Fopeano heritage

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
vj
Master
Master
Posts: 8066
Joined: 16 Aug 2002, 00:00

Re: Fopeano heritage

Post by vj »

If you don’t have your family’s cemetery information, this may help

(from a google search +Elk +County +Italian)


Elk County Genealogy Project
Fox Township
by Sherry Jesberger
The St. Boniface Catholic Church also has two cemeteries associated with it. One, very small, is on the Old Kersey or Irishtown Road. It is known as St. Michael’s Cemetery. The only marked grave in this cemetery is that of Arthur McQuown, who passed away in 1847 at the age of 62 years. Elizabeth Mead, who died in 1847, also requested to be buried here. She was not a Catholic, but had donated the land to the church for a cemetery. Her grave is unmarked. The St. Boniface Catholic Church on Main Street in Kersey has a large, beautiful, shady cemetery stretching out behind it. Here lie the remains of many of the Italian and Irish immigrants to Fox Township. Some of the Irish names include: A’hern, Callahan, Collins, Hayes, Sheeley, Largey, McMackin, and many others. Some of the Italian names are: Agosti, Armanini, Boitano, Copella, Mosier, Caimi,Capuccini, and many others, too numerous to mention.
nuccia
Staff
Staff
Posts: 4606
Joined: 20 Nov 2005, 00:00
Location: Toronto, Canada
Contact:

Re: Fopeano heritage

Post by nuccia »

vj wrote:K
In addition to checking with your library as wldspirit suggested, I sent you a PM with a list of free sites that may help.
I get HeritageQuest at home from my local library - it has a pretty neat search engine.
Valarie
VJ,

Why didn't you post the links here so that everyone might benefit from them? I know I would be interested in having having a look as I am sure others may also feel the same. :?
nuccia - IG Moderator
Italian Surname Database
Image
vj
Master
Master
Posts: 8066
Joined: 16 Aug 2002, 00:00

Re: Fopeano heritage

Post by vj »

Here's the list of free sites that I mentioned earlier in the post
I will also post it under the header "We don't only do Italian Genealogy"
http://italiangenealogy.tardio.com/Foru ... 11409.html
so other forum members can add their favorite free links if they wish
Valarie

There are a number of ‘lists’ of genealogy research sites on the internet
Here are a few that may help
Some of these links may require copying and posting onto your address bar
If you run into a site that is subscription only, let us know.
Many of us have subscriptions that may help.


FamilySearch
http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/default.asp

FamilySearch Labs (requires one time registration)
http://labs.familysearch.org/

Google Web Search can be surprising
http://www.google.com/intl/en/options/
+surname (no space after the +) +location
Also check Google News, Google News Archives and Google Books

GenWeb Master Search
http://www.usgwarchives.net/search/sear ... m=extended

Vital Records:
http://www.deathindexes.com/

Immigration
Steve Morse’s gold form for Ellis Island (requires one time registration):
http://www.jewishgen.org/databases/EIDB/ellisgold.html

Also, Castle Garden passengers.
http://www.stevemorse.org/ellis/cg.html

Naturalization:
http://home.att.net/~wee-monster/naturalization.html

Cemeteries:
http://userdb.rootsweb.ancestry.com/cemeteries/
http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi
http://www.interment.net/

Message Boards:
http://boards.rootsweb.com/
http://genforum.genealogy.com/

Family Trees (but so many don’t have source info…)
http://wc.rootsweb.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi

Favorite General Site:
http://www.cyndislist.com/

Family Tree Magazine Top Ranked Sites:
http://www.familytreemagazine.com/101sites/2007/

edit to fix broken links
wldspirit
Staff
Staff
Posts: 5606
Joined: 17 Nov 2004, 00:00
Location: U.S.A.
Contact:

Re: Fopeano heritage

Post by wldspirit »

It also allows for others who may be researching in the future the chance to explore new options they may not have been aware of. Alot of new members find us thru search engines and key words.
wldspirit
___________________________

"Cambiano i suonatori ma la musica è sempre quella."
User avatar
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.
Posts: 15251
Joined: 20 Feb 2003, 00:00
Location: Molise region, Italy
Contact:

Re: Fopeano heritage

Post by suanj »

vj wrote:suanj, I agree the manifest is very interesting!
K said that Gaspare's wife was born in 1823, this record would fit.
suanj‘s :D 1851 manifest find
Valarie
Thanks vj!
In 1860 census the first child, Mary daughter is 10 old... matching enough with ship's manifest... the first name is Mary and not Antonietta... but it is no a problem... the mother died after last birthchild...

I found that a Foppiano emigrated around 1850 coming from Chiavari
(Genova)...

maybe also Gaspare....
all the best,
suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
pink67
Master
Master
Posts: 4461
Joined: 25 Oct 2005, 00:00
Location: italia - liguria

Re: Fopeano heritage

Post by pink67 »

suanj wrote:Hi Valarie, is a strange surname... Rebura....(!)
I have no idea of exact spell...
I think the correct spell is Rebora....
Suanj wrote:I found that a Foppiano emigrated around 1850 coming from Chiavari
(Genova)...
I agree with you Suanj, it's the area where I live and Both Foppiano and Rebora are pretty common last names here. Genova, Rapallo (especially for Foppiano), Chiavari....

Ciao
Laura
vj
Master
Master
Posts: 8066
Joined: 16 Aug 2002, 00:00

Re: Fopeano heritage

Post by vj »

Hey Katie,
Laura's clue on the boarder's name may help -
it looks like both suanj and Laura are zeroing in on the area in Italy that your family came from :D .
---

More clues?

and if all else fails, there’s always neighbors, local history and the in-laws :wink: .

Here’s the 1870 census (missing from ancestry. com)
It appears the neighbors were also from Italy, perhaps from the same area

1870 census
---

This bit from the local history was found doing a google search.


Elk County
Chapter XIX
Biographical Sketches - Fox Township - Horton Township
http://books.google.com/books?id=bx4VAA ... utput=html
JOHN CUNEO, merchant, Brockport, is a native of sunny Italy, born in 1842. Coming to America in 1854, he located at Kersey, Elk Co., Penn., where he engaged as a laborer until 1874, when he moved to Brockport, same county, and in 1875 established here his present general store, which he has since conducted. In 1861 he enlisted in Company F, Fifty- eighth Pennsylvania Volunteers, and served with them one year. He was then transferred to the Seventh Massachusetts Battery, and was honorably discharged at Chapin Farm, Va., in 1864. He married, in 1872, Miss Mary Catherine Fopeano, a lady of American birth and Italian descent, and they have eight children: Cecelia, Allie A., Phineas, Lucius, Thomas, Alena, Jennie and Ward. Mr. Cuneo is a Republican, and has served as postmaster of Brockport eleven years; at the present time he is one of the auditors of Horton township. The family are members of the Catholic Church.
User avatar
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.
Posts: 15251
Joined: 20 Feb 2003, 00:00
Location: Molise region, Italy
Contact:

Re: Fopeano heritage

Post by suanj »

great work VJ!
hugs,
suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
pink67
Master
Master
Posts: 4461
Joined: 25 Oct 2005, 00:00
Location: italia - liguria

Re: Fopeano heritage

Post by pink67 »

vj wrote:Hey Katie,
Laura's clue on the boarder's name may help -
it looks like both suanj and Laura are zeroing in on the area in Italy that your family came from :D .
---

More clues?

and if all else fails, there’s always neighbors, local history and the in-laws :wink: .

Here’s the 1870 census (missing from ancestry. com)
It appears the neighbors were also from Italy, perhaps from the same area

1870 census
---
Klmarchetti, Valarie, Suanj....

That's true....
Valarie is right...
In the census I was able to recognize the last names Foppiano, Cuneo and Boitano, all coming from Genoa Province.. :D

Laura
vj
Master
Master
Posts: 8066
Joined: 16 Aug 2002, 00:00

Re: Fopeano heritage

Post by vj »

Laura :D and suanj :D ,
That's terrific information!
Even if Katie can't find her definitive family record stating their exact town of origin :( ,
she can be assured that her family history was correct - the family was from Genoa province!
Valarie
User avatar
klmarchetti
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 11
Joined: 06 Jan 2009, 22:57

Re: Fopeano heritage

Post by klmarchetti »

Wow, thank you so much! I do know that Mary Catherine Fopeano was my great-aunt (I think?) and she married a John Cuneo! I really appreciate everyone's help! I would not be nearly as far along in this project without you. It's really amazing to see all of these pieces of my history. :D
pink67
Master
Master
Posts: 4461
Joined: 25 Oct 2005, 00:00
Location: italia - liguria

Re: Fopeano heritage

Post by pink67 »

suanj wrote:maybe this is the ship's manifest of Gaspare FOPPIANO:

New York Passenger Lists, 1820-1957
about G Foppiano
Name: G Foppiano
Arrival Date: 9 Apr 1851
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1818
Age: 33
Gender: Male
Port of Departure: Genoa, Italy
Destination: United States of America
Place of Origin: Italy
Ethnicity/Race­/Nationality: Italian
Ship Name: Arbace

Search Ship Database: Search the Arbace in the 'Passenger Ships and Images' database
Port of Arrival: New York
Line: 5
Microfilm Serial: M237
Microfilm Roll: M237_96
List Number: 314
Port Arrival State: New York
Port Arrival Country: United States

in travel with Maria Canessa (?) FOPPIANO wife age 28 and little Antonietta daughter 5 months old...
frankly, I believe this is a interesting record....[/b]

the best, suanj
Klmarchetti,

I think you could be happy to know that in Rapallo (just 15 miles from the town where I live) since two years ago there is a "Reunion" of all the people with the Canessa Last name:

http://www.casatodeicanessa.org/dblog/s ... amento=asc

I recently had the news that this year this "International meeting" will be not only for the Canessa last name but for all the most ancient last names form Rapallo area, here is the link:

http://www.liguriantighi.it/

here you can find the list of the "ancient" last names:

http://www.liguriantighi.it/cognomi.htm

Just to let you know.... Maybe you can think to come here in september... :wink:

Laura
Post Reply