NY Sottile family might be related to author Henrik Ibsen
- thelebrity
- Newbie

- Posts: 18
- Joined: 12 Nov 2008, 23:21
- Location: Oppegard, Norway
Re: NY Sottile family might be related to author Henrik Ibse
Thank you very much for the 1930 census images. Antony and Tressa are surely the right ones, even though Nathan/Nathley seems to be a girl... But I don't think the Sollie-family is the right one. Actually I just remember that Anthony's death certificate said he had been living at his last adress for about 40 years. He and Rose should therefor be found at 551 Nostrand Avenue. Would it be possible for you to check this address in the 1930 census?
- thelebrity
- Newbie

- Posts: 18
- Joined: 12 Nov 2008, 23:21
- Location: Oppegard, Norway
Re: NY Sottile family might be related to author Henrik Ibse
And in that case they would also be living at Nostrand avenue in the 1920 census. Maybe even in the 1910 census.
- thelebrity
- Newbie

- Posts: 18
- Joined: 12 Nov 2008, 23:21
- Location: Oppegard, Norway
Re: NY Sottile family might be related to author Henrik Ibse
Pink67: The family you found in the 1930 census surely is the right one! I'd misread Anthony's death certificate. His adress was not Nostrand avenue (that was the adress of his son John in 1947). Anthony's address was 6024 St. Felix Avenue, the same adress as is written on the census sheet!
However the family doesn't seem to live at this adress in 1920, but I've found a family in Ulster county in the 1920 census: http://da2.uib.no/webdebatt/bilete/bilete6366.jpg
I have problems reading some of the first names. Hopefully some of you guys are better at it than I am.
Is it possible to find this family at Ulster in the 1910 census?
However the family doesn't seem to live at this adress in 1920, but I've found a family in Ulster county in the 1920 census: http://da2.uib.no/webdebatt/bilete/bilete6366.jpg
I have problems reading some of the first names. Hopefully some of you guys are better at it than I am.
Is it possible to find this family at Ulster in the 1910 census?
Re: NY Sottile family might be related to author Henrik Ibse
Hi!
I was pretty sure the census was right because there were really many coincidences
Well, the names of the child of the 1920 census might be:
Gabriel, age 29 , Widow, born in IT
Reuben? age 13, born NY
Mary, age 10, born in NY
Sunday? age 9, born in NY
Nellie, age 6, born in NY
James, age 5, born in NY
Jerry? Grand-son (Gabriel's son) age 2 years and 5 months?
I found also (in case you don't have it) the military enlistment for Gabriel:
World War I Draft Registration Cards, 1917-1918
about Gabriel Sottile
Name: Gabriel Sottile
City: Not Stated
County: Ulster
State: New York
Birthplace: Italy
Birth Date: 14 Jul 1890 Rogliano / Cosenza / Italy
Race: Caucasian (White)
Roll: 1819115
DraftBoard: 1
Age:
Date on the document June 5, 1917, he was married and was supporting his wife.
Image:
[img=http://img21.imageshack.us/img21/5854/s ... ur9.th.jpg]
Laura
I was pretty sure the census was right because there were really many coincidences
Well, the names of the child of the 1920 census might be:
Gabriel, age 29 , Widow, born in IT
Reuben? age 13, born NY
Mary, age 10, born in NY
Sunday? age 9, born in NY
Nellie, age 6, born in NY
James, age 5, born in NY
Jerry? Grand-son (Gabriel's son) age 2 years and 5 months?
I found also (in case you don't have it) the military enlistment for Gabriel:
World War I Draft Registration Cards, 1917-1918
about Gabriel Sottile
Name: Gabriel Sottile
City: Not Stated
County: Ulster
State: New York
Birthplace: Italy
Birth Date: 14 Jul 1890 Rogliano / Cosenza / Italy
Race: Caucasian (White)
Roll: 1819115
DraftBoard: 1
Age:
Date on the document June 5, 1917, he was married and was supporting his wife.
Image:
[img=http://img21.imageshack.us/img21/5854/s ... ur9.th.jpg]
Laura
Re: NY Sottile family might be related to author Henrik Ibse
Here you can find the first arrival for Gabriele (age 15) travelling with his father Antonio... they were coming from Rogliano (Cosenza Province - Calabria region http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rogliano ) going to Rondant/Bondant NY to join the uncle Sottile Pietro.. They declared it was the first arrival for them both.
New York Passenger Lists, 1820-1957
about Gabriele Sottile
Name: Gabriele Sottile
Arrival Date: 1 Jun 1905
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1890
Age: 15
Gender: Male
Port of Departure: Naples, Italy
Ethnicity/RaceÂ/Nationality: Latin
Ship Name: Prinzess Irene
Search Ship Database: Search the Prinzess Irene in the 'Passenger Ships and Images' database
Port of Arrival: New York, New York
Line: 2
Microfilm Serial: T715
Microfilm Roll: T715_581
Page Number: 55
Image:
[img=http://img187.imageshack.us/img187/6230 ... zk4.th.jpg]
I don't know if you're interested in finding genelogical records for the Sottile family, in case I can point out to you this free site, from the State Archive in Cosenza:
http://88.59.143.158/ascs_web/index.faces
Laura
edit to add:
First arrival for Rose (Anthony's wife and child: daughter Teresina age 11, son Pasquale age 11, son Giovanni age 4)
New York Passenger Lists, 1820-1957
about Rosa Altomare
Name: Rosa Altomare
Arrival Date: 1 Jun 1906
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1874
Age: 32
Gender: Female
Port of Departure: Naples, Italy
Ethnicity/RaceÂ/Nationality: Italian (South) (Italian)
Ship Name: Konig Albert
Search Ship Database: View the Konig Albert in the 'Passenger Ships and Images' database
Port of Arrival: New York, New York
Line: 7
Microfilm Serial: T715
Microfilm Roll: T715_719
Page Number: 99
From Rogliano to Rondant? NY to join her husband Antonio Sottile...
Image:
[img=http://img210.imageshack.us/img210/9871 ... wq8.th.jpg]
So John had several siblings...
New York Passenger Lists, 1820-1957
about Gabriele Sottile
Name: Gabriele Sottile
Arrival Date: 1 Jun 1905
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1890
Age: 15
Gender: Male
Port of Departure: Naples, Italy
Ethnicity/RaceÂ/Nationality: Latin
Ship Name: Prinzess Irene
Search Ship Database: Search the Prinzess Irene in the 'Passenger Ships and Images' database
Port of Arrival: New York, New York
Line: 2
Microfilm Serial: T715
Microfilm Roll: T715_581
Page Number: 55
Image:
[img=http://img187.imageshack.us/img187/6230 ... zk4.th.jpg]
I don't know if you're interested in finding genelogical records for the Sottile family, in case I can point out to you this free site, from the State Archive in Cosenza:
http://88.59.143.158/ascs_web/index.faces
Laura
edit to add:
First arrival for Rose (Anthony's wife and child: daughter Teresina age 11, son Pasquale age 11, son Giovanni age 4)
New York Passenger Lists, 1820-1957
about Rosa Altomare
Name: Rosa Altomare
Arrival Date: 1 Jun 1906
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1874
Age: 32
Gender: Female
Port of Departure: Naples, Italy
Ethnicity/RaceÂ/Nationality: Italian (South) (Italian)
Ship Name: Konig Albert
Search Ship Database: View the Konig Albert in the 'Passenger Ships and Images' database
Port of Arrival: New York, New York
Line: 7
Microfilm Serial: T715
Microfilm Roll: T715_719
Page Number: 99
From Rogliano to Rondant? NY to join her husband Antonio Sottile...
Image:
[img=http://img210.imageshack.us/img210/9871 ... wq8.th.jpg]
So John had several siblings...
Re: NY Sottile family might be related to author Henrik Ibse
Possible death dates for James Sottile?:pink67 wrote:Well, the names of the child of the 1920 census might be:
Gabriel, age 29 , Widow, born in IT
Reuben? age 13, born NY
Mary, age 10, born in NY
Sunday? age 9, born in NY
Nellie, age 6, born in NY
James, age 5, born in NY
Jerry? Grand-son (Gabriel's son) age 2 years and 5 months?
California Death Index, 1940-1997
about Vincent James Sottile
Name: Vincent James Sottile
Social Security #:
Sex: MALE
Birth Date: 25 Jul 1915
Birthplace: New York
Death Date: 23 Feb 1991
Death Place: San Luis Obispo
Mother's Maiden Name: Altamari
In fact, Rose's maiden name was Altomare...
Re: NY Sottile family might be related to author Henrik Ibse
Possible 1930 census for Pasquale/Patrick Sottile:
1930 United States Federal Census
about Patrick Sottile
Name: Patrick Sottile
Home in 1930: Brooklyn, Kings, New York
Age: 32
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1898
Birthplace: Italy
Relation to Head of House: Head
Spouse's Name: Mary
Race: White
Occupation:
Education:
Military service:
Rent/home value:
Age at first marriage:
Parents' birthplace: View Image
Neighbors: View others on page
Household Members: Name Age
Patrick Sottile 32 head, born in IT, immigr. 1906, occupation Mechanic -Automobiles
Mary Sottile 31 wife, born in IT
Angeline Sottile 8 daughter, born in NY
Anthony Sottile 6 son, born in NY
Lillian Sottile 2 11/12 daughter, born in NY
Jerup Sottile 12 nephew, born in NY on the manifest Jerry
I think this boy might have been Gabriele's son....
Image:
[img=http://img8.imageshack.us/img8/3517/sot ... ao9.th.jpg]
Laura
1930 United States Federal Census
about Patrick Sottile
Name: Patrick Sottile
Home in 1930: Brooklyn, Kings, New York
Age: 32
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1898
Birthplace: Italy
Relation to Head of House: Head
Spouse's Name: Mary
Race: White
Occupation:
Education:
Military service:
Rent/home value:
Age at first marriage:
Parents' birthplace: View Image
Neighbors: View others on page
Household Members: Name Age
Patrick Sottile 32 head, born in IT, immigr. 1906, occupation Mechanic -Automobiles
Mary Sottile 31 wife, born in IT
Angeline Sottile 8 daughter, born in NY
Anthony Sottile 6 son, born in NY
Lillian Sottile 2 11/12 daughter, born in NY
Jerup Sottile 12 nephew, born in NY on the manifest Jerry
I think this boy might have been Gabriele's son....
Image:
[img=http://img8.imageshack.us/img8/3517/sot ... ao9.th.jpg]
Laura
Re: NY Sottile family might be related to author Henrik Ibse
Perhaps these may be the death dates for Jerry Sottile (son of Gabriel the first son of Anthony and Rose):
Social Security Death Index
about Jerewiali G. Sottile
Name: Jerewiali G. Sottile
SSN:
Last Residence: 34224 Englewood, Sarasota, Florida, United States of America
Born: 11 Sep 1917
Died: 5 Apr 1998
State (Year) SSN issued: New York (Before 1951)
Florida Death Index, 1877-1998
about Jerewiali Gabriel Sottile
Name: Jerewiali Gabriel Sottile
Death Date: 5 Apr 1998
County of Death: Sarasota
State of Death: Florida
Age at Death: 80
Race: White
Birth Date: 11 Sep 1917
What do you think about this record?
Social Security Death Index
about Jerewiali G. Sottile
Name: Jerewiali G. Sottile
SSN:
Last Residence: 34224 Englewood, Sarasota, Florida, United States of America
Born: 11 Sep 1917
Died: 5 Apr 1998
State (Year) SSN issued: New York (Before 1951)
Florida Death Index, 1877-1998
about Jerewiali Gabriel Sottile
Name: Jerewiali Gabriel Sottile
Death Date: 5 Apr 1998
County of Death: Sarasota
State of Death: Florida
Age at Death: 80
Race: White
Birth Date: 11 Sep 1917
What do you think about this record?
- thelebrity
- Newbie

- Posts: 18
- Joined: 12 Nov 2008, 23:21
- Location: Oppegard, Norway
Re: NY Sottile family might be related to author Henrik Ibse
Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!
Incredible work here. After what you've found I think this Sottile family consisted of the following members:
Anthony and Rose
Children:
Gabriele, born ca 1890
Theresina, born ca. 1895
Pasquale/Patrick, born ca. 1898
Giovanni/John, born ca. 1902 (married to Henrik Ibsen's granddaughter)
Reuben/Ruby, born ca. 1907
Mary, born ca. 1910
Sunday/Susie, born ca. 1911
Nettie/Anoinette/Anthony???, born ca. 1914
James, ca. 1915
In the 1920 Ulster census there is one more Sottile on the line underneath grandson Jerry. Are you able to read his name/family position?
Up to now I thought Anthony and Rose Sotile only hadtwo son's John and Anthony Jr. who are buried on the family plot at St. John's. Now I have a lot more leads to find members of he Sottile family that might tell me more about John's wife, Alvilde Magdalene Henderson aka Margaret Henderson aka Margaret Sottile, who was the unknown granddaughter of the world famous playwright and author Henrik Ibsen.
regards,
Per Helge
Incredible work here. After what you've found I think this Sottile family consisted of the following members:
Anthony and Rose
Children:
Gabriele, born ca 1890
Theresina, born ca. 1895
Pasquale/Patrick, born ca. 1898
Giovanni/John, born ca. 1902 (married to Henrik Ibsen's granddaughter)
Reuben/Ruby, born ca. 1907
Mary, born ca. 1910
Sunday/Susie, born ca. 1911
Nettie/Anoinette/Anthony???, born ca. 1914
James, ca. 1915
In the 1920 Ulster census there is one more Sottile on the line underneath grandson Jerry. Are you able to read his name/family position?
Up to now I thought Anthony and Rose Sotile only hadtwo son's John and Anthony Jr. who are buried on the family plot at St. John's. Now I have a lot more leads to find members of he Sottile family that might tell me more about John's wife, Alvilde Magdalene Henderson aka Margaret Henderson aka Margaret Sottile, who was the unknown granddaughter of the world famous playwright and author Henrik Ibsen.
regards,
Per Helge
- thelebrity
- Newbie

- Posts: 18
- Joined: 12 Nov 2008, 23:21
- Location: Oppegard, Norway
Re: NY Sottile family might be related to author Henrik Ibse
I think I've found Patrick in the SSDI: Born january 29. 1898, dead august 1982. (SS number: 082-28-7451), 11234 Brooklyn, Kings, New York.
That is very close to where John and Margaret lived, and it is likely that they had contact. I wonder if it's possible to trace down any of Patrick's children. Maybe Lillian is still alive..?
That is very close to where John and Margaret lived, and it is likely that they had contact. I wonder if it's possible to trace down any of Patrick's children. Maybe Lillian is still alive..?
Re: NY Sottile family might be related to author Henrik Ibse
Hi Per
The person in the 1920 census is Louis Sottile listed as "boarder", due to his last name possible he was a relative, even if I noticed that in Kingstown there were many Sottiles...
I sent you a PM...
Laura
The person in the 1920 census is Louis Sottile listed as "boarder", due to his last name possible he was a relative, even if I noticed that in Kingstown there were many Sottiles...
I sent you a PM...
Laura
