagrafe) office may pick him up upon his return as a result of his reintevgrating himself into community life. =Peter=
Re: Vaccaro in Avellino
You could do either or BUT I should mention that I have have both success and failure with email. I sent one request out months ago by email and when I didn't receive anything back, Riccardo called them for me. They told him they had never received my email and so I had to re send the request using the regular method..(actually I had Riccardo do it for me). Because of his experience, he was able to get a contact name that he could follow up on the request. This is not the first time I have had to ask for his assistance!Regarding the form letters to the various communes you suggested in your jan 6 post, should I send them after I receive a response back to my email to the archives or concurrently?
Another option would be faxing the request. Again, it always helps, when needed to have someone (yourself if you are able) to follow up on the request if you don't here from them with in a reasonable amount of time.
Just my two cents...
-
PeterTimber
- Master

- Posts: 6811
- Joined: 16 Dec 2007, 18:57
- Location: Yonkers NY
Re: Vaccaro in Avellino
Dear Nuccia et al I just received an e-mail back from the Central office for the Archivio Centrale dello Stato for all of Italy and I had asked them whether the provincial offices of the Archivio dello Stato would consider checking their records with just a name and birthdate WITHOUT KNOWING THE PLACE OF BIRTH when searching for the "Foglio Matricolare di un militare" (military records) at the provincial military district office.
Their response to this is that it is NECESSARY TO KNOW THE PLACE OF BIRTH IN ADDITION TO NAME AND DATE OF BIRTH.
I had wondered if they would consider doing a name check with birthdate only for provincial military records search if the place of birth is unknown.
Just thought I would pass this along. =Peter=
Their response to this is that it is NECESSARY TO KNOW THE PLACE OF BIRTH IN ADDITION TO NAME AND DATE OF BIRTH.
I had wondered if they would consider doing a name check with birthdate only for provincial military records search if the place of birth is unknown.
Just thought I would pass this along. =Peter=
Re: Vaccaro in Avellino
Thanks Peter. Its always good to know. 
Hugs
Hugs
Re: Vaccaro in Avellino
Would someone who has done research there be able to give me an idea of what to expect if I was to go to the "archivio di stato" in person.
Would my not speaking Italian make it very difficult?
Are records (i.e. bmd's, conscription, notary, census, assessments) indexed in a way they can be reviewed?
In the Cole book I read " that most allow consultation of only three volumes of documents per day". Is this accurate in your experience?
Any other insight into the state archives would be appreciated.
Would my not speaking Italian make it very difficult?
Are records (i.e. bmd's, conscription, notary, census, assessments) indexed in a way they can be reviewed?
In the Cole book I read " that most allow consultation of only three volumes of documents per day". Is this accurate in your experience?
Any other insight into the state archives would be appreciated.
-
PeterTimber
- Master

- Posts: 6811
- Joined: 16 Dec 2007, 18:57
- Location: Yonkers NY
Re: Vaccaro in Avellino
why not write or e-mail the director or directrss of the archivio and ask her whether she will permit you to research provincial records for the town or village you are talking about. You can either send it in english ( it is the official secondary language in Italy) or have it translated. They should have a public "readingroom" in their offices.
I assume you have their address and name of the director/directress. =Peter=
I assume you have their address and name of the director/directress. =Peter=
- Italysearcher
- Master

- Posts: 3470
- Joined: 06 Jan 2008, 19:58
- Location: Sora, Italy
- Contact:
Re: Vaccaro in Avellino
The Provincial archives in Frosinone are one of the few places that do not take a 3 hour 'siesta' (amazing). The staff there do not speak English but are very helpful in locating records. They have copies of the records microfilmed by the LDS as well as the originals. I have never had any restrictions placed on the number of documents I needed to view and they will take photocopies cheaper than if you ask to take a digital photo!
The archives in the towns are altogether another story!
The archives in the towns are altogether another story!
Ann Tatangelo
http://angelresearch.net
Dual citizenship assistance, and document acquisition, on-site genealogical research in Lazio, Molise, Latina and Cosenza. Land record searches and succession.
http://angelresearch.net
Dual citizenship assistance, and document acquisition, on-site genealogical research in Lazio, Molise, Latina and Cosenza. Land record searches and succession.
Re: Vaccaro in Avellino
One of my focuses right now is to find my Great Grandfather's birth extract.
Yes, it may be the only thing holding me up from submitting my application for Citizenship.
After sending my letters and emails to Italy my process for finding that record may take me to the archives.
While I know my Great Great Grandmother's town (Montemiletto, Avellino) my Great Grandfather's is still in question. As I previously said I believe him to be from Avellino Province but don't know from which commune. His Application for Naturalization says he was born in Avellino. I did not see his birth record on the LDS microfilm in the commune of Avellino.
At the Archives would I be able to search across the Province records by family name or would I have to go one commune at a time while at the Archives??
Hopefully, the email I sent to the Archives will yield a response to which commune he was born.
Yes, it may be the only thing holding me up from submitting my application for Citizenship.
After sending my letters and emails to Italy my process for finding that record may take me to the archives.
While I know my Great Great Grandmother's town (Montemiletto, Avellino) my Great Grandfather's is still in question. As I previously said I believe him to be from Avellino Province but don't know from which commune. His Application for Naturalization says he was born in Avellino. I did not see his birth record on the LDS microfilm in the commune of Avellino.
At the Archives would I be able to search across the Province records by family name or would I have to go one commune at a time while at the Archives??
Hopefully, the email I sent to the Archives will yield a response to which commune he was born.
-
PeterTimber
- Master

- Posts: 6811
- Joined: 16 Dec 2007, 18:57
- Location: Yonkers NY
Re: Vaccaro in Avellino
I recently asked a similar questionof the central office for Archivio di Stato for all Italy since often a town of origin is unknown and that military records would provide that information but their response to me was that you will need to know the town of origin before you can review any of their military records...so no name search without knowing the town of origin and this from their Rome HQs. =Peter=
~Peter~


