Hello!
There are a number of ‘lists’ of genealogy research sites on the internet
Here are a few that may help our forum members
Some of these links may require copying and pasting onto your address bar
If you run into a site that is subscription only, let us know.
Many of us have subscriptions that may help.
Please add your favorite free sites to this post!
Valarie
---
FamilySearch
http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/default.asp
FamilySearch Labs (requires one time registration)
http://labs.familysearch.org/
Google Web Search can be surprising
http://www.google.com/intl/en/options/
+surname (no space after the +) +location
Also check Google News, Google News Archives and Google Books
GenWeb Master Search
http://www.usgwarchives.net/search/sear ... m=extended
Vital Records:
http://www.deathindexes.com/
Immigration
Steve Morse’s gold form for Ellis Island (requires one time registration):
http://www.jewishgen.org/databases/EIDB/ellisgold.html
Also, Castle Garden passengers.
http://www.stevemorse.org/ellis/cg.html
Naturalization:
http://home.att.net/~wee-monster/naturalization.html
Cemeteries:
http://userdb.rootsweb.ancestry.com/cemeteries/
http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi
http://www.interment.net/
Message Boards:
http://boards.rootsweb.com/
http://genforum.genealogy.com/
Family Trees (but so many don’t have source info…)
http://wc.rootsweb.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi
Favorite General Site:
http://www.cyndislist.com/
Family Tree Magazine Top Ranked Sites:
http://www.familytreemagazine.com/101sites/2007/
edit to fix broken links
Free sites
Re: Free sites
Thanks vj..
I'm sure we can all benefit from these sites. Hopefully others will add to the list and Lee may be able to add it to the collection of links she is making up as a sticky. It may take a while though so please be patient!
I'm sure we can all benefit from these sites. Hopefully others will add to the list and Lee may be able to add it to the collection of links she is making up as a sticky. It may take a while though so please be patient!
Re: Free sites
I am trying to find the time to organize and submit those links....
I have over 400 links related to genealogy research, most of these are primarily US and Italy, although there are some for other foreign locations.
All but a few are free sites, and most contain databases that can be searched for records.
The databases that I do have for Italy are of course in Italian, and they to
contain original records or indexes.
I need a secretary!!
Or at the very least a collaborator to help with this project!!
Lee
I have over 400 links related to genealogy research, most of these are primarily US and Italy, although there are some for other foreign locations.
All but a few are free sites, and most contain databases that can be searched for records.
The databases that I do have for Italy are of course in Italian, and they to
contain original records or indexes.
I need a secretary!!
Lee
___________________________
"Cambiano i suonatori ma la musica è sempre quella."
"Cambiano i suonatori ma la musica è sempre quella."
Re: Free sites
Lee,
I've seen your links! It took me hours to go through them. Unfortunately, they are no longer available in the format that you had originally posted them (that site upgraded and all the information was lost).
I understand what you mean..I also need a secretary!
I've seen your links! It took me hours to go through them. Unfortunately, they are no longer available in the format that you had originally posted them (that site upgraded and all the information was lost).
I understand what you mean..I also need a secretary!
Re: Free sites
I'm sorry that all that information was lost, but the good thing is......
I hadn't gotten the chance to finish it, I had only submitted about 1/4 of the links.....
So for the last few days here I am organizing them by categories and sub-categories......hopefully I can finish by the beginning of the week.
Then comes the chore of linking each one......
Lee
I hadn't gotten the chance to finish it, I had only submitted about 1/4 of the links.....
So for the last few days here I am organizing them by categories and sub-categories......hopefully I can finish by the beginning of the week.
Then comes the chore of linking each one......
Lee
___________________________
"Cambiano i suonatori ma la musica è sempre quella."
"Cambiano i suonatori ma la musica è sempre quella."


