I was wondering if anybody could provide some advice/guidance regarding the process for filing for Italian citizenship if one is legally residing outside one's home country. I am a US citizen, residing in Denmark. My regular consulate would be the one in Los Angeles, and due to their volume, I have heard it can take up to two years to get the paperwork through. I am prepared to wait and know I will have to be patient - as with the technique I had to employ getting documents from Italy. However, I was wondering if I could take advantage of the fact that I am living in Denmark and use the Italian consulate here instead. I'm thinking they might not have the volume of traffic that the one in Los Angeles, CA has.
Thoughts??
Thanks!
Surnames: Di Paola, Mazzaccaro and Vitale
Filing for Italian Citizenship while living abroad
-
PeterTimber
- Master

- Posts: 6811
- Joined: 16 Dec 2007, 18:57
- Location: Yonkers NY
Re: Filing for Italian Citizenship while living abroad
If you were an Italian citizen and permanent resident alien inthe USA you could go to the Italian Consulate in Denmark and request a new Italian Passport. Since you are an American Citizen and applying for an Italian Passport it would appear that you have the same right to make the same request since you are claiming Italian citizenship. =Peter=
~Peter~
Re: Filing for Italian Citizenship while living abroad
Thank you for your input!
Re: Filing for Italian Citizenship while living abroad
I'm in the same situation as you. I'm a U.S. citizen residing in Japan and Japan is where I applied for my Italian citizenship. Not only can you apply in Denmark, you technically are supposed to. It worked out great for me. I got to avoid the long waits at the consulates in the U.S. and I got very personalized help from the embassy staff here in Tokyo.
Re: Filing for Italian Citizenship while living abroad
Great news! Thank you so much!
