My great great grandfather is said to have grown up in an orphanage in Treviso. He was born in 1882 and immigrated to Canada in 1912 (back and forth Canada - Italy until 1923). I wrote the stato civile of the comune where his children were born and received extracts for his sons, his marriage, his wife and her parents, but nothing about him, except that he was born in Treviso.
Is all lost? Did orphanages keep records back then? Is his surname that of his father or was it given to him?
Has anyone else encountered this dilemma in their research before?
Adoption/Orphanage
Re: Adoption/Orphanage
Hi.......I just found out that my Grandmother was found by a woman and that she was a foundling .........I'm about to go to the LDS location and order the micro films for the yr that she was born to see if I can find out who raised her....It is the best place to start looking.......Good Luck....Sal4
Looking for surnames Iasalvatore (Salvatore), Tartaglia, Rosetta, Consola, Di Muccio, Castellano, Montanaro, Dipaolo, Costa, Sansone, Giudicianni and Laudato.

