certificate of italian citizenship

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
User avatar
AnthonyCo
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 5
Joined: 17 Apr 2009, 13:35

Re: certificate of italian citizenship

Post by AnthonyCo »

Thankyou Peter, Livio and Jerry for your information. I have just started looking into my family history and its very hard to know where to start looking. I have spent a couple of months trying to search for what exactly I needed, and this has been the first place where I got an answer, so thanks!
I will go into the consulate tomorrow and ask them if that will suffice.
I emailed the Comune di Lusiana, but I wrote it all in English. Im thinking I should resend it in badly translated Italian in case they ignored it (not sure what is more appropriate??)
Anthony
User avatar
AnthonyCo
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 5
Joined: 17 Apr 2009, 13:35

Re: certificate of italian citizenship

Post by AnthonyCo »

Also, should I offer money for their services and how much?
Anthony
User avatar
ChrisMosca
Elite
Elite
Posts: 390
Joined: 11 Dec 2007, 14:13

Re: certificate of italian citizenship

Post by ChrisMosca »

[quote="jwazevedo"]Have you asked the consulate for the Italian language version of what they want? Then you could use those exact words in your communication with the comune. The Italian Consulate in Vancouver asked me to provide: “Certificato di trascorso possesso della cittadinanza italianaâ€
Looking for the surnames Mosca( Marches ), Pizzoglio (Piedmonte), Chiacchiera, Lobasso(Bari), Gallo(Malvito), Azzolina (Messina).
User avatar
federici1999
Rookie
Rookie
Posts: 52
Joined: 06 Aug 2007, 00:00
Location: Florida

Re: certificate of italian citizenship

Post by federici1999 »

Post subject: Re: Certificate of Citizenship- What is it???

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A Certificato di cittadinanza is an official paper from the municipality where your ancestor was born, stating that at time of his birth he was an italian citizen. I have attached a copy of my grandfathers to show you what it looks like.
I hope it helps,
Thanks Bob

Looking for Federici and Cavalli from Bedonia
User avatar
jwazevedo
Veteran
Veteran
Posts: 212
Joined: 27 Feb 2009, 17:29

Re: certificate of italian citizenship

Post by jwazevedo »

Anthony,

If the letter you received from the comune doesn't look like federici1999's and mine, you might want to re-send the letter with the specific request. It's appropriate that the letter be in Italian. I used the form letter generator(s) recommended periodically in this forum, and it worked just great. The members in the Translations forum have been extremely helpful and kind in checking letters for people too. It is generally recommended in this forum that you not send money, as the service is provided as a matter of law by the comune. I didn't send money, and they sent me the materials. (I did send them a thank-you note afterwards.)

Chris,

I can't help you. I've not yet submitted my application as I'm still waiting for the naturalization papers from the USCIS. They claim that the process takes only a couple of months once the paperwork is submitted, but I can't verify that. Sorry!

Best,
Jerry
User avatar
AnthonyCo
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 5
Joined: 17 Apr 2009, 13:35

Re: certificate of italian citizenship

Post by AnthonyCo »

Big thanks to Peter, Livio, federici1999 and Jerry for helping me find out information to obtain my grandfather's certificato di cittadinanza storico.
After 5 months of getting all the forms together, i finally submitted my application for italian citizenship and will now be able to get my italian passport before i leave to europe in july, which is great!!
one last question. my brother also wants to get citizenship, but is worried about getting recruited by the italian government to join the army. is it compulsory to join the army if u live overseas/in italy?
once again, thanks for your quick replies, it was very helpful.
anthony
Post Reply