TOP 10 MISTAKES

General Non-Genealogy Discussions.
Ask questions, chat and talk about anything.

Top 10 Most Common Genealogy Mistakes

Misspelling Genealogy
2
7%
Not Talking To Relatives Soon Enough
16
53%
Trusting Print/Internet Resources
1
3%
Starting Research at Someone Famous
0
No votes
Focusing Completely on Names and Dates
0
No votes
Using Generic Family Histories and Crests
2
7%
Trusting Family Legends
6
20%
Using Exact Spelling when Searching
1
3%
Not Documenting Sources
2
7%
Going Straight to Country of Origin
0
No votes
 
Total votes: 30

User avatar
Edmondo
Staff
Staff
Posts: 778
Joined: 11 Jul 2002, 00:00
Location: Amsterdam, the Netherlands
Contact:

Re: TOP 10 MISTAKES

Post by Edmondo »

You can't because 10 options is the maximum.

You created a great and very interesting poll but the authorization to create polls was a mistake :oops: and I am sorry to say that for now I closed the authorization.

I voted Not Talking To Relatives Soon Enough. I started my genealogy search after my grandfather died in 1991 (see his picture in the top banner :lol: ). He could have given me so much information.


rfornal wrote:Not sure how to add it or if I can change a vote, but thanks for the comment ...
User avatar
JamesBianco
Staff
Staff
Posts: 879
Joined: 31 Dec 2004, 00:00
Location: Westfield, MA.
Contact:

Re: TOP 10 MISTAKES

Post by JamesBianco »

Edmondo wrote:You can't because 10 options is the maximum.

You created a great and very interesting poll but the authorization to create polls was a mistake :oops: and I am sorry to say that for now I closed the authorization.
Why Edmondo? it's a great way to get some interesting and useful dialogue going.

:(
User avatar
elba
V.I.P.
V.I.P.
Posts: 739
Joined: 15 Feb 2006, 00:00
Location: The Alps - N.Italy

Re: TOP 10 MISTAKES

Post by elba »

rfornal wrote:.....We all generally include our basic information, but how many of us include our story (as well as the story of our research) for future generations. I think I'd rather include my story instead of the questionable stories I hear about some of my family members.
LOL - I don't think you would want to hear 'Naughty' Nina's (my grandmother's) story. It would make your hair curl. Ask Nuccia - she laughed so much and suggested it should be made into a film!!!!!!

elba
If you think education is expensive - try ignorance!
"Gente di Mare Genealogy"
User avatar
Edmondo
Staff
Staff
Posts: 778
Joined: 11 Jul 2002, 00:00
Location: Amsterdam, the Netherlands
Contact:

Re: TOP 10 MISTAKES

Post by Edmondo »

I had my doubts too about what would be best that is why I opened this function again but only for the "Off Topic" section.
JamesBianco wrote:
Why Edmondo? it's a great way to get some interesting and useful dialogue going.

:(
nuccia
Staff
Staff
Posts: 4606
Joined: 20 Nov 2005, 00:00
Location: Toronto, Canada
Contact:

Re: TOP 10 MISTAKES

Post by nuccia »

Thanks Edmondo...

I think thats a fair comprimise. Its the best place for a poll. Especially for such an interesting topic such as this which is very useful when discussing our experiences in researching.

nuccia
nuccia - IG Moderator
Italian Surname Database
Image
User avatar
rfornal
Staff
Staff
Posts: 522
Joined: 04 Aug 2006, 00:00
Location: Columbus, Ohio
Contact:

Re: TOP 10 MISTAKES

Post by rfornal »

... did I cause more problems ... not the intent ;) :) ;)
nuccia
Staff
Staff
Posts: 4606
Joined: 20 Nov 2005, 00:00
Location: Toronto, Canada
Contact:

Re: TOP 10 MISTAKES

Post by nuccia »

rfornal wrote:... did I cause more problems ... not the intent ;) :) ;)
Now you know you're really part of the "crowd". :lol: :lol:

Don't sweat it...just add it to the Top 10 mistakes list! :lol: :lol:

nuccia :D
john_dominic
Veteran
Veteran
Posts: 140
Joined: 07 Dec 2004, 00:00
Contact:

Re: TOP 10 MISTAKES

Post by john_dominic »

You know, come to think of it - I voted for trusting family stories, but asking relatives early enough has to be number one.

If I had dug through my great-grandmothers while they were still alive (on my mother's side they lived to be 90 and 100, respectively, and died about 10 years ago), I would have gotten a lot further, easier - and known many more stories - not to mention, would have gotten photos of certain people, which are now lost, forever.

I did make a point after their death to contact a great-great-grandaunt (yes, it was possible, not worth explaining) but she didn't have any information on my side of the family - although, hopefully her descended relatives might (the one I contacted was not cooperative, however).
User avatar
Graffeo
Rookie
Rookie
Posts: 82
Joined: 05 Oct 2006, 00:00
Location: Cedar Hill, TX

Re: TOP 10 MISTAKES

Post by Graffeo »

Well I have the two brothers myth in my family. I have not found them yet on any record indexes.
nuccia
Staff
Staff
Posts: 4606
Joined: 20 Nov 2005, 00:00
Location: Toronto, Canada
Contact:

Re: TOP 10 MISTAKES

Post by nuccia »

Graffeo wrote:Well I have the two brothers myth in my family. I have not found them yet on any record indexes.
Not necessarily myths..just a bit hard to locate..have faith! :D

nuccia
User avatar
sharnstne
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 10
Joined: 31 Jan 2009, 07:41
Location: Marengo, IL

Re: TOP 10 MISTAKES

Post by sharnstne »

Definitely, not talking to relatives soon enough is one's biggest mistake or rather regret. I have come to rely heavily on family legends and folklore, no matter how outlandish some of the stories may have sounded, the more I have investigated the more convince that these stories were true. Of, course - these are the "skeletons" in the closet and are nothing to brag about, but quite interesting just the same.

So my advise is to listen to those who want to talk, even if what they have to say sounds just a little weird... You will be surprise to find that even if the whole story is not 100% accurate, there is enoguh truth to help you in your quest.
Sharon Baseley
User avatar
aliza24
Veteran
Veteran
Posts: 247
Joined: 30 Jun 2007, 00:00
Location: Houston, TX

Re: TOP 10 MISTAKES

Post by aliza24 »

The # 1 has to be not talking to relatives soon enough.

Because all the other ones are correctable. But once a relative is gone their gone.
User avatar
aliza24
Veteran
Veteran
Posts: 247
Joined: 30 Jun 2007, 00:00
Location: Houston, TX

Re: TOP 10 MISTAKES

Post by aliza24 »

Good topic...and talking about family legends, here's a story I find funny.

My g-grandmother's family was from Sicily. She always said her husband was Northern Italian. In fact, they fought quite a bit and listed that as part of the reason. (That he was from so far up north and they were so different).

Anyway- I find out years later that he was from Pettorano sul gizio in Abruzzo. (east of Rome). It's not Naples or Calabria but it's hardly what I would call 'way up north".

Guess everything is relative huh? For a Sicilian, that's probably Northern Italy. :-)
Post Reply